open source plugin engine

enough of this banter. only post on legal ramifications if you are representative of asw.

What, you want us to have Dave Williams or Matt Slot come hear and beat you over the head with what we've already told you? Are you in a dreamworld? Or just dumber than a box of rocks. I explained this to you on ev-nova.net too, if you'll recall. What you are trying to do is something that will diminish the value of Ambrosia Software's and Matt Burch's Intellectual Property, or IP. Therefore, if you ever really get going on this, you're going to end up with a Cease and Desist order. Because it's not as hard to find you from the Internet as you might think. Stop now, before lawyers get involved.

This post has been edited by CaptJosh : 05 March 2007 - 01:20 PM

Take it easy, Josh. If he wants to get Ambrosia's input on this, it's easily enough obtained. I've sent a PM to Dave asking for an official comment. We'll see what happens.

@derakon, on Mar 5 2007, 12:24 PM, said in open source plugin engine:

Take it easy, Josh. If he wants to get Ambrosia's input on this, it's easily enough obtained. I've sent a PM to Dave asking for an official comment. We'll see what happens.

For the record, it isn't Dave you need to talk to; at most, all he can do is give a (possibly irrelevant) thumbs-up about ( only ) Nova's scenario, and can't say absolutely anything about either of the three game engines or the other two scenarios.

John Champlin (MagnusApollo) would probably be the one to talk to, rather than going straight to Andrew.

I give this thumbs down. The engine is Matt's/Ambrosia's to do with as they like. An attempt to make a "work-alike" clone would be in breach of their copyright.

Let me make this perfectly clear -- making a new EV-like game that isn't called EV is perfectly acceptable , as long as it doesn't exactly mimic EV's featureset. Heck, EV itself is effectively an Elite clone. However , making an engine that runs EV plug-ins is not only too close to the functionality of the original, but could even be seen as an attempt to do the authors out of royalities that they might otherwise gain from sales of EVN in order to run TC projects.

TC projects aren't bound to EVN, of course -- they can convert any open plug-in architecture they like. If you're really that keen to make an open EV-like engine, why not start work on it, make it better than EV, and (let's say) easier to develop for, and then try and persuade existing plug-in TC makers to come over to your new platform?

In the meantime, I can't order you to cease and desist. Only Ambrosia can do that. However, a word from me and they will do so. I strongly suggest that you shift your attentions to an alternate plan.

Dave @ ATMOS

@pipeline, on Mar 5 2007, 08:58 PM, said in open source plugin engine:

I give this thumbs down. The engine is Matt's/Ambrosia's to do with as they like. An attempt to make a "work-alike" clone would be in breach of their copyright.

Let me make this perfectly clear -- making a new EV-like game that isn't called EV is perfectly acceptable , as long as it doesn't exactly mimic EV's featureset. Heck, EV itself is effectively an Elite clone. However , making an engine that runs EV plug-ins is not only too close to the functionality of the original, but could even be seen as an attempt to do the authors out of royalities that they might otherwise gain from sales of EVN in order to run TC projects.

TC projects aren't bound to EVN, of course -- they can convert any open plug-in architecture they like. If you're really that keen to make an open EV-like engine, why not start work on it, make it better than EV, and (let's say) easier to develop for, and then try and persuade existing plug-in TC makers to come over to your new platform?

In the meantime, I can't order you to cease and desist. Only Ambrosia can do that. However, a word from me and they will do so. I strongly suggest that you shift your attentions to an alternate plan.

Dave @ ATMOS

**A good note to lock this topic on.

_bomb