Corrections to be applied to my guides

-In all my works, whatever they are, replace every single occurence of "annoted" by "annotated". Thanks. By the way, there are a number of typos I noticed, I can't tell where all of them are. So if people could run a spell check on my guides before putting them on the website, and correct the obvious mistakes, I'll be glad...
-in the dësc annotated template, "asterixes" (near the beginning) should be replaced by "asterisks". Probably an influence from that Gallic guy...
-also, in the MovieFile paragraph, remove "Also, this is the only way to display a movie in the game" (I just rediscovered shipyard movies...)
-in oütf, replace that "unsoldable" that is said not to exist by ""can't be sold" prevents the outfit from being sold" (thanks to GutlessWonder for this one)
-also, next to the end, replace by "That's a reason this feature is little used, for instance for the carbon fiber outfit, that has no license requirement if you buy it in an Aurorean outfitter, for instance."
-in spöb, in the Flags paragraph, in the "Uninhabited" flag description, replace "unless you want it to appear in the list of ports of the system in the galactic map, though the player cannot land on it" by "unless you wish the system the stellar is in to appear as inhabited while there is no port in it for the player!".
-also, for "Low Food Prices", add "...of the base price if the stellar likes the player: it will be more if the stellar doesn't like the player, and it will be less if the player owns the stellar (it is dominated); if the stellar likes the player (the usual case), it evaluates to 60 in the Nova scenario."
-and for "High Food prices", add "...of base price) if the stellar likes the player: it will be less if the stellar doesn't like the player, and it will be more if the player owns the stellar (it is dominated); if the stellar likes the player (the usual case), it evaluates to 90 in the Nova scenario.
-after the "DefCount" paragraph, add "A little warning: you may know the engine stores the number of ships left in a stellar's defense fleet (so that you don't have to kill all of it at once). This has a side effect: if the stellar didn't exist when the pilot has been created (i.e. you just put a plug with a new stellar and play it with an old pilot), the number of ships in the defense fleet is set to 0, so there will be 0 ships left in the defense fleet, and the new stellar will surrender as soon as you demand tribute. Therefore, if your plug-in adds new planets, you should tell in your ReadMe to play it with a new pilot."
-in "Fee" add at the beginning, after "This number field": "(this one is a signed 32-bit one that can hold values up to 2G or so)"
-in "Strength" add at the beginning, after "This number field": "(this one is a signed 32-bit one that can hold values up to 2G or so)"
-in the s˙st annotated template, change example at the end of Visibility section "For instance, you could use it in a bar description to change the available drinks according to the time of the year, with a minimum anmount of...".
-in the BEtD, a little error in the second paragraph: not most outfits have a DispWeight of 100, so change: "Notice that some other outfits have a DispWeight of 100 as well..."

Important note: the Distribution Guide is still in "likely to be modified" status, and the part about compression format is not to be observed yet (it would make little sense for me to work with Allume trying to get the cross-platform tab back in Stuffit for Windows and tell people not to use Stuffit at the same time). I'd like to modify it now, telling how to compress in .sit(x), but the exact instructions to give in the ReadMe for PC people will depend on the mean Allume eventually elects for PC people to be able to obtain files with a resource fork encoded in MacBinary. Therefore, the guide will remain in this state until further notice. People willing to upload their plug-in in the meantime should either .bin.zip, or use .sit (not sitx yet), telling to use Stuffit 7.5 in the ReadMe (a good thing is that, even if people on PC use Stuffit 8, the ReadMe will be intact and you can tell people in it that if they obtain 0kb files instead of the expected plug-in files they have to reunstuff with Stuffit 7.5, then convert, etc...).

I know now what I'll do after the two annotated templates I planned (gövt and shďp): I'll HTML-ise my works, for which it hasn't been already done, myself. I'll simply do it by checking the great work already done by orcaloverbri9 and brindyblitz and applying the same to the other guides, as I know enough HTML myself to understand the basics.

Oh, and remember everything related to my guides is linked from mrxak's pinned topic "All the links you'll ever need". I just hope that mrxak will rearrange all that a little better like he told he would... 😉

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 28 October 2004 - 03:47 PM

Asterix Le Gaulois! I made the same mistake when I was younger

Sorry, just wanted to say that 😉

Heh. At least someone that knows what I'm talking about. And when I come to think that there are (at least) two Belgian people here (Thimoty and you) and only one French guy...

