EV Online

Is it possible?

The other day I was wondering: Is it possible to somehow link EV(EVC, EVO, EVN, dosn't matter) to the internet? Allowing players to fight each other would be awesome! I'd love to face the best of you. 😄
Possibly there could be a system which only could be entered by actual players (No AI) Or, someone could simply make a online game which had all the EV ships you could want(possibly more).
Well, does anyone else think that would be worth the time to attempt?

This post has been edited by Rameretz : 28 November 2005 - 08:09 PM

http://www.ambrosias...showtopic=88554

Please read the FAQs, you've been around for more than a month.

Whoops.

heh, we still get these?

I feel dirty.

But I still dream of making one... using a runescape esque flash mmorpg client of my own design.. that would be neat as hell.

there already is a MMORPG similar to EVN called starport. it isnt exactly the same as a EV game, but it is probably the closest to a EVN MMORPG that there is so far.

MMORPGs like EVE and Starport are the closest you're gonna come at the moment. An online EV is a very different game to the one we know and love, and there are some serious conceptual hurdles to overcome as well as the obvious coding and operational ones (running servers, etc). I'd love to see someone succeed in making it, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

The biggest problem with on-line games is that they tend to be full of dirty-mouthed teenagers, clans/leagues/clubs/etc and/or school classes. These people either don't take the game seriously, and just make a nuisance of themselves, or spend all their hours playing so that they become so good, they make everyone else's lives a misery.

I'm sick of being booted off of the Halo servers because the host realizes I'm not from his class, or hearing about how Michael fancies Jean, or how Luke is gay. Add in the SoBs who cheat with game modifications, and the team members who take pride over the cryptic prefixes in their user names, and you have a thoroughly distatesful experiance. Sometimes I just want to kill these little dweebs....for real.

Vendetta online is just the same - the moment you leave the hanger, you get blasted by some souped-up nerd who's spend the last 6 months building the ultimate warship.

The technical issue is not the problem here - I just don't want EV to suck, and I think most people on this board would agree.

This post has been edited by tycho61uk : 29 November 2005 - 11:45 AM

...is it possible?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Hudson, on Nov 29 2005, 02:09 PM, said:

...is it possible?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
View Post

audio answer

Just thought I'd type something in here. You know, can't have one of these topics and not say something.

Vendetta was a lot of fun, when it was a beta (the game was a lot different, a smaller community, and free). I stopped playing when it became what it is now with the full release.

tycho61uk, on Nov 29 2005, 12:15 PM, said:

Vendetta online is just the same - the moment you leave the hanger, you get blasted by some souped-up nerd who's spend the last 6 months building the ultimate warship.

Mazca, on Nov 29 2005, 11:40 AM, said:

MMORPGs like EVE and Starport are the closest you're gonna come at the moment. An online EV is a very different game to the one we know and love, and there are some serious conceptual hurdles to overcome as well as the obvious coding and operational ones (running servers, etc). I'd love to see someone succeed in making it, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
View Post

As a metter of fact, I believe Burch made a multiplayer EV, but thought it wasn't as cool as the original idea.

Additionally, an EV3D was in the works for a short period of time, but the developers wanted way too much money.

Matt did indeed make a multiplayer EV. Although it was loosely based on EV. It was called Exobattle. You fly around in a 3d space arena complete with asteroids, a planet and a station. Its gonna be the closest to EV online that Matt will ever release. And it only works over your LAN.

This post has been edited by Eegras Studios : 29 November 2005 - 05:05 PM

Nebraska.

EV: Online.

Nebraska.

None of these things exist, nor will they.

rmx256, on Nov 29 2005, 10:02 PM, said:

Nebraska.

EV: Online.

Nebraska.

None of these things exist, nor will they.
View Post

Isn't that one of the freak states? Oh no, that's Alaska and Hawaii 🙂

Frommynotepad()
{
If you want EV4/something like it, code it yourself. Grab a compiler, an editor, and a good C/C++ book (for starters, and get to work on an engine.
Make a small scenario to show off your engine and its features, and present it to Ambrosia.
}

About Vendetta-like projects: Make them, but never release them from beta, never expand them to insane sizes, and don't advertise them in the conventional ways. And maybe have an ignore function that basically says "player does not exist" in said client's universe. No fragging them, no them fragging you, no chatting, no collisions, and no unignoring for the next month or so, and implementation of "no fragging" takes about thirty minutes so it can't be done on a whim. On the downside, things would look wierd to somebody that hadn't ignored people.

Maybe I shouldn't be giving the programmers on this board ideas. Maybe I should be making my own RPG.

The Apple Cřre, on Nov 30 2005, 12:37 AM, said:

Frommynotepad()
{
If you want EV4/something like it, code it yourself. Grab a compiler, an editor, and a good C/C++ book (for starters, and get to work on an engine.
Make a small scenario to show off your engine and its features, and present it to Ambrosia.
}
View Post

Debian?! What are you smoking?

(tycho61uk looks towards the non-existent Linux game community)

Maybe that should be sourceforge. Hmm...

Debian's a perfectly good operating system, and it is supported on more Architectures than I have fingers. But it is certainly not the OS you'd publish a game on.