Galaxy of Strife

Groned System

Ujo muttered loudly, slamming his fist down on the console then turning to Hhazou. "How could they have moved out so rapidly?"

Hhazou shook his head slowly. "Their military forces seemed to have had sufficient time to evacuate. However, they still have a somewhat substantial number of troops on the planet. We can also expect loyalist civilians."

Ujo growled, walking over to study the holographic display of Groned. "How many troops?"

"At the far maximum, 50,000, although I doubt the Renegades would be able to organize such a large ground force."

"Their troops are worthless. It's not them that I'm worried about," Ujo replied, leaning against the console, sighing. "If we ignore them, it's a sign we aren't strong enough to take out a couple of Renegade thugs. If we invade, the entire damned Strandless is going to be after us, because they're too short sighted to see that for once we're actually trying to help."

Hhazou remained silent as Ujo spoke. The executor straightened up, but did not speak for a long moment. "Alright then... put a message into to the planet. All frequencies. I want to make sure that everyone on that planet hears me."

Hhazou nodded, quickly patching Ujo in to Groned. The executor spoke. "Citizens and defenders of Groned. You are hopelessly outnumbered and face certain death. Death for a group of Renegade thugs who forcibly subjugated your world. Our mission here was to destroy the Renegade threat, and return you to peaceful self-government.

"We have information that there are still Renegade troops on your planet, no doubt aided by loyalist civilians. If we must, we will invade with ground troops, in a war that you most certainly will not win. We also have the ability to bombard enemy forces from orbit."

Ujo paused for a moment, letting it sink in to the enemy troops before continuing. "But we won't do that. Not unless you force us to. Those in charge of the Igadzra military and the government know that you have been treated harshly and unfairly in the past.

"Although there is no way we can truly make a good enough apology to you, we are trying to start here. As such, I am prepared to offer assistance in rebuilding your shipyards, outfitters, and whatever other facilities might have suffered damage in the renegade occupation. Whatever you need, we will attempt to provide to the best of our ability. We will even help you rebuild your navy to even greater power than it was before. Once we are done, our ships and troops will leave immediately. You have the word of those in the highest levels of our government.

"We do not wish to get into a lengthy and damaging ground war. That would surely cause much destruction and pain for your people. As such, we merely ask that the enemy troops on your world stand down, and agree to refrain from any offensive action against our forces in the future.

"We do not wish to dominate, but to regain relations with the Strandless. We would ask that you consider a treaty with us. As part of this treaty, we will agree to refrain from needlessly conquering other Strandless worlds, and will respect your sovereignty. We will also agree to defend you against any hostile enemy force that dares to move against you. In return, all that we ask if free passage through your system, as well as allowing us to set up an outpost on Neslaut, the old Renegade base nearby.

"Please, there is no need for a bloody, ruthless armed conflict and ground war. What is your response?"

------

OOC: I'll post more about my research projects later.

Research Projects

Particle Beam -- COMPLETED

Phase Crystal Analyzation -- COMPLETED

Halcyon Torpedo -- 5 RTD

PDS Battery -- 5 RTD?

Igazra Upgrade -- 4 RTD?

Construction Projects

Outpost T'akra Construction -- COMPLETED

------

Naval Statistics

Current Ship Count (not counting losses in Stror)
270 Igazras
810 Igaras

Production (per RTD)
10 Igazras
30 Igaras

Defense Fleets
Igadzra, Ersadt, Innirian, Mark, Nujja, Mordus, Norhis, Motif, Feviry
15 Igazras ( 135 total )
45 Igaras ( 405 total )

1st Armada -- Mark
20 Igazras
60 Igaras

2nd Armada -- Fighting in Stror (Not counting combat losses)
30 Igazras
90 Igaras

3rd Armada -- Igadzra
35 Igazras
105 Igaras

Innirian Defense Detachment -- Innirian
10 Igazras
30 Igaras

4th Armada -- Groned (combined temporarily with the Norhis defense force)
55 Igazras
165 Igaras

OOC: Because of RL reasons, UE Admiral has basically had to resign for the time being, and so Ipvicus has handed military control of the Voinians over to me. For now, I'm just going to post the stats on their Navy, as well as Research and Development. In accordance with having effectively taken over on the 12th, I cancelled the Rocket Project, and instead replaced it with a Gatling Turret PDS tech that would have taken 6 days for moderate effectiveness (well within the bounds of reason for a tech of this kind). Counting everything up, I only have 1 day of research left on it. As well, the Neutron Weaponry upgrade was completed and is now installed. I've also begun work on a new rocket modification. I will post specs for the new Voinian ships (following a successful warship refit) as well as specs on the new techs as soon as I can.

------

Research Projects

Dreadnought Project -- 4 RTD

Neutron Upgrade -- Completed

Counter Measure Rocket -- Cancelled

Gattling Turret -- 1 RTD

Rocket Warhead Modification -- 4 RTD

Construction Projects

Warship Refit -- Completed

------

Naval Statistics

Current Ship Count
230 Cruisers
800 Frigates
1340 Heavy Fighters
1000 Interceptors

Production (per RTD)
8 Cruisers
28 Frigates
45 Heavy Fighters
40 Interceptors

Subjugation Fleets
Gualon, Gamur, Dyram, Tientu, Durala
5 Cruisers ( 25 total )
15 Frigates ( 75 total )
25 Heavy Fighters ( 125 total )
20 Interceptors ( 100 total )

Abaddon Warfleet -- Avann
55 Cruisers
245 Frigates
390 Heavy Fighters
290 Interceptors

Tartarus Warfleet -- Vorik
60 Cruisers
240 Frigates
395 Heavy Fighters
280 Interceptors

Perdition Warfleet -- Obron
30 Cruisers
80 Frigates
130 Heavy Fighters
100 Interceptors

Cerberus Warfleet -- Fridion
40 Cruisers
100 Frigates
200 Heavy Fighters
150 Interceptors

Gehenna Warfleet -- Romit
10 Cruisers
30 Frigates
50 Heavy Fighters
40 Interceptors

Elysium Warfleet -- Not
10 Cruisers
30 Frigates
50 Heavy Fighters
40 Interceptors

The new outfitter building that had replaced the old flea market was complete, and would open the next day. The shipyard, however, would take two more days until it came into operational standards. Busy at work Kjole and Razel worked round-the-clock sifting though the old MTC file's Kjole's 'contacts' had smuggled him. Even as the phazed-crystal analysis came in they were fast aproaching an insanely obvious revelation.

"If the MTC ever did try to create a synth. then the Zidagar must have been catching on; there are no synth. phazed-crystals on the market-leagal or ottherwise."

"Even when comprmised the MTC never fully erases its files, they hide what they deem valuable and erase what they can-albiet sloppily."

"And where would they hide such research? Out in the open seems to suit their style, but how would they hide something like that? As you said there are no examples of a syth. phazed-crystal on the market, we can't just pry open a phazed cannon and find one."

