[EVN] Unguided -> Guided submunitioning?

Guided subs use selected target or any?

This might be a strange place to make my first post on the forums, but here it is. 🙂

If an unguided weapon (e.g. a dumb-fire turret or a free-flight projectile) is set to submunition into a single guided round, is the target of the guided round determined by what the player had selected at the time, or does it just pick a target at random? If this works even remotely in the way I'd expected, it'd be kinda interesting to have a sort of 'guided turret' weapon using a turret to sub into the actual guided projectile.

I remember seeing a weapon in Ares with those sort of properties. (But this is not Ares, I know.)

Hmm...that would be very nice, being able to make a guided turreted weapon.

Anyone want to try this out?

Wouldn't be that hard, just set the turreted projectile to have an extremely short life span and then submunition into a guided missile. That way it fires at the target you have selected and then is guided. I'm not sure if it fires at the nearest hostile, or at the target you have specified. I can look, though.

PigDog4, on Dec 4 2004, 01:20 PM, said:

Wouldn't be that hard, just set the turreted projectile to have an extremely short life span and then submunition into a guided missile. That way it fires at the target you have selected and then is guided. I'm not sure if it fires at the nearest hostile, or at the target you have specified. I can look, though.
View Post

Okay, using EVNEW 1.3 and Win EVN 1.0.6, the results seem to be as follows: The projectile is fired from the turret in the direction of the target, and once it subs into its guided component the missile locks on to the actual target it was fired at. (I'm going to get myself into the middle of a cloud of hostile Vipers or somethng to further verify this, but this is how it appears to work for now.)

A guided submunition will seek the targeted ship if it's the first submunition. That's how the Polaron Multi-Torp works, with the exception that its first projectile is guided. It will work for any projectile weapon type however.

Both the "fire towards nearest target" submunitions and guided projectiles (I think) that are not the first submunition (ie. the shot first submunit's into another projectile, then into the guided or "nearest target" shot) will target any random ship in the system, not even selecting from only hostile ships.

However, if you have a chain of submunitions that are all set to "fire towards nearest target" (which, really, does no such thing it seems, it's more like "fire towards target") will act like a guided projectile, so it must be able to communicate targeting information to subsequent projectiles if that flag is set. I don't know if the same holds true for guided projectiles; the former is where my past testing stopped. I am fairly sure that using EVN 1.0.8 (again, I think...it was a while ago) submunitinos will choose random targets if it's not the first submunition, and the previous submunition has no targeting info.

It's how they did the Nanites in the stock scenario. It works.

A newbies who's an EV developer and knows what he's talking about?

What is the world coming to?

Agent_Vast, on Dec 4 2004, 06:00 PM, said:

It's how they did the Nanites in the stock scenario. It works.

A newbies who's an EV developer and knows what he's talking about?

What is the world coming to?
View Post

I've been kinda lurking and reading the boards for a while as a guest. 😉

BTW, one little quirk I noticed while playing with this is that if there's a non-allied ship right underneath yours when you fire such a cobbled-together weapon, you'll impact it rather than the target. But I did have a duration higher than 0 on the turret component of the weap...

Now, if anyone could figure out how best to use this in a plug or scenario, I'd like to see it. 😉

What would happen if you made the munition to be a 1 dur guided weapon while the submunition was a "fire towards nearest target" guided weapon? Would that duplicate the effects of a turreted missile without harming any poor shuttles you happen to be launching over?

And don't worry. I bet there are many TC developers who will use this type of thing... At least, I will.

Phyvo, on Dec 5 2004, 01:56 PM, said:

What would happen if you made the munition to be a 1 dur guided weapon while the submunition was a "fire towards nearest target" guided weapon? Would that duplicate the effects of a turreted missile without harming any poor shuttles you happen to be launching over?

And don't worry. I bet there are many TC developers who will use this type of thing... At least, I will.
View Post

Make the original shot a planet-type weapon and it'll definitely work, guided or not.

And I'll definitely be using this in my TC.

PBoat101, on Dec 5 2004, 03:04 PM, said:

Make the original shot a planet-type weapon and it'll definitely work, guided or not.

And I'll definitely be using this in my TC.
View Post

What if you're over a planet?

Guy said:

Umm...the planet would be angred greatly? If you gave it a huge amount of damage, it'd be kinda cool, like a death star super laser/use the planet to kill all kinds of dudes thingy. Or you could just set the initial duration to 0, so it would submunition immeadiatly. immediatly, immeeediat...forget it, I resfue do speel ynting cerroctly dotay.

Guy, on Dec 5 2004, 07:56 PM, said:

View Post

If the planet is invincible (which it most likely will be unless you have a really good reason for it to be destroyable), it won't care.

UE_Research & Development, on Dec 5 2004, 06:38 PM, said:

If the planet is invincible (which it most likely will be unless you have a really good reason for it to be destroyable), it won't care.
View Post

If EVN was real, they'd get pretty ****ed :laugh:!

PBoat101, on Dec 5 2004, 03:04 PM, said:

View Post

D'oh. The answer is always simplier then you expect it to be, isn't it? At least when you're me.

Problem is, planets are not invincible in the Nova scenario (but they can't get destroyed normally since there is no built-in planet-type weapon). However, this is fine if you're doing a TC.

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 06 December 2004 - 01:10 PM

PBoat101, on Dec 5 2004, 08:04 AM, said:

Make the original shot a planet-type weapon and it'll definitely work, guided or not.View Post

You could also just set its ProxSafety to be longer than the life of the shot, and it'll never hit anything.

Weepul 884, on Dec 6 2004, 12:21 PM, said:

You could also just set its ProxSafety to be longer than the life of the shot, and it'll never hit anything.
View Post

Wow, such a simple answer. Brownie points for you!

PigDog4, on Dec 6 2004, 06:07 PM, said:

Wow, such a simple answer. Brownie points for you!
View Post

I think the Bible or some other source (can't remember which) said that the shot can still explode while within ProxSafety if the weapon itself collides with something.

Amnenth, on Dec 6 2004, 08:02 PM, said:

I think the Bible or some other source (can't remember which) said that the shot can still explode while within ProxSafety if the weapon itself collides with something.
View Post

What? The ProxSafety is an amount of "safety" time before the projectile arms; during that time it won't hit things. It can still explode but only if set to explode when it expires (like flak).

Amnenth, on Dec 5 2004, 12:16 AM, said:

I've been kinda lurking and reading the boards for a while as a guest. 😉 View Post

Always a wise plan. Welcome to the boards, and I'm pleased you've decided to start off here.