Those Freakin Cool Vell-os Graphics

Does anyone have any Vell-os ship graphics? I know they're out there, but people are hogging them. I'm trying to make a small plugin about the 50 year Colonial-Vellos war, and I need some different ships.

I'd say just play around with things. Use foggy transparencies for the "wings", and a silvery, mirrory gray for the body. Then for engine glow just use volumetrics, or hand-draw if you've got a lot of time or a not-so-good renderer. Vell-os graphics will be numerous (and by the looks of things, very pretty) in The Aftermath, which will come out in 3.2 billion years (a few days after Arpia 2).

I must say I am looking forward to some of the Vell-os Capital ships in Aftermath. I am thinking about doing the opposite of Aftermath... I am thinking of what the Vell-os looked like in their glory days, and their war with the Colonials. This would not take a tremendous amount of modding, just adding the Aurorans to the Feds, giving the Galactic West to the Vellos, and making the Polaris a little less powerful. Not to mention adding missions. Overall, I think it could be done rather nicely. A lot of it would just be modifying Gov't and System resources.

Not an awful amount of modding?

As you said,

@incogitor, on Nov 16 2006, 03:49 PM, said in Vaporize the Vaporwarers!:

there are a lot of people not thinking of the work involved in developing a TC.

Ergo, you have no idea what you're talking about 😄

(for the info, I do)

I am not thinking of developing a TC. Although that is an idea. However, I don't want to go halfway then give up. I would rather do something a little less time consuming, like the plugin idea I mentioned. Oh, and I'm sure you do know what you are talking about. I did not, to my knowledge, ever say you didn't. However, if we compare the amount of work doing a TC and a plugin, the simpler plugin usually takes a little less time. I know some people are harping about my comments (which I do regret), but I do have some experience, and have already started on my plugin, which consists really of only modifying the Nova File rez's ( I use windows).

@incogitor, on Nov 16 2006, 03:07 PM, said in Those Freakin Cool Vell-os Graphics:

Nova File rez's ( I use windows).

NOOO!!!! Nova.rez contains valuable resources that Nova needs in order to run. EVNEW destroys these resources because it can't use them. It'll cause Nova to crash for no apparent reason at all.

No, not Nova.rez. I mean Nova Data 1, 2 etc.

I once found a cool picture of what looked like an angry Javelin. It was like a Javelin, only red with spikes along the side. The picture was called "Tesh-naraki" or something. Unfortunately, it's not posted online anywhere that I could find, and the copy I have of the picture is on Zergling II, which is currently in isolation until I can cure his narcolepsy this weekend.

@incogitor, on Nov 14 2006, 10:05 PM, said in Those Freakin Cool Vell-os Graphics:

Does anyone have any Vell-os ship graphics? I know they're out there, but people are hogging them. I'm trying to make a small plugin about the 50 year Colonial-Vellos war, and I need some different ships.

I wonder, do the Vell-os really need a larger fleet? To me, the amount they accomplish with relatively few ‘ship’ classes is one of their distinguishing features; you might be able to achieve a great deal having the Dart, Arrow, and Javelin standing against a much more complex and varied Colonial Council fleet, perhaps with a few variants to represent the different abilities of individual Vell-os.

For unusual ships, you could alter the feel of the existing ones using Photoshop filters, or even just change the colour using the Hue/Saturation commands.

@incogitor, on Nov 16 2006, 11:07 PM, said in Those Freakin Cool Vell-os Graphics:

I am not thinking of developing a TC. Although that is an idea. However, I don't want to go halfway then give up. I would rather do something a little less time consuming, like the plugin idea I mentioned. Oh, and I'm sure you do know what you are talking about. I did not, to my knowledge, ever say you didn't. However, if we compare the amount of work doing a TC and a plugin, the simpler plugin usually takes a little less time. I know some people are harping about my comments (which I do regret), but I do have some experience, and have already started on my plugin, which consists really of only modifying the Nova File rez's ( I use windows).

My point is that you underestimate the amount of work involved in recreating the Colonial Council era. The "Auroran Empire" did not exist until after the Vell-os war, i.e. after all these special Vell-os ships such as the Coriolis (of which pipeline made a model and posted an image in the EV Image Gallery) disappeared ("were banned by the Colonial Council" is my guess).

Basically, all of Federation and Auroran space has to be changed, systems and stellars alike (+ descriptions).

Then, you have to realise that ship designs change a lot in 600 years, especially for the Colonial Council.

Then comes the "storyline" factor (which, in my opinion, should be the first thing you concentrate on and write in this kind of plug-in).

Then comes the question of Wraith space, which will probably have to disappear from the map as well. And Vell-os systems will have to be changed also.
Polaris space will also have to be changed, but to a lesser effect. The ships are more age-old designs, but a few did not exist back then.

Etc etc

Basically, you're looking at something bigger than ARPIA2, probably even the size of Aftermath (can't compare to the other ones that have made significant progress, since they are not based in the novaverse).
That's what I mean by "you have no idea what you're talking about".
This is no simple plug-in you're thinking about, it's a really big one. And it's going to take time.

No hard feelings? 😄

Best regards,

Peter @ ARPIA

You have to take into account the history given in Nova. the IDA Frigate was state of the art in the Colonial era.

Counting on your fingers. (Otherwise known as.... Beforemath!)

@jacabyte, on Nov 16 2006, 03:55 PM, said in Those Freakin Cool Vell-os Graphics:

NOOO!!!! Nova.rez contains valuable resources that Nova needs in order to run. EVNEW destroys these resources because it can't use them. It'll cause Nova to crash for no apparent reason at all.

It does? Oh...woops :laugh: Although, Nova never really did crash even though I opened the Nova.rez file like 4 times. 😛

You can open it as many times as you want, just don't hit the save button.