"...Or can we?"

"I beg your pardon, but this is a plot-twist even odd to a zidagar like myself. How would a phazed cannon relate to a synthetic Phazed-Crystal?"

"Pry one open and I'll show you. The clue is in the name, both phazed beamers and phazed cannons fire high-energy discharges of phazed energy, although on a different frequency. The Hyper-Quartz phaze-lens used in a phazed cannon needs to have remarkably low energy drop when the pulse passes through it, a feat almost impossible to do when dealing with a large quantity of material."

"But the phaze-lens is rediclously small, and making a large batch is prohibitively expensive, besides, the Igadzra would have already figured this out if that were true."

"Not nescessarily, the Igadzra make their own weapons, they don't trust the miranu as much as the MTC would like. Any hidden info on the project would have to be withing easy reach, and hence the only phazed weapons that would incorperate such valuable information would be manufactured in miranu factories. Furthermore, to avert suspicion the data would be hissen on one of the components, perhaps being a working component."

"Seriously, you're scaring me Kjole. I think all the revenge you've been after has gone to your head"

"We shall see, bring me a phazed cannon-of miranu manufacture, blagan if possible. Soon we will know if I'm right or just temporarily insane."
---
Fleet Status:

12 Crescent Fighters: Standing By
4 Aradas: Standing By
2 Miranu Couriers: Ferrying Equipment to Outpost T'akra
---
Research:

General Facilites Upgrade: Adds minimal outfitters (better than standard flea-market), and a small shipyard. Allows minimal retrofitting when nescessary.
ETA: 1-2 days

Emalghion
The fleet was now prepped and ready, restocked and repaired. All drones were loaded into their freighters. All that they were waiting for was a go from the Board, who were having a emergency meeting.

It was Mindule who called the meeting. He also invited Admiral Mineaux to the meeting.

"It has come to my attention, gentlemen... that we need to take a stand. With our fleet poised for battle, I suggest an alternative plan. One that will take care of the Voinian threat forever." Many pairs of eyes widened. Mineaux was shaking a little. Bosch looked as genuinely suprised as Bosch could look. He spoke out.

"What is the plan, sir?" Mindule grinned.

"I believe that we may be able to attack the core Voinian worlds." Bosch lowered his eyelids, and returned to looking uninterested.

"Sir, with all due respect, how do you suppose we do that?"

"There is no doubt the core worlds of the Voinian empire are heavily gaurded. That is why we will send a team of ships in to Romit. We will use the quick drones to crush the enemys planets main military establishments, and proceed to destroy anything of signifigance." Mineaux coughed.

"Sir... wouldn't, I mean, the pilots. They would never be able to make it out alive."

"Sacrifices, Admiral, sacrifices. We must make patriotic sacrifices in order to crush the Voinians." Bosch cleared his throat.

"Sir, weren't you just on the Admirals case abou-"

"This is not the same, Bosch. Admiral. I'd like you to lead the attack personally. Unfortunately, we can only supply you with so many ships... In case the Voinians decide to pay us a little visit." Thus, the plan was set into motion, but won't be completed until tomorrow, as refits are taking a little longer than expected.
----------
All ships in Kelmaon move to Emalghion. The defense fleet in Emalghion is:

536 Fighters
348 Warships
166 Attack Drones
36 Explosive Drones
28 Rocket Drones

----------
Research and Development
Refit: ETA: Done (Thursday, February 17th)
Long Range Thermite Railgun: ETA: PROJECT HALTED

New Tech
Advanced Interference Clearing Sensors:
Building on the Sensor research before (4 Days of research), the new Advanced Sensors are far more effective. Literally no interference can be detected with them, and they have an extremely long sensor range. They will be able to penetrate nebulae, but they will have an extremely hard time doing so; while hyperroutes discovered by the sensors will be safe, the range and intereference will moderately bad. ETA: 3 Days (Sunday, February 20th)

Building Project
Emalghion Defense Platforms:
By building a series of defense platforms around Emalgha and in the system of Emalghion, Voinian threat may be slightly minimized. ETA: 3 Days (20 Platforms will be built a day. A platform is basically a Fighter, but has no engine. Instead, it has 2 Rocket Launchers+50 Rockets and 2 Thermite Emalghan Cannons.) (Sunday February 20th)

New Tech
Advanced Sensor Distortion System:
The Distorter, when loaded onto a Warship, will be able to completely blind the enemys sensors for a certain amount of time. The amount of time is determined by the amount of energy the Distorer is given; if a Warship allocates half of its energy to the Distorter, the enemy fleet should be blind for about 5-7 minutes. If the Warship allocates its full capacity (Meaning that it will be running only life support), the enemy fleet will be blind for 10-12 minutes. After a wave is fired, it takes 30 minutes to reload. Ships will still be able to see, in the same way a car driving through very heavy rain's windshield wipers suddently stop can see. ETA: 3 Days (Sunday, February 20th)

This post has been edited by grunadulater : 18 February 2005 - 06:56 PM

On Borb Station, Admiral Azura, the commander of the Northern Frontier, marched confidently across the large hanger bay towards Grand Admiral Zou. Both were surrounded by armored Voinian soldiers of the Imperial Guard.

"Azura, good," Zou said as Azura stepped off her frigate and approached him. "Sorry for taking you away from the frontier. Emporer Oberon said it was urgent."

"It'd better be, because I was right in the middle of coordinating the defense against the Emalgha," Azura shot back, obviously annoyed that she had been interrupted.

Zou gave Azura a slight glare. "You shall do as the Emporer orders. You know that is the way of the Empire."

"But what could be so important as you take us away from the front lines?" Azura questioned as another imperial guard entered the large bay.

"Admirals?" he asked, seeming surprised.

"Yes, we are here to see the Emporer," Zou replied.

"The emporer did not ask for you," the chief guard replied. The two admirals looked at each other for a moment. It didn't dawn on them until the nearby heavy fighter exploded.

The sound was so deafening, the whole station shook, and everyone could hear it. The fighter, loaded with stolen high yield exploded, shot out white hot molten debris all throughout the bay. The fireball engulfed nearly a quarter of the room itself, and anyone who wasn't dismembered by debris, vaporized instantly, or engulfed by flames was knocked off their feet and thrown backwards.

Azura was struck by a large piece of white hot hull plating, and was instantly ripped apart. She was standing closer to the explosion. Her guards were killed as well. Zou was hit by the fireball, and many pieces of small shrapnel. Flying backwards, what really saved him was the guard standing in between him and the fighter. He took a conduit fragment in the chest.

As smoke filled the room, alarm sirens going off, guards and other soldiers rushed into the room to meet the carnage. Most of everyone close by to the fighter were killed, except for Zou and a handful of guards.

