Guns or Turrets

Is it a EVN Override plug-in bug or...

Hello to those who still frequent this forum!

I just recently started on EVO (via the EVN plug-in) and I have noticed that I cannot seem to outfit my ship with a full compliment of guns and turrets. For example, one of the first ship upgrades I obtained was a freight-courier which can theoretically house 3 guns and 3 turrets. After outfitting it with 3 blaze turrets I wanted to add some additional forward firepower with 3 blaze cannons, only to be met with "cannot have any more of this item" in the outfitter. My ship had about 40 tons of free mass at the time.

So I'm wondering if this is a part of EVO gameplay, or is there some error with the Nova EVO plug-in (for Windows)?

@jos840, on 09 May 2012 - 07:34 PM, said in Guns or Turrets:

Hello to those who still frequent this forum!

I just recently started on EVO (via the EVN plug-in) and I have noticed that I cannot seem to outfit my ship with a full compliment of guns and turrets. For example, one of the first ship upgrades I obtained was a freight-courier which can theoretically house 3 guns and 3 turrets. After outfitting it with 3 blaze turrets I wanted to add some additional forward firepower with 3 blaze cannons, only to be met with "cannot have any more of this item" in the outfitter. My ship had about 40 tons of free mass at the time.

So I'm wondering if this is a part of EVO gameplay, or is there some error with the Nova EVO plug-in (for Windows)?

Hello jos840, originally guns and turrets were separate entities in Override. However, it was later changed in the last update (the original) to have turrets also count as a gun port as well. The plug-in of EV:O for EV:N goes off that last original update. I forget the reason as to why turrets were switched this way, probably to make the game more challenging (one of the other members might remember). Hope that answers your question.

Yes, it’s an intentional (though unpopular) feature of the game. When a ship can take 5 guns and 3 turrets, think of that as meaning 5 guns, of which 3 can be turrets.

Simple question, simple answers! The reasons behind it are not important, I just wanted to know if it was intentional or not. At least it leaves me more free mass for Dispy Rockets.

Thanks a lot!

Thread closed. ^_^

This post has been edited by jos840 : 10 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

Actually there's an explanation as to why weapons would take up both slot types. It's simply because at that time, ship resources were limited to having four weapon slots, but a player could add in more, thus giving them a far more tactical advantage over their AI ship counterparts. So by using up both slot types, it would balance the game a bit between players and AI ships.

@coraxus, on 25 May 2012 - 11:38 PM, said in Guns or Turrets:

Actually there's an explanation as to why weapons would take up both slot types. It's simply because at that time, ship resources were limited to having four weapon slots, but a player could add in more, thus giving them a far more tactical advantage over their AI ship counterparts. So by using up both slot types, it would balance the game a bit between players and AI ships.

Also, I believe the AI at the time couldn't properly handle firing turreted and fixed primary weapons at the same time. The option to install both guns and turrets up to their respective slot limits permits the player to outgun any NPC ship equivalent to their own, which is hardly healthy for gameplay balance. The gun/turret slot limitations, as implemented in EV Override, ensured that the player's ship was kept nearer to the level of the player's foes. Incidentally, this also gave incentive to invest in ammo-dependent secondary weapons that might have otherwise been overlooked for that all-important decisive edge in relative firepower.

Incidentally, while changes to the game engine and AI routines in EV Nova rendered it technically unnecessary for turrets to also occupy fixed gun slots, I can't help but speculate as to how gameplay balance might have been affected if that particular feature, maligned as it is, was left in.