By the way, if anyone feels something is wrong/needs correction in ~any~ of my guides, feel free to post it here and I'll add it to the top post while it's still hot.

Ack! This just in: Remove ", not point defense" from the "SubType" field of the wëap annotated template.

By the way, all those obscure gövt flags are slowing down me right now, if you're wondering about progress. I don't think it will be much better for shďp...

**Pedro- if you'd like to get your information (a lot of which is quite helpful) I'd be more than happy to take the raw text, divide it up into different topics and post it to my plug-in guide here on ASW. It's currently empty because of the board switch overs, and since I've retired from plug-in making it'll remain that way until someone from ASW deletes it or someone else wants to step up and use the space. I doubt I can change the title of the board, but I'll be sure to state in no uncertain terms that it's all your work and yours alone- having nothing to do with me.

Just thought I'd offer it so you could eliminate the problems with different versions and files to upload, etc. Contact me if you're interested.

_bomb

Hey Bomb, how are you? It's been some time. Actually, yes, I've been considering taking over your board (though there are others available since anyone can post anything anywhere now, this is the one where it would make the most sense). So thanks for the offer, if I'm interested (which is likely), I'll post my guides there myself when I'll have time and put the Ambrosia admins before "le fait accompli" (remember d'Erlon in EVO?;)). However, there is something else I'd like to ask you: I've been using some of your work actually (especially the advice on stellars in the spöb annotated template), so I'd like to ask you formal permission to use it, and not to remove your topics in this forum since I may use other wise exerpts of your work (though the topics are still accesible via the old UBB urls, we don't know how long they will be).

Zacha Pedro, on Nov 16 2004, 12:05 PM, said:

Hey Bomb, how are you? It's been some time. Actually, yes, I've been considering taking over your board (though there are others available since anyone can post anything anywhere now, this is the one where it would make the most sense). So thanks for the offer, if I'm interested (which is likely), I'll post my guides there myself when I'll have time and put the Ambrosia admins before "le fait accompli" (remember d'Erlon in EVO?;)). However, there is something else I'd like to ask you: I've been using some of your work actually (especially the advice on stellars in the spöb annotated template), so I'd like to ask you formal permission to use it, and not to remove your topics in this forum since I may use other wise exerpts of your work (though the topics are still accesible via the old UBB urls, we don't know how long they will be).
View Post

**Not too bad, bro. Life's been busy as all hell these past few months.. Crazy trying to keep up with everything. Feel free to use any of the information left on the Guide, as long as you credit where it comes from.. I may have quit developing, but I'd like my wisdom to live on..;) And like I said before, drop me an email if you're interested and we can discuss it more.

_bomb

This also: at the end of "the Message field" in the s˙st annotated template, add: "However, never put 0: while it works on Macs, it has been known to crash WinNova. Thanks to Belthazar for figuring out and posting this information"

Changes to apply to the wëap annotated template, thanks to Guy:

-in "BeamLength", remove that it is ignored for non-beams, and add at the end of the section:
"If the weapon is not a beam, putting a positive (non-zero) value will make the shot graphic fade out instantly around one second before the end of count; this is both undocumented and unused in the default Nova scenario but has been discovered by chance by Edwards."

-in "Falloff", remove the part about being ignored for non-beams (but keep that it's ignored for lightning beams), add at the beginning "If the weapon is a beam," (and obviously case down the uppercase T just next), and add at the end of the section:
"If the weapon is not a beam, a positive (non-zero) value defines instead how fast the shot graphic fades in the last second or so of its life; this undocumented behavior is used by the railguns for instance, and has been cornered by Edwards."

-in "SubTheta", replace the whole section by:
"This number field is the inaccuracy at which the submunitions are launched: for positive values it works just like the inaccuracy field, with the direction of the mother shot playing the same role as the direction of the launching ship. However, a negative value will be the spacing angle between the submunition shots, in degrees: ignored if there is only one, this will be the angle between the two shots if there are two, if there are three, the double will be the angle between the leftmost and rightmost shot while the middle shot will go straight front, etc... (note: maybe put some explanation pic here?)"