"Get the admiral!" the chief guard, getting slowly back to his feet shouted. He walked forward to help an injured guard, despite having a metal shard lodged in his shoulder. Zou, unconscious, was quickly dragged away to be treated.

------

"How could this happen!" Emporer Oberon roared, jumping to his feet and smashing his hands on the black obsidian table, almost cracking it. Nearby, Chief Imperial Guard Jodku, his shoulder now bandaged, stood along with General Daethul. The general had been called to Voinia at around the same time, although for legitimate reasons.

"The heavy fighter was filled with explosives. The pilot was killed in the explosion, but we believe he was an insurgent. A member of a well known terrorist group, Emporer," Jodku replied, his head bowed slightly.

Daethul, clad in black armor, nodded slowly. "The message sent to Zou and Azura were faked. I have already had those involved in the faked message arrested and put to death."

Oberon looked up at the general. "Very good... but this is nevertheless an outrage! A bomb was detonated on our primary station, killing one admiral and severely wounding the leader of the military!" he roared again, his voice echoing down the hallways.

"It will not happen again. I have already ordered increased security precautions," Daethul replied, pausing for a moment. "Zou will recover, in time. He must undergo a lengthy period of recovery from his injuries. In the meantime, we need a replacement for our military. I would suggest--"

"You," Oberon replied quickly.

"What?"

"You. You're the only one I trust as much as I trusted Zou. As of now, you are the leader of the military," Oberon replied.

"I have not been in command for some time, Emporer."

"It is my will that you be the commander, and now you are," Oberon replied stubbornly. Daethul nodded again.

"As you wish it, Emporer. I will lead our forces to victory."

"Do what you must, Daethul. Bring me victory."

------

Daethul wasted little time in reorganizing the fleets. He quickly sent subjugation fleets into areas that required them, and then began fortifying the Eastern Frontier. Obron, Vorik, and Avann were significantly strengthened.

"What of the Northern Frontier?" Daethul asked.

"Weak. The Emalgha are massing their fleets and could attack at any time," his lieutenant replied.

Daethul nodded. "Pull ships away from Vorik and Avann. Send them to Romit immediately. Then move the ships in Fridion and Romit into the Krraali system. I want that system secured. Bring is supply vessels and begin building a base. It's about time we fortified our borders."

Immediately upon Daethul's orders, the fleets in Romit and Fridion headed into the Krraali system. They took up a defensive formation, protecting a large group of supply ships that had come in to begin construction of the outpost.

------

Research Projects

Dreadnought Project -- 4 RTD

Gattling Turret -- 1 RTD

Rocket Warhead Modification -- 4 RTD

Construction Projects

Krraali Outpost -- 4 RTD

------

Naval Statistics

Current Ship Count
230 Cruisers
800 Frigates
1340 Heavy Fighters
1000 Interceptors

Production (per RTD)
8 Cruisers
28 Frigates
45 Heavy Fighters
40 Interceptors

Subjugation Fleets
Gualon, Gamur, Dyram, Tientu
5 Cruisers ( 20 total )
15 Frigates ( 60 total )
25 Heavy Fighters ( 100 total )
20 Interceptors ( 80 total )

45 Cruisers
220 Frigates
320 Heavy Fighters
250 Interceptors

40 Cruisers
190 Frigates
320 Heavy Fighters
250 Interceptors

30 Cruisers
75 Frigates
120 Heavy Fighters
100 Interceptors

Cerberus Warfleet -- Krraali
75 Cruisers
200 Frigates
290 Heavy Fighters
200 Interceptors

Elysium Warfleet -- Niot
20 Cruisers
55 Frigates
190 Heavy Fighters
120 Interceptors

"So, how much in all?" Peter asked the clerk.

"About...forty grand."

Peter swore. "Alright. Forget it."

He went out, swearing colorfully in German.

As he went back to the spaceport, still swearing, he heard a roar.

An all-too familiar roar of engines.

"BATTLE STATIONS! RENEGADE FLEET ATTACKING!!" he yelled, as he dashed to the Seydlitz.

Peter dashed inside, and dropped himself on the pilot's seat, prepping the systems as fast as he could.

Milita vessels were also taking off, Helians and Kraits heading to battle.

"Vector one-eight-zero, five-by-five."

The Arada took off, and was followed by the accompanying fleet.

-----

"On your left Steve, on your left!"

"I got it!"

One Helian dived, desperately trying to get the Krait pack off of its back.

"Steve, pull out, I'm takin' 'em!"

Another Helian burst into the scene, firing its Blaze weapons. Concentrated fire blasted two Kraits, the remaining one being picked off by a militiaman's Krait.

-----

"Marshall, draw fire! I'll take him on!"

One Turncoat went straight at a Renegade one, Blaze weapons firing away.

Another Turncoat approached slowly from behind.

As it did so, all its weapons fired, pelting the Renegade with a fusillade of Blaze and Phase fire.

Engines dead, it was basically disabled.

----- -----

Fleet Positions:

Helians: Formed into pairs, blasting Krait groups
Turncoats: Formed into pairs blasting Turncoats
Seydlitz : Blasting Helians

Research Projects:
1. Sensor Improvements (-10 Interference) ON HOLD ETA: 02/20/05
2. EMPTY

”Get this straight, Mr. Proxima. I’m the boss around here; there ain’t no other boss but me. I’m the man, got it? You come in here making demands, you challenge the man, and the man don’t like that s***.”  

“The man? Well, I have a word o’ news for ya. Man or not, nobody screws the King.”  

The man sitting across the table from Presley was Al Matar, Stellar Corp.’s Chief of Special Projects which basically meant that he was in charge of the company’s less than legal side. Presley leaned back in his chair, bracing himself and causing a shadow to fall over his face as he took a cigar from its container and raised it. For a second, fire leapt from the end of the cigar. Matar’s face suddenly lost its animation, locking into a final expression of surprise. Then, slowly but surely, blood began to flow from the small black spot that had suddenly appeared between Matar’s eyes.  

Presley took a puff of the self-lit cigar before putting it away and standing up. He adjusted his suit, then walked from the office to the adjacent one, which belonged to Matar’s second-in-command and main competition, Rafe Sendar. Presley let himself in. Sendar looked up from behind his desk.  

“Mr. Matar has retired. Congratulations on your promotion, Mr. Sendar. Anyhow, I have some business that I wanna discuss with ya ”  

~~~A Few Hours Later~~~  

The “Council of Seven” was created by the best assassins based on New Chicago. It was founded out of the realization that the greatest threat to a professional was another professional. The purpose of the council was to coordinate the assassins of New Chicago, to help connect them with jobs, acquire necessary resources, and not kill one another. Council assassins did many of the jobs that Stellar Corp.’s usual mercenaries weren’t skilled enough to complete; they were also frequently used in the internal power struggles of the mega-corporation. Sendar had arranged a meeting between the Council and Presley.  

When the mandatory blindfold was removed, Presley found himself in an open-topped cubicle walled by mirrors (probably one-way), Looking up, he could barely make out what appeared to be a warehouse roof far above him. A voice, distorted, came over the top of the cubicle.  

“Target?”  

“Admiral of the UE Fleet that attacked Pariah.”  

“Bounty?”  

“Two million credits.”  

