Plug development on an Intel Mac

Anaxagoras, on Jan 21 2006, 12:11 AM, said:

It'd be possible if Apple thought people still generally use old programs. But Rosetta won't have support for Classic, which is why Zacha is so mind-bendingly awesome for doing this for the rest of the community.
View Post

-blushes-

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 22 January 2006 - 04:15 PM

Bad news.

Today when launching Nova, it switched to 16-bit (thousands) colors as usual. This triggered the symptoms. It was still quite readable so I have been able to quit Nova without problem, and when reverting to 32-bit colors (millions) the problem disappeared. It did not come back when relaunching Nova. But still it happened. It had already happened to me once in July but I decided that if it wouldn't come back then it wouldn't be necessary to repair.

I have one of the lucky iBooks

This can only mean one thing: I'll use it this weekend, but monday I'll go to an AASP to get it repaired. Amazingly enough, I bought this computer the 24th of january 2003, therefore I'm still covered so it'll be free. But this means I won't be able to do any work while it's being repaired, and my Internet access will be pretty limited.

As I told, I brought my iBook to repairs this morning. The guy said it would take one week, two maximum. I'm posting this from a school PC. Do not expect any progress on whatever work I'm doing.

Good news!

Rezilla's author recently got time to work on Rezilla and has confirmed my analysises and solutions for all three bugs. So he did a preview build of Rezilla fixing them, for us (me originally, but for obvious reasons...) to test before officialy releasing it. You can grab it at:

EDIT: removed Release Candidate build, use official 1.0.8 now

So, please download it and check that the bugs (opening of locked files, flags going up, crash with CASE-enabled spöb, you can grab the TMPL to test that there) have been fixed for you, I'll then mail him back that this build is good to go. Please don't spread this around too much, this is just a Release Candidate, to check that the bugs are indeed fixed; and replace it by official 1.0.8 once it's out.

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 22 February 2006 - 02:00 PM

nuku, on Jul 25 2005, 11:01 PM, said:

HOLY CRAP I WON'T HAVE MECHANISTO 😞 :mad:
View Post

Aureole is compiled as a universal binary and is Intel-ready.

I love you Zacha. I'll be testing this on my intel iMac.

(offTopic)

Soviet mikee, on Jul 24 2005, 09:43 AM, said:

You are aware that people will buy PC video cards and flash them with Mac software (that has drivers in OS X), right?
View Post

I did that very thing back in 2000 with a Voodoo2 PCI card. Worked like a treat. Saved me a few bob too.
(/offTopic)

...continue.

This post has been edited by Hudson : 28 January 2006 - 10:46 AM

It's a lot harder now. All the PC cards are built ~just~ differently enough to make flashing them a real hassle. You have to break stuff off, solder stuff on, and ~then~ flash.

Ugh.

It's news time...

(oh yeah, I got my computer back the third of february, but had nothing interesting to say otherwise so I did not post anything then)

Rezilla 1.0.8 (almost direct download link) has been recently released (well, more than one week ago, I know, I've not been quick to react). I tested it and it works fine, and the bugs I reported have been fixed in it. So please download this update and cast the 1.0.7 to the digital, bug-ridden hell it belongs to, and tell me whether it works for you, whether you have a PowerPC or (lucky you) an Intel Mac (whatever, it's not Intel-native yet, so that shouldn't make any difference).
EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you. This version has a new feature where you can edit RECTs as top-left-height-width instead of top-left-bottom-right. DO NOT ACTIVATE IT IN THE PREFS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. It's off by default, so you you shouldn't need to worry about that, but Just In Case™. The reason is Nova often uses RECTs as a convenient way of having four DWRDs, not as an actual rectangle, and thus this option doesn't make sense for these.(/edit)

Also, PowerPlant has been released as open source, and this with other things means the way is clear for me to release a custom build of Rezilla. This custom build will include color tags suitable for editing color values in the Nova resources. This will allow you to use my templates, which make use of these new tags to make color editing easier. You'll have to wait a few days for it though, as the current build (with custom color tags) I use is based off 1.0.7, so I need to update it to be based off the 1.0.8 source code. Also, I need to host the code somewhere to comply with the GNU GPL, so that means I need to get a clear code organisation instead of the current mess (which I'll do when I will start over from the 1.0.8 code and the standalone PowerPlant lib instead of 1.0.7 and PP as included with CW).

So, sit tight. I've already converted half of the templates to use Rezilla features, and I'm working on more now that I have defined the tags that were missing for our purposes. In a few days when I'll put my custom build you will be able to use the ones I already did, and the remaining ones should only be a matter of days after that.

For the interested, my new tags are 'WCOL' (for 16-bit XRRRRRGGGGGBBBBB), as found in the ModVal for the paint outfit ModType, and '3COL' (for 24-bit RGB, each color channel being a byte) for everything else; notice the base ResEdit templates for Nova contain 4-byte (32-bit) HLNG tags for colors, but the first byte is ignored so they are replaced by a filler byte (FBYT) followed by a 3COL. I thought about devising a LCOL that would have taken up 32 bits (XRGB) to directly replace the HLNGs (and that's indeed what I did at first), but it is possible that some people (not for Nova plugs, of course) would use the first byte for alpha info (32-bit ARGB), and would not be able to use LCOL for that purpose. With 3COL, they can put a DBYT first for alpha, then a 3COL. I think these tag names (WCOL and 3COL) are pretty much self-explanatory (given the constraints of four-char uppercase names, of course...), and have little risk of colliding with any other future template tag, but please still tell me what you think of them, in case you have a better idea, before I release my custom build. I can still easily change them, that's just a matter of modifying two lines of code and doing a global search-and-replace on the existing templates.

Have fun with Rezilla 1.0.8!

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 22 February 2006 - 04:44 PM