darn përs resource

& misc. frustrations

Hi all, ( sometime poster/long time lurker )

I've scanned the bible and the resources in the editor and searched the board and I think it's a lost cause, but I just want to make absolutely sure. Use the brain trust here.

I'd thought there was a way to make a përs show up more reliably, like 100% of the time, as soon as you want it. I thought that was one of the innovations of the new engine. If not, it's definitely on my wish list. I want to pass the mission string from planet bar to përs and back without having to wait endlessly for my përs to show up.

This is for a little project (really, a little one) I've had sitting around for ages, which ARPIA has inspired me to finish.

I can think of a couple of work-arounds, I could use specialshipdone dëscs for example. Unfortunately, I wrote the missions for the përs resource, and nothing else is quite as good.

So is it possible to do with a përs?

(edited for clarity)

This post has been edited by Bubbles : 04 January 2007 - 06:53 AM

Try making duplicates of the s˙st resources you are most interested in.
Ergo, if you want to make the përs appear in Sol all the time, modify the Sol variants. If you want it to appear after a certain thing has been done, create duplicates of Sol, and modify the VisBits of each variant (the original ones included).

Oh, and good to see ARPIA2 inspired someone 🙂

Why wouldn't putting the pers in the system resource and putting a visbit on the pers work? That would save syst resources.

Yes, as Pace says, the fields you're looking for are in the syst resource, not the pers one. If you're using ResEdit/NovaTools, they're in the bottom right hand corner of the syst editor. If you're using another editor, well, tell us which one and I'm sure someone will know where they are!

Yes, there it is! I thought I wouldn't have made it such a big part of the story line if I hadn't had a good idea how to do it. Thanks guys, that was quick.

This post has been edited by Bubbles : 02 January 2007 - 03:11 PM

And just in case you run into a related problem that has stumped many people, remember that a përs will not appear at all (it’s a side-effect of the engine feature that stops them from re-appearing after you destroy them) unless the plug-in containing it was present when your pilot file was created, so you’ll need to make sure your users start new pilots.

Thanks David, for me it's not a problem as I force players to come in through my chär resource. I'm having trouble seeing the screen where players can choose chär, but I'm not asking for help yet as I haven't yet had a chance to trouble-shoot. Or search the board.

Also haven't yet got Mash to work. I've been writing all my dëscs in Mash friendly format, but I get an error when I try to import my own texts. Then too, when I test the program on one of the test texts, I cant figure out where Mash saves.

Why not just copy and paste them into RedEdit/MC/whatever?

I assume that's re: Mash? Well of course I cut and paste, but I thought Mash might take out a bit of the busy-work. Also it would be useful since I do a lot of revising.

Use ResStore instead of Mash, that's what works for me.

@david-arthur, on Jan 2 2007, 04:23 PM, said in darn përs resource:

And just in case you run into a related problem that has stumped many people, remember that a përs will not appear at all (it’s a side-effect of the engine feature that stops them from re-appearing after you destroy them) unless the plug-in containing it was present when your pilot file was created, so you’ll need to make sure your users start new pilots.

Ahaha! I finally get the answer to the question I was always too embarrassed to ask!