~~~Igadzra Space~~~  

“The little pointy ones still haven’t answered. They appear to be just as un-sociable as the larger ones.”  

“Might as well start broadcasting something a wee bit more interesting, then.”  

“Sir?”  

“Does the ship’s computer have any Coltrane?”  

~~~Gorky~~~  

The UE ships advanced in a diamond formation towards the planet, destroyers screening the carriers. The Renegade ships, seeing as the UE were no longer chasing them, established a distance to protect themselves from rocket-mode hunter missiles, careful not to put themselves between the UE ships and the planet, and began pouring needle missiles into the UE ships without cease. If the UE were to try and re-engage them, they would return to their previous scatter tactics to deny a close-in engagement, where UE hunter rockets and greater turret armament would win the advantage; for now, though, they could fire at will. The Kraits assumed a very loose flanking position near the other ships, so that they could contribute to the needle barrage, and whenever a UE fighter came to attack one of the Helians or Turncoats, the Kraits would come around behind them. Still, a few especially skilled or lucky fighters managed to complete their attack runs before being destroyed. _Banshee’s Wail_ , one of the better raiding ships of the Augorkians, lost its shields, and then took a succession of rockets to the engines, crippling it for a finishing shot to the reactor. The Helians, with their mediocre performance, took substantial losses during this time.   

Once the UE Fighters had been beaten back by a withering hail of needle missiles, the renegade needle ships locked onto the central carrier. The damage-control crews on that carrier worked to the very end; when the ship finally succumbed, only three of its engineers were still alive to be killed in the blast. The explosion of the carrier disrupted the formation slightly, and the needle-less Kraits that remained used the opportunity for a hit and fade attack on the rear of the diamond formation, attacking at an oblique angle so that they barely skimmed the edge of the weapons range of the UE ships, at which point they turned and fired without changing direction before adjusting their trajectory to take them back out of firing range, before the UE ship could get many, or sometimes even any, shots off in return.   

Then the leader of the remaining needle-less Kraits made a fateful decision to come about for a sudden, unexpected second attack with his ships. The Augorkian force commander saw them go, and made an executive decision. Seeing as their chances of survival were simply not good enough, they might as well go out with some impact. The commander transmitted a message to each Krait with the fighter’s prefix code, allowing him to broadcast directly into their central computers. He adjusted their courses towards the two most damaged destroyers, set their reactors to overload, and disabled their maneuvering thrusters. The blackness of space flashed white with energy as the Kraits began to impact. When it was over, neither the destroyers nor a single one of the needle-less Kraits remained.   

UE Losses: 1 Carrier, 5 Destroyers, 40 UE Fighters.  

Renegade Losses: 3 Turncoats (9 remain), 10 Helians (14 remain), 60 Kraits (100 remain, all with needle missiles), much of the distance between the UE Fleet and Gorky.  

~~~South Tip Station~~~  

Rex and Ascia looked at one another.   

