A port of a port of an EV Classic plug...

to make the smallest (in mb) NOVA TC

Since the Star Wars TCs went up in smoke (that I know of), I thought i'd port the infamous Star Wars (SW2 1.0.3) plug to Nova. Effectively making a port of a port and smoothing out any bugs that I can and rebalance everything for the new Nova engine. I've noticed the plug was made back in 1997 and it may not be possible to contact the developer to ask permission.

So far, I have downloaded the newest version of EVONE and the StarWars2103 plug. Will I be able to port the plug without paying EVONE's shareware fee? I ask this because it was made back in 2002 and the Arios Software page says copyright 2003. Also... I've read about an app called "Port Authority" that was used to make the EV/EVO TCs for Nova. Has Port Authority been released yet?

Is this OK to do? I think it would be fun.

Port Authority has never been released. There is, however, another program made by SpacePirate and I called SpacePort that works very well. There were some issues some people noted when I unleashed the 1.2 beta; I'll dig them up. Someday I'll get around to fixing them.

For now, you can grab 1.2.0b1 here (a Mac with StuffIt required).

As for whether or not is is "okay" to do, the generally accepted etiquette is to simply ask for permission from the author. If they give you the okay, just make sure they get credit. If they say no, don't touch it. I forget what we were supposed to do if there's no response. Someone with less of a life will be along to fill you in, I'm sure. 🙂

This post has been edited by orcaloverbri9 : 25 June 2006 - 12:04 AM

And the smallest TC is Edwards' Teacup TC, which is about 350 kb.

@orcaloverbri9, on Jun 25 2006, 12:03 AM, said in A port of a port of an EV Classic plug...:

As for whether or not is is "okay" to do, the generally accepted etiquette is to simply ask for permission from the author. If they give you the okay, just make sure they get credit. If they say no, don't touch it. I forget what we were supposed to do if there's no response.

Well, if obeying the law matters to you at all, you won’t do anything to a plug-in without its author’s permission. Unfortunately, given the insults Kris Hauser received at one point form people frustrated by an unauthorised and incompetent third-party port of one of his plug-ins to EV Override , I suspect he might not be all that willing to acquiesce.

Hmm. I remember someone saying he doubted Kris Hauser would give permission to port one of his Star Wars plug-ins. I guess that's why.

However, he may be willing to authorize a port for purely personal reasons (i.e. don't distribute it). We can't speak for him, though; if you want straight answers, you're going to have to ask him.

Well... i've sent Kris an email and hope for the best. Keep your fingers crossed folks! There may be a SW NOVA TC afterall. Maybe I can use the graphics from one of the dead TCs as a suppliment plug... IF everything works out perfectly.

@orcaloverbri9, on Jun 25 2006, 04:03 AM, said in A port of a port of an EV Classic plug...:

Port Authority has never been released. There is, however, another program made by SpacePirate and I called SpacePort that works very well. There were some issues some people noted when I unleashed the 1.2 beta; I'll dig them up. Someday I'll get around to fixing them.

I'll have to check that out.

@joshtigerheart, on Jun 25 2006, 04:15 AM, said in A port of a port of an EV Classic plug...:

And the smallest TC is Edwards' Teacup TC, which is about 350 kb.

Man... that's gonna be hard to beat... but not impossible.