OnStart Control Bits

Char resource

i wanna make a profile who has done UN and Sigma. Not started but completed. also perhaps a way to right them combined on one line seeing as EVNew only has one OnStart code line.

help >.>

@lonewolf, on Jan 13 2007, 06:44 PM, said in OnStart Control Bits:

i wanna make a profile who has done UN and Sigma. Not started but completed. also perhaps a way to right them combined on one line seeing as EVNew only has one OnStart code line.

help >.>

Hmm … I think I understood this … So you want to make a new char resource which has already started two minor mission strings?

Well, EVNew only has one OnStart line because there is only one OnStart field. However, if you want to trigger more bits/other effects than one field gives you room for, you could use OnStart to set off crons or auto-aborting missions which will trigger more bits/effects.

Beyond that, you're going to have to be clearer about what the actual problem is …

This post has been edited by pac : 13 January 2007 - 01:57 PM

@pac, on Jan 13 2007, 01:56 PM, said in OnStart Control Bits:

Hmm I think I understood this So you want to make a new char resource which has already started two minor mission strings?

Yes

@pac, on Jan 13 2007, 01:56 PM, said in OnStart Control Bits:

Well, EVNew only has one OnStart line because there is only one OnStart field. However, if you want to trigger more bits/other effects than one field gives you room for, you could use OnStart to set off crons or auto-aborting missions which will trigger more bits/effects.

Beyond that, you're going to have to be clearer about what the actual problem is

lost me at "set off crons..."

i have pretty much no experience with bits what so ever O.o

@lonewolf, on Jan 13 2007, 07:04 PM, said in OnStart Control Bits:

Yes
lost me at "set off crons..."

i have pretty much no experience with bits what so ever O.o

Then why are you trying to do this in the first place?

Get some experience by working on some other things, and analysing how Nova does things, and then - if something more interesting doesn't intervene - come back to this once you know what you're doing.

If you don't understand how to do something, then it's not the place to start your plug-in.

.>

i just want to have a char where i can jump into a storyline because im not in the mood for doin everything from the beggining. also i dont want to deal with the plugs page. but w/e

now how do i delete this post? or at least close it.

@lonewolf, on Jan 13 2007, 07:21 PM, said in OnStart Control Bits:

i just want to have a char where i can jump into a storyline because im not in the mood for doin everything from the beggining.

Well, that's a much more difficult way to go about things. To begin with, you need to go through all the mission resources to figure out which bits you need to set.

Resource editing is a good way to cheat (by giving yourself ultimate weapons, or invincible ships), and it's good for making new content as well. But for taking a short-cut into a plot ? No - much trickier.

one question:

i know that bits are obviously used in mission strings, so say i want to start mission 209 (no idea what mission that is) would i just use the number 209 like b209?

@lonewolf, on Jan 13 2007, 07:33 PM, said in OnStart Control Bits:

i know that bits are obviously used in mission strings, so say i want to start mission 209 (no idea what mission that is) would i just use the number 209 like b209?

No, not at all. The number of a bit a mission sets need have nothing to do with the number of a mission. If, indeed, a mission sets any bits at all.

You really need to learn how missions and bits work before you start messing about with them.

its been a while before ive messed with missions, but my memory told me missions used bits to set the next mission.

Go to the important links topic and help yourself from there. There are links there for a plugin search engine and an NCB guide.

@lonewolf, on Jan 13 2007, 07:45 PM, said in OnStart Control Bits:

its been a while before ive messed with missions, but my memory told me missions used bits to set the next mission.

Some missions do, yes. But other missions repeat, and don't set any bits at all. Either way, the ID number of a mission has no necessary relation to the numbers of bits set by it.

Like Guy said, all the information you need can be found either in the Nova bible or in the topics stickied here.

mmk... dont think ill have time to today.

thanks for the help.

You don't have to set off any crons. Just set all of the bits (for all mission strings you need) in the one field. But first, learn what missionbits are like everyone else said.

You won't need to set up any crons, you'll just have bits that you can't see in the field but they'll still be there. You can type in the bits you want to set in Notepad and copy/paste into EVNEW.

@jacabyte, on Jan 13 2007, 11:00 PM, said in OnStart Control Bits:

You won't need to set up any crons, you'll just have bits that you can't see in the field but they'll still be there. You can type in the bits you want to set in Notepad and copy/paste into EVNEW.

But there is a limit on how many characters you can have in an 'OnXxx' field. I think it's about 256 characters, or something, so it's not too much to worry about, but potentially there is a limit which would force you to trigger off additional things to set the remainder of the bits (etc).

But I don't think he'll hit that setting bits related to UN Shipping and Sigma Shipyards.

@jacabyte, on Jan 14 2007, 12:11 AM, said in OnStart Control Bits:

But I don't think he'll hit that setting bits related to UN Shipping and Sigma Shipyards.

Seems unlikely, but that was my best interpretation of his question.

:huh:

btw the little thing of bits in the bible didn't help.

How so?

thats more of an in depth build off of the basics. ive been to lazy to get to the basics.