“What do you want us to do?” asked Ascia.  

~~~Riomar~~~  

The Crescent warships warped in just outside of the defensive perimeter. Jo turned to Helen. “I told you we should have gone with the more expensive physicist, instead of that duct rat you dragged up from the under-levels. Your idiot miscalculated the system radius.”  

“Hey, at least he was cute for a _man_ , that is. I’ve already recorded the difference in system radius. This isn’t gonna happen again, babe.”  

From across the room, O’Grady called out what he was seeing on the screen that had descended from the ceiling.  

“They’re launching some sort of attack pod...It seems to be an omni-directional guided explosive device. Many of their ships are launching examples of the attack pod how’s this going to go ”  

Jo stood up, her chair falling to the deck behind her. “O’Grady, how are the trajectories of those modules?”  

“A little wavy, but still tracking, more or less ”  

“The interference must be affecting them which means our ICS systems will work. Gimme the fleet.”  

O’Grady hit the comm button. “You’re on.”  

“”All ships, deploy ICS!” Jo shrieked.  

On the screen, small cylinders ejected from the tubes on the Turncoats. Each tube flashed white briefly, flooding the area around it with interference. The SAD modules of the Crescent Warships lost guidance and spiraled off into the distance.   

“Yes!” screamed Jo. She turned to O’Grady, but the latter was in the process of leaving.  

“I’ve got to get to the _Foe_. I’m going out there.”  

“Good luck, Captain,” replied Jo, turning back to the screen and comm.  

Half of the gray pointy ships and white half-jellybean ships began to advance, trying their hardest to avoid the suicide ships and mines. The Aradas were more successful in that regard; their slower speed made them easier to control than the Crescent Fighters, several of which hit mines.   

Jo hit the comm button. “All ships, hold position in the center of the system and open fire on the incoming ships with needles. Aim at the most solid parts of those ships shoot to push, not penetrate.” That got a smile out of Helen, but had a very different effect on the Crescent ships. The little needle missiles did negligible damage, but the impacts did disrupt the maneuvers of their targets, sending them into the mines, which rubbed them out of the sky.   

Despite the incoming needle fire and the mines, the Crescent ships held true to their orders, the undamaged ships followed their orders and attempted to attack the ships disrupting the minesweeping operation. Unfortunately, that meant that they were going up against a solid phalanx of Renegade vessels, with the more durable Turncoats forming the outermost layer, and with their maneuvering seriously hampered by the minefield, they could not fully exploit the superior range of their phase cannons. As their needle missiles continued to take down minesweeping ships, the Renegade vessels shot fighter after fighter out of the stars with their blaze turrets. Still, the superior performance of the Crescent fighters meant that some were able to break through the outer layers of the Renegade formation and lay out destruction among the Kraits. Aradas that attempted that task were not as successful, being repulsed by massed needle fire (for every ship at Freeport had at least one needle launcher, and any ship that ran out was re-supplied by one of thirty captured Shuttles that ware being used for the purpose).  

Meanwhile, the minesweepers that were damaged but functional began to return to the fleet to swap out for new ones, as per their commands. Seeing an opportunity, Jo called up the command box for the suicide ships. She selected the cargo transporters only, which had a top speed to match that of the enemy Aradas. As damaged Aradas made their way back to the fleet, she brought bomb-filled cargo transporters behind them and followed them back to the fleet, so that the Crescent ships had to destroy their own companions before they could open fire on the bomb-ships. A few made it into the midst of the enemy fleet and wrought terrible chaos among the Crescent capital ships. Fortunately for them, the Crescent heavy ships had lighter ships guarding their flanks, so the majority of the bomb-ships were forced to detonate against those instead, with only a small bit of splash damage reaching the heavy ships, which were still carefully advancing in accordance with their orders despite the slaughter. They were almost at the only partially cleared minefield   

On the _Terra’s Dark Foe_ , Christian O’Grady kept a firm grip on the armrests of his captain’s chair. Those jellybean fighters were unnerving, despite their great losses when thrown against the fortifications of Freeport. He activated a channel to the rest of the Renegade fleet. “Hold steady, boys unless they manage to get a heavier ship through the mines, we’ll maintain the phalanx. If they do, well, you’ve all got the location and drift data for the mines in your computer banks. In that event, I want the Kraits to enter the minefield, maneuvering around the mines to keep a distance from the enemy heavy ships while pouring needles into ‘em. Helians, if the Kraits have to break like that, you boys have to move up and cover the flanks of the Turncoats. And if any of the bastards, any of ‘em, go for the shuttles, transfer targeting priority to ‘em.”  

Casualties: Reinstated after moderation with a few more on my side. Seeing as you are no longer rushing into the minefield, my losses have been reattributed to your SAD modules.   

ST Renegades: Three Crescent Warships, 6 Laziras, 55 Renegade Aradas, 300 Crescent Fighters.  

Freeport: 0/18 Turncoats destroyed, 1/45 Helians destroyed, 30/225 Kraits destroyed, 25% of bomb-ships and mines (overall) destroyed.   

R&D (times subject to change without notice due to moderation):

Previous projects are complete.

Hellion Project: The Hellion is an upgraded Helian designed exclusively for combat. It features a 360-degree-rotable hull section underneath the back part of the hull, which contains the ship’s weapons bay. The default contents of the weapon bay are a rocket launcher with five rockets and two needle launchers. The Hellion also features two blaze turrets, one beneath and coaxial to the turreted hull section, the other mounted atop the ship at that place. Engines and shields are both upgraded over the stock Helian. The Hellion is more than two times as expensive as the Helian and can hold only five tones of cargo, however. RETA = 5 RTD

MacGun Programme: This is a new weapon that combines much of the damage architecture of a blaze cannon with the best attributes of apex-level traditional guns. The principle of the weapon is that instead of spending the time to focus a blaze bolt, the bolt is simply given one charge and a base projectile, insulated by frequency matching from the bolt’s destructive energy, is given the opposite charge. A 6-barreled rotary cannon base makes the MacGun even faster firing than the Blaze cannon. The base projectile is primarily high explosive, but between the outer casing and the warhead, there is a layer of concentrated acid, stored by magnetic fields; when it hits the armor of an enemy ship, superheated by the explosion, it will work to degrade the structural integrity of the target ship’s armor. At the back of the projectile is a ring of small thrusters; although the projectile is not capable of true homing or full course change, it is capable of a small amount of shift perpendicular to the direction it was fired in, increasing hit chance. The projectiles have two fire modes: dispersal, where the shell detonates at a distance to cause greater strain to shields, and penetration, where it detonates on contact for greatest damage against armor. Because the weapon relies almost entirely on the combination of established, proven technologies, development time is expected to only be around 6 RTD.

This post has been edited by Wing-of-no-Wing : 19 February 2005 - 08:00 PM

Avann Outpost

"Did you send the message?"

"No."

"Again."

Hakona stood nearby as the soldier, a member of the Serpent Guard, backhanded the prisoner. The prisoner, an officer taken in regards to the terrorist bombing on Borb Station, spat out more purple blood. The guard wiped off some of the same blood from his armored gauntlet.

