BugFest '05

MMmm... I see your point, but I don't think it qualifies as a bug. The weapon blast should suffice, or you can add an invisible ship on top if you want a breakup animation to correspond to a second blast (of the station actually exploding.)

When ships blow up, there's damage done to nearby ships (the proximity and damage depends on the ship mass). One would think that spöbs would do the same is all I'm sayin'.

Sure, but I don't think it can be called a bug. It was never meant to do that, and thus its not broken.

I see the point and concede.

Maybe it's cos the planets are actually a lot further away than ships are and thus you wouldn't feel a the shockwave.

Kinda makes the Praxis explosion at the beginning of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country a little anticlimactic to simulate, though.

If it's just one spob you want to do then OnDestroy make it Sxxx a mission which creates a single invisible ship on top of the spob with 0 armour and really high mass.

Sxxx while the player is in flight either does nothing or causes a ship to jump in, you cant create a ship on top of a navdefault.

You could have a "delayed shockwave" by having a 0-armor ship with huge damage and explosion radius jump in as soon as the planet goes kaplooey. The explosion wouldn't be centered, and indeed anything caught between the planet and the ship would be knocked the wrong way by it, but the damage would work, and it would even give the player a chance to get out of Dodge once the planet dies before the shockwave catches up to them, I think.

This post has been edited by Qaanol : 23 September 2005 - 03:42 PM

Well, if things jump in from 1000 pixels out, going max speed, wouldn't giving it a death delay of 1 sec, 0 turning, 0 accel, and a speed of 1000 make it detonate right at the center of the system?

EDIT, err, maybe 333 speed and a delay of 3 sec, so there's timeto run... or maybe not, heheh.

This post has been edited by Keldor Sarn : 24 September 2005 - 02:25 PM

(as NebuchadnezzaR)

KS... things don't work that cleanly. Even if you have a gun with a certain speed that only lasts for one frame, the distance (or radius if you give it a nice big innacuracy ) varies widely. Note also that extremely short death delays dont work, and its not exactly clear when a ship enters the system in game terms. All in all, it just wouldn't be reliable.

It's all workaround that doesn't simulate what should have been there in the first place, but it's neither here nor there. It's not there, and it's "not a bug."

Not a bug, perhaps, but certainly not a feature. An oversight?

Ragashingo, on May 12 2005, 05:57 PM, said:

I might as well point out my favorite bug, the "Follow the leader, fighter swarm bug", which works like this:

A ton of explanation

View Post

I finally figured out what causes the Phoenix's to fire off their missiles while the Anaconda's typically don't. Its the turreted gun, the fusion pules cannon in the Phoenix's case, that allows a fighter in a swarm to fire off its missile. I figured this out while I was trying to balance the Fed and Auroran fighters. I made the light blaster a front quadrant turret and suddenly my Anaconda's are firing missiles off left and right.

Is it just me or does the KeyCarried flag actually work the opposite. 2nd frame when carrying, 1st when not.

So the designation of primary weapons affects the AI use of secondary? Or the use of unguided projectiles impedes the use of guided? What happens if you make the blaster a guided weapon with 0 turn?

Qaanol, on Oct 20 2005, 12:04 PM, said:

What happens if you make the blaster a guided weapon with 0 turn?
View Post

I think the AI would be extremely reluctant to fire such a weapon, swarming or not.

Guy, on Oct 17 2005, 06:26 PM, said:

Is it just me or does the KeyCarried flag actually work the opposite. 2nd frame when carrying, 1st when not.
View Post

Oh, huh. Thats always how I assumed it should work. Maybe this just means its documented backwards.

This may or may not qualify as a bug.

A ship is listed as having 2 launcher and 8 ammo in the shipyard. When I encounter said ship in the game, I hide behind rocks in my small ship and watch the missiles harmlessly pummel them. When eight missiles have been fired, I can come out with my poorly shielded ship and dance around at the edge of primary range, pouring fusion pulse, right?

Nope.
Bot ammo count = Listed ammo count x Launcher count.

NebuchadnezzaR, on Oct 27 2005, 03:34 AM, said:

Oh, huh. Thats always how I assumed it should work. Maybe this just means its documented backwards.
View Post

Yeah I think it's just a mistake in the bible. I mean it doesn't really matter, as long as you know which way it's supposed to be before you put your sprites together 😛

The Apple Cřre, on Oct 27 2005, 12:11 PM, said:

Bot ammo count = Listed ammo count x Launcher count.
View Post

Aha, that is interesting. I've known the AI had more ammo than they should in EV/O but for some reason I thought it was fixed in Nova.

This post has been edited by Guy : 26 October 2005 - 09:40 PM