End of file message, resedit

Is there a maximum size for a plug-in? Or is there a maximum size that Resedit can handle?
I was adding the PICT to an already large plug (so that I could run "Plugchecker") and I got the message
"end of file reached (-39)".
After this I could add nothing to the plug and could not save it. Every time I tried to save I got the end of file message.
Was it the plug or Resedit that reached the end of file? And what file was it?

------------------

That happens to me a lot when I work with ppat file.
Just quit and re open...
That always works for me
Oh yeah, ALWAYS have 2 copies of the file ur working on.
Work on one copy, and after every inmortant save duplicate your work.
Then work on your 1. copy again and save and duplicate... etc.
That way, when you run into a problem you have a copy which is relatively close behind.

------------------
Arrrrrrr!!!! D'ye have some rum, matey?

That's when I start putting plugs into seprate files. That is, "QSE Sounds" "QSE Sprites" "Quantumire SE"... etc. God only knows why that message appears. And quiting, reopening has never worked for me...
-david-

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.meowx.com")Meowx Design Studios(/url)
Graphics. Games. And more...

We ran up against this problem when Nova was still a plugin. It's actually one of the few major bugs in ResEdit. It starts to have increasing trouble coming to grips with files with more than 2000 resources in them, and the original documentation for ResEdit states that you probably shouldn't have more than 500 resources of any one type in a single file. It also tends to happen with graphics files (pict resources) that get over 10-12 Mb in size. I must admit, I've never run across a problem with it related to the ppat resource though...

Normally you have to get well over the 2000 limit (or the 10-12 Mb pict resource limit) for it to start beating it's head against the wall, but once it starts, you had better split your files up pronto to save corrupting a lot of resources (I learned that one the hard way :p).

The easy fix, as Meowx Design said, is to simply split your files up into smaller files... 🙂

Best,
Cookie @ ATMOS

------------------

Originally posted by Frandall:
**We ran up against this problem when Nova was still a plugin. It's actually one of the few major bugs in ResEdit. It starts to have increasing trouble coming to grips with files with more than 2000 resources in them, and the original documentation for ResEdit states that you probably shouldn't have more than 500 resources of any one type in a single file. It also tends to happen with graphics files (pict resources) that get over 10-12 Mb in size.

I spent three days beating my head against this problem during the initial development of Nova, but there's no reason anyone else has to! 🙂 So, to further clarify: it's a limitation of the MacOS Resource Manager. The maximum number of resources in a file is abour 2700, and the maximum size of a file's resource fork is 16 MB. This problem often manifests itself as a mysterious Error -39 (end of file error). The only workaround is to split your file into two smaller files.

cheers,
mcb

------------------
"If it's not on fire, it's a software problem."

Originally posted by mburch:
**...it's a limitation of the MacOS Resource Manager. The maximum number of resources in a file is abour 2700, and the maximum size of a file's resource fork is 16 MB. This problem often manifests itself as a mysterious Error -39 (end of file error). The only workaround is to split your file into two smaller files.

I was going to reply about the max resources/file, but then saw you had already. I didn't know about the 16MB max size, however.

This info should be added to the Undocumented Craftiness thread.

-STH

------------------

Hmm...I use Resorcerer, I wonder if the same applies? Can anyone tell me, I can't be arsed to find out. 🙂

------------------
Ladies and Gentlemen, as you know we have something special for you at
Birdland this evening. A recording for Blue Note Records...

Let's take it back to the concrete streets, original beats and real live MC's...
----------------------------

Originally posted by the Necromicon:
**Hmm...I use Resorcerer, I wonder if the same applies? Can anyone tell me, I can't be arsed to find out.:)

It's easy enough to test. Create a resource, copy it 3000 times (by copying it once, pasting it, then copying both resources and pasting them, etc - it should only take a few minutes) and then try to save it. If you get an end-of-file error (or anything similar), the problem exists...

Cookie @ ATMOS

------------------

Originally posted by the Necromicon:
**Hmm...I use Resorcerer, I wonder if the same applies? Can anyone tell me, I can't be arsed to find out.:)

If I remember correctly the 2700 resource number is a fixed limit. The resource size mburch listed isn't something I know. It might be a problem w/ resEdit, and Resourcer might be able to exceed this. I dunno.

-STH

------------------

**I spent three days beating my head against this problem during the initial development of Nova, but there's no reason anyone else has to!:) So, to further clarify: it's a limitation of the MacOS Resource Manager. The maximum number of resources in a file is abour 2700, and the maximum size of a file's resource fork is 16 MB. This problem often manifests itself as a mysterious Error -39 (end of file error). The only workaround is to split your file into two smaller files.

cheers,
mcb

Right. So how does one use Plugchecker if you have 15Mb of PICT and 4 or 5 Mb of other resources? And Plugchecker goes ape if it cannot locate all the resources. Is there another checker which will let you load the two plugs to create one check?
Cheers,
Kevin Jordan

------------------

Originally posted by Kevin Jordan:
**Right. So how does one use Plugchecker if you have 15Mb of PICT and 4 or 5 Mb of other resources? And Plugchecker goes ape if it cannot locate all the resources. Is there another checker which will let you load the two plugs to create one check?
Cheers,
Kevin Jordan

Do you have to have the pictures in it to check it? You could try making some dummy spins that point to the same 1*1 pict, reducing both the size and number of resources in the merged file. hth.

Maybe MB can switch to zip, tar, or packages for EV3? Zip would be best, because it also compresses the data by a large amount, and is used by other games (Quake 3, for one).

------------------
-- Nikolaus Wegner

**The maximum number of resources in a file is abour 2700

mburch, I knew 2700 sounded familiar, but I wanted to confirm. I poked around and found a value of 2727 max resources in a fork. Does this reflect what you've observed in real world operations?

-STH

(This message has been edited by seant (edited 04-15-2001).)