"You are in charge of relaying communications at this station. The message originated there, and was relayed through a relay on Borb Station to make it appear it originated there. You didn't cover your tracks very well," Hakona stated coldly. "I'll ask you again. Did you send the message?"

The officer merely growled at Hakona, and the guard immediate punched him in the stomach. The officer wrenched and threw up, keeling over onto the ground. Unable to get up with his arms in handcuffs, the guard yanked him to his feet, then punched him in the face before sitting him down again. By now, his face was badly blooded, with one eye swollen shut.

"Don't make me do that again," Hakona growled, stepping forward as the guard grabbed the prisoner's neck, squeezing just enough, but still allowing him to be able to speak. "Did you send the message?"

The prisoner remained silent as the guard tightened his grip. "Well?" Hakona asked again, leaning in to stare the prisoner in the eyes. "Well...?"

------

"He admitted to sending the message. He is from the insurgent group we suspected."

Daethul nodded slowly to Colonel Hakona, one of his more ruthless subordinates. "Anything else?"

"No. He was strong."

Daethul nodded again. "Kill him then. We have other matters to worry about. What of the situation in Krraali?"

"The Cerberus Warfleet has set up a defensive perimeter. The fighter screen has moved out in order to delay any attack force from reaching the station, and a squadron of Interceptors were sent into the DSN-4743 system to watch things.. The Elysium Warfleet in Niot has also sent scouts into the DSN-7617 system. Station construction is proceeding smoothly," Hakona replied, taking the time as he spoke to wipe off some blood from his scaly hands. "I'd also like to mention the subjugation fleet in orbit of Tientu was moved to Niot. The people there don't know what the word 'rebellious' means, and Niot needs more protection."

"Very good. And the Eastern Frontier?"

"Our outposts are well defended, although they still request reinforcements be dispatched as soon as possible. Scouts have been deployed in Grenits, Zator, Porkoren, DSN-9338, and DSN-9418. We also have informants on Pax station that will inform us of any unusual UE activity. Colonel Khazra is in Vorik personally leading the defense."

At that moment, Major Terex entered the meeting hall. He bowed to Daethul before speaking. "General, if I may?"

Daethul nodded, turning to Hakona for a moment. "Go to Krraali personally. Oversee the operation, and make sure it goes smoothly."

Hakona nodded, bowing slightly and then quickly leaving. Daethul turned to Terex. "What do you have to report?"

"The Gatling Turret project was a complete success. Working models are already being manufactured and ready to be outfitted on all vessels. Taking weight into consideration, I believe we will be able to outfit a Cruiser with four turrets, and a frigate with three," Terex replied eagerly.

"What's the effectiveness?"

"The frigate should have around 30% to 35% effectiveness, while the cruiser will be higher; roughly 45% effectiveness. Of course, we can never be sure. We'll have to actually see how they perform in combat to see exactly how well they do."

Daethul nodded slowly in response to Terex's comments. "And the other projects?"

"Research on a modified rocket warhead are proceeding nicely, and we've also begun working on a redesign of the rocket engine. As for the dreadnought, we are still testing many of the systems, but we've already come up with a prototype design," Terex replied, rubbing his hands together and grinning somewhat wickedly. Terex was that kind of person, although he could also be described as unstable.

"How long until I have a Dreadnought, Major?" Daethul asked, looking at Terex in the eye.

Terex shrugged slightly. "Once research is completed... we'll still need to build one, and that will require a substantial effort. Perhaps... somewhere around a week from now?"

Daethul nodded again. "That will do. Keep me informed. I have business to attend to..."

------

General Daethul marched onto the bridge of his flagship, the Perdition. His lieutenant bowed quickly. "Welcome aboard, General. What are your orders?"

Daethul stood in the center of the large room, clad in obsidian black armor, and turned to face the viewscreen. He grinned slightly. "Ready the fleet for immediate departure, and summon Major Decius."

"Immediately, General."

Soon, Decius had boarded the Perdition from his own vessel, the Purgatory. "Yes, General?"

"Take a small group of ships. Ten cruisers, twenty-five frigates, and a large grouping of fighters. Go to DSN-1810 and destroy the outpost, and any UE ship you find," Daethul ordered. "Return to Avann as soon as your mission is accomplished."

Decius grinned eagerly at the task that had been assigned to him. "Yes, general! I shall make the humans suffer."

"Be efficient, Decius. Do not waste time. Now go."

Decius bowed, quickly departing for his ship. Soon, the fleet signaled ready to move. Decius was already leading his group of ships away. Daethul folded his arms in front of him, watching the tactical view of the system.

"Set in a course for DSN-9418. Engage immediately."

In an instant, the entire Voinian fleet had departed the system, traveling towards the UE frontier...

------

DSN-1810

The small force of UE vessels were no doubt startled by the arrival of the far superior Voinian force. The cruiser Purgatory lead the charge, her fighters already deployed. The Voinian Cruisers were in the center, marching steadily forward towards the UE fleet. About half of the frigates were in the center, while the rest were on the flanks. Interceptors guarded the warships. Heavy Fighters grouped at the outer edges of the flanks of the formation.

The UE soon began firing hunter missiles. However, they were shocked as they watched many of their missiles simply exploded before they even reached their targets. The Voinian's gatling turrets blazed away, knocking off many of the incoming missiles. Of course, many did make it through, but the effectiveness of the UE's long range weaponry was cut in half. The Voinians continued to close, and soon their ships opened fire with rockets. The heavy fighters, however, did not open up just yet, as the Voinians continued to advance on the outnumbered UE...

Purgatory Warfleet
10 Cruisers
25 Frigates
80 Heavy Fighters
40 Interceptors

DSN-1810 Defense Fleet
5 U.E. Carriers
10 U.E Destroyers
20 U.E. Fighters

------

Bakka

The UE defenders of Outpost Alpha, although more numerous than those in DSN-1810, were met by an even greater Voinian force. This time, it was the Perdition at the center of the line. Daethul carefully watched the battle unfold. The Cruisers, supported by about half of the frigates and a third of the interceptors, charged the UE fleet head on.

Meanwhile, groups of frigates and heavy fighters headed off to the sides, moving around to surround the UE, flanking their position. The Voinian ships were slow, but they had the element of surprise and worked quickly. The humans had no idea they were coming, and now they were helpless as it became quite obvious that the Voinians were not a defeated giant not daring to wake up.

The battle began as the UE began opening fire with Hunter Missiles, but again the gatling turrets shot down about half of all incoming missiles. The effective point-defense system, combined with strategic placing of ships so that they could protect each other, proved devastating for the long range volley. Soon, the Voinians entered rocket range, and opened fire fire, although they were careful not to waste their rockets early on. As they did in DSN-1810, the Voinians targeted the slower and larger UE Carriers. The fleet continued to move forward...

Abaddon Warfleet
35 Cruisers
195 Frigates
280 Heavy Fighters
210 Interceptors

Bakka Defense Fleet
20 U.E. Carriers
50 U.E. Destroyers
100 U.E. Fighters

------

Research Projects

Dreadnought Project -- 3 RTD

Gatling Turret -- COMPLETED

Rocket Warhead Upgrade -- 3 RTD

Rocket Speed Upgrade -- 4 RTD

Construction Projects

Krraali Outpost -- 3 RTD

------

Naval Statistics

Current Ship Count
238 Cruisers
828 Frigates
1385 Heavy Fighters
1040 Interceptors

Production (per RTD)
New vessels assigned to Niot and Vorik
8 Cruisers
28 Frigates
45 Heavy Fighters
40 Interceptors

Subjugation Fleets
Gualon, Gamur, Dyram
5 Cruisers ( 15 total )
15 Frigates ( 45 total )
25 Heavy Fighters ( 75 total )
20 Interceptors ( 60 total )

Abaddon Warfleet -- Bakka
35 Cruisers
195 Frigates
280 Heavy Fighters
210 Interceptors

Purgatory Warfleet -- DSN-1810
10 Cruisers
25 Frigates
80 Heavy Fighters
40 Interceptors

45 Cruisers
200 Frigates
240 Heavy Fighters
200 Interceptors
(10 Interceptors are currently patrolling the Porkoren system)
(10 Interceptors are currently patrolling the DSN-9338 system)

30 Cruisers
85 Frigates
180 Heavy Fighters
170 Interceptors
(10 Interceptors are currently patrolling the Zator system)

70 Cruisers
200 Frigates
290 Heavy Fighters
200 Interceptors
(10 Interceptors are currently patrolling the DSN-4743 system)

Elysium Warfleet -- Niot
33 Cruisers
78 Frigates
240 Heavy Fighters
180 Interceptors
(10 Interceptors are currently patrolling the DSN-7617 system)

This post has been edited by Captain Carnotaur : 18 February 2005 - 02:06 PM

In the Igadzra system, a large number of freight Laziras were moving into position around orbit of Igadzra. In the midst of the small fleet, the structure of a station was beginning to take shape. It was no ordinary Crescent station, however. It was a specially design station, the first phase of several that were to add onto the station, eventually building it into an efficient shipyard and naval base.

Meanwhile, the entirety of the Igadzra Navy (minus those ships fighting in Stror and on assignment in Groned) was upgraded with the new Graviton Beams and Particle Beams.

------

OOC: New weaponry for Igadzra Vessels will be posted in the OOC topic. Oh, and, erm, sorry for ignoring you, Wing.

------

Ragni

The massive Igazra that had been patrolling Ragni suddenly took notice of the small alien vessel that had entered the system. The Igazra turned around, approaching the vessel with shields up and weapons charged. After what seemed like an eternity of silence, an audio-only comm came in. The voice was obviously distorted by computers.

"Identify yourself and state your purpose in Igadzra space immediately."

------

Research Projects

Halcyon Torpedo -- 4 RTD

PDS Battery -- 4 RTD

Igazra Upgrade -- 3 RTD

Construction Projects

Idzar'xada Super-Station -- Phase 1 -- 4 RTD

------

Naval Statistics

Current Ship Count (not counting losses in Stror)
280 Igazras
840 Igaras

Production (per RTD)
10 Igazras
30 Igaras

Defense Fleets
Igadzra, Ersadt, Innirian, Mark, Nujja, Mordus, Norhis, Motif, Feviry
15 Igazras ( 135 total )
45 Igaras ( 405 total )

1st Armada -- Mark
20 Igazras
60 Igaras

2nd Armada -- Fighting in Stror (Not counting combat losses)
30 Igazras
90 Igaras

3rd Armada -- Igadzra
45 Igazras
135 Igaras

Innirian Defense Detachment -- Innirian
10 Igazras
30 Igaras

4th Armada -- Groned (combined temporarily with the Norhis defense force)
55 Igazras
165 Igaras

OOC:I'll start making actual posts soon, just can't get in the mood for them with no goal for now.

============

Research

Zachit
Engine enhancements - ZF & ZA
ETA:Complete

Zachit
MPM Enhancement
ETA:Complete 18/02 - 21/02

Miranu
Electronic Counter Measures
ETA:Complete 14/02 - 21/02

============

Squadrons is 2 Z.Aradas, 6 Z.Fighters
Group is 10 Squadrons

Niwom
1Group
Dewe
3 Groups
Nadej
3 Groups
DSN-6116
1 Group
Zachit
4 Groups
5 Squadrons
Hizdriar
1 Squadron
Turgon
1 Squadron
Zeldair
1 Squadron
Tmidor
1 Squadron
Xrima
1 Squadron
Sumo
1 Squadron
Eiribi
1 Squadron
Garren
1 Squadron
Turgon
1 Squadron
Sumo
1 Squadron
DSN-1770
1 Squadron

3 Fighters detached from Zachit fleet to Miranu envoy.

Production
90 Z.Fighters, 30 Z.Aradas, located in Zachit.

Battle of Bakka
“Begin the retreat...these irritating Voinians will have to be dealt with later.”
The Bakka Defense Force, realizing that the Voinians were pretty much going to take the place over, began a retreat towards the least protected part of the enemy lines, and, with several losses, managed to blow a hole through the enemy force.
Meanwhile, the people of Outpost Alpha were busy. After sending all non-military inhabitants away in escape pods, the guards formed defensive positions at the closed-off docking points of the station, while a small crew of technicians, loaded up with the package of an immense bomb, headed down towards the core of the station. The Protector grimly nodded as the Voinian force moved in closer towards the station.
“Wait for the enemy to dock, and with as many ships as possible...then we’ll blow them to pieces. Of course...heh...we’ll die, too, but it’s better than nothing.”
Minutes passed, and the Voinian fleet finally moved in...and started firing off their rockets at long-range, while the closer ships firing both rockets and neutrons. As the station shook from the impacts, the Protector shrugged.
“Guess we’ll have to do things their way.”
The immense explosion that followed several ten seconds later was not a mass hallucination, although the Voinians wished it was, as the shrapnel and debris that followed the explosion that followed ripped apart five Frigates and several fighters.

U.E. Losses:
7 U.E. Carriers
10 U.E. Destroyers
68 U.E. Fighters
Outpost Alpha
The Protector

Voinian Losses:
3 Voinian Cruisers
10 Voinian Frigates
25 Voinian Heavy Fighters
40 Voinian Interceptors

The Director, down at Yandros, finally decided what he would do.
“Get the fleet ready for hyperspace...we’re going to head down to Pax Station and end that little treaty.”
The system, being completely unprotected by the Voinians, bowed quickly before the fleet’s might. The Director sent a quick message to the defense fleets of the nearby U.E. systems, telling them to bring “Project Omega” and “Project Gamma” into order.

---
The battle at Gorky will be resumed in the next post of mine.

------
United Earth Fleet and Construction
207 Carriers
787 Destroyers
1132 U.E. Fighters
700 Freight Couriers
100 Scoutships
Per Day: 5 Carriers, 23 Destroyers, 30 Fighters
Earth: 4 Carriers, 10 Destroyers, 20 Fighters (All work will be done temporarily on station construction.)
New Taranto: 2 Carriers, 13 Destroyers, 20 Fighters
Paaren: 3 Carriers, 10 Destroyers, 10 Fighters
United Earth Force Locations:
Grand Armada (Commanded by the Director)
52 U.E. Carriers
210 U.E. Destroyers
340 U.E. Fighters
Earth Force (Controlled by Admiral Rivers)
15 U.E. Carriers
22 U.E. Destroyers
78 U.E. Fighters
Defense Fleets:
Huron Fleet
10 U.E. Carriers
30 U.E. Destroyers
50 U.E. Fighters
Thoso Fleet
10 U.E. Carriers
33 U.E. Destroyers
50 U.E. Fighters
Valos Fleet
13 U.E. Carriers
35 U.E. Destroyers
60 U.E Fighters
Yandros Fleet
20 U.E. Carriers
50 U.E. Destroyers
100 U.E. Fighters
DSN-1810 Force
5 U.E. Carriers
10 U.E Destroyers
20 U.E. Fighters
Centauri Fleet
31 U.E. Carriers
138 U.E. Destroyers
162 U.E. Fighters
Saalia Fleet
13 U.E. Carriers
75 U.E. Destroyers
100 U.E. Fighters
Sol Defensive Fleet
43 U.E. Carriers
200 U.E. Destroyers
180 U.E. Fighters

---NEW PROJECTS IN DEVELOPMENT---
U.E. space mine introduction program. Will re-introduce space mines. U.E.-generated space mines will be tossed into U.E. systems and U.E. border systems that are not currently occupied by the Voinians. All production in the Sol system will be devoted to producing space mines upon the completion of this project until further notice.
ETA: Two days.
U.E. Hypermine Railgun. Launches hypermines from a railgun device. Hypermines are space mines with 75% the warhead of a normal space mine and a small, limited-power hyperdrive that doesn’t quite propel the mine into hyperspace. Immense damage is done. Will be equipped on all U.E. warships to replace Hunters upon development. Fighters will be left with Mini-Hunters.
ETA: Three days; is created alongside space mine introduction program.
---PROJECTS IN DEVELOPMENT---
Earth Station. ETA: Two days.

---PROJECTS FINISHED---
Mini-Hunters. ETA: Finished. All U.E. Fighters now mount Mini-Hunters.
Missile Jammer. ETA: Finished. All U.E. ships now mount missile jammers.

This post has been edited by Consul Bob : 19 February 2005 - 03:13 PM

Bakka

Daethul watched the UE fleet scramble to retreat, chuckling to himself as he saw their smaller vessels scurrying about. "Can't even put up a defense defense... very well then. Order the Heavy Fighters to charge the enemy vessels. Don't let them pull you into Blaze Range. Attack with rockets from a distance. Close in just close enough to fire with neutrons."

On queue, the Heavy Fighter formations charged the retreating UE ships, shooting dozens of rockets into their formations and causing much havoc and destruction. The fighters only darted in quickly enough to strafe the UE with their neutron weapons, knowing that they outdistanced blaze weaponry easily. Once they were out of rockets, those fighters that could quickly returned to their motherships.

The Voinian fleet charged straight into the UE, making sure to keep a safe distance from Outpost Alpha, which was no doubt rigged to explode. The UE fleet attempted to charge the line of frigates and break free, but the Voinian Cruisers launched a new wave of rearmed Heavy Fighters. The fighters distracted the UE long enough for the Cruisers to get in close and cause more destruction.

However, soon the UE fleet managed to break free with most of the personnel from Outpost Alpha. Heavy Fighters and Interceptors chased down the UE, shooting rockets into their ships as they attempted to jump, causing more damage. At last, the UE jumped away, and the Voinians turned to the station.

Daethul knew that not all of the personnel had been evacuated, and thus began opening fire with long range rockets. It didn't take too long for the station to explode, although the Voinians weren't sure if it was because of their rockets, or if the station was made to self-destruct. Several Voinian ships were damaged, but none were actually destroyed. Overall, their losses had been light, considering what they had originally expected.

Survey the wreckage of the UE's former outpost, Daethul pondered his next move. No doubt, they would also be victorious in DSN-1810, with similar results. The human core worlds were now open to attack, but not just yet. Many of the UE ships had escaped, and Daethul was hesitant to enter the Centauri system when he wasn't sure what was there.

"Lay in a course back for Avann. We'll wait there until Decius returns, and then begin the next step in our plans..."

Abaddon Warfleet -- Returning to Avann
32 Cruisers (3 destroyed, 2 moderately damaged)
185 Frigates (10 destroyed, 3 moderately damaged)
255 Heavy Fighters (25 destroyed)
160 Interceptors (40 destroyed)

United Earth Fleet -- Retreated to Centauri
13 Carriers (7 destroyed, 2 heavily damaged, 5 moderately damaged, 4 lightly damaged)
40 Destroyers (10 destroyed, 9 heavily damaged, 11 moderately damaged)
32 Fighters (68 destroyed)

This post has been edited by Captain Carnotaur : 18 February 2005 - 06:44 PM

DSN-2016

On orders from Colonel Hakona to scout out the system, five Voinian Interceptors jumped into the system. They quickly noticed a series of Emalgha sensor relays in the system, destroying them, and then returning to patrol the system.

------

DSN-1810

As was the case in Bakka, the United Earth forces quickly evacuated the station, not even bothering to leave crew on the station. It didn't matter. The Voinians began shelling the station, which soon exploded under the intense punishment. Immediately afterwards, the Voinians retreated to Avann.

Voinian Losses
3 Frigates
15 Fighters
10 Interceptors

United Earth Losses
1 Carrier
5 Destroyers
15 Fighters

------

Avann

In the Avann system, the Perdition and Purgatory warfleets had returned and reassembled, rearming themselves and repairing battle damage. No word for further action was given for the day. Daethul wanted to give the men a rest, and receive some reinforcements, before making any new moves...

------

Current Ship Count
235 Cruisers
815 Frigates
1345 Heavy Fighters
990 Interceptors

Subjugation Fleets
Gualon, Gamur, Dyram
5 Cruisers ( 15 total )
15 Frigates ( 45 total )

42 Cruisers
207 Frigates
250 Heavy Fighters
190 Interceptors
(10 Interceptors are currently patrolling the DSN-9418 system)
(10 Interceptors are currently patrolling the Bakka system)

45 Cruisers
200 Frigates
240 Heavy Fighters
200 Interceptors
(10 Interceptors are currently patrolling the Pokoren system)

30 Cruisers
85 Frigates
180 Heavy Fighters
170 Interceptors

70 Cruisers
200 Frigates
290 Heavy Fighters
200 Interceptors

Elysium Warfleet -- Niot
33 Cruisers
78 Frigates
240 Heavy Fighters
180 Interceptors
(5 Interceptors are currently patrolling the DSN-7617 system)
(5 Interceptors are currently patrolling the DSN-2061 system)

Azrioni Desert, Tibidat, before the invasion of Groned:

Kitra walked through the stifling desert thinking deeply about the confrontation towards which she was walking. The Society knew that she had a history with him, but they had chosen to send her regardless. They were fools if they wanted war with the Igadzra and her very presence was likely to bring it about. Regardless, she trudged the miles towards the isolated diplomatic hall; she had given her life to serve Tibidat and the Society. She would not simply disregard her orders because she thought she knew what was best for them.

A few miles later, she came upon what she thought was a lavish hall and the massive Igazra slowly lowering itself down. The Igazra dwarfed the massive building; it was fitting. She walked up to the door and pressed forward; the door opened for her as it would for the Igadzra when they got off their ship.

Inside she prepared herself for their arrival. She’d come with slightly less weaponry this time, but she couldn’t bear to leave much of it. These weapons were all that she had left, her life after the revolt had centered around them, so much that she now knew that she’d neglected her daughter. Too much of the same blood, the same mindset was in that girl. She’d been almost impossible to control as she grew and as an adult she became even more difficult, but she didn’t have to worry about that anymore. It was over.

She stood there away from the entrance at the end of the table. She kept her face blank and controlled as she waited, but it wasn’t long. The Igadzra were as prompt as always.

As soon as they had walked up to the negotiating table, she began silently disarming herself. She started with the sword and finished with her three daggers. They formed an equilateral triangle around the sword. After she had finished, she looked toward the five people across the table with a strange acceptance in her eyes. “Welcome honored guests. This is my home.”

The Igadzra in the center looked at Kitra and nodded slightly with recognition but he and his men quickly followed suit. He threw his weapons in the same order that Kitra had, first throwing a scimitar into the center that stood upright, then his phase pistol and finally his two daggers which landed upright and with her daggers formed a pentagon around all the weaponry. Then he took off the bandana that covered his face and laid it down directly in front of him on the table. “Thank you honorable host. Now if you would permit we could get to business.”

“Yes, it would be best honored guest.” Kitra looked at his weapons, she was slightly surprised by his precision with the knives and the scimitar. She had known that the Grand Executor X’el would be skillful, but she hadn’t guessed that he would be able to toss weapons skillfully. That skill had been disappearing when she rebelled against the Igadzra.

“X'el replied, "I am here to negotiate with your government personally. My government seeks several things. First of all, we want an answer to our proposal of a base in Nifal. Secondly, what should be done with Groned. Thirdly, an alliance, and possible trading pact."

"I'm afraid I must give you poor news in that case, honored friend. The people for whom I speak cannot allow you to build a facility in Nifal. I apologize profusely for this."

X’el nodded slowly, "I am sorry to hear that. However, due to recent developments, I do not believe the need for such a base is as urgent as it was before. We will allow that to slide from our negotiations.”

I am afraid, honored friend, that the news doesn't get any better. Those who control me do not wish to have an alliance. It would be very damaging to them to be linked to any Strand. In a way that is security for you, because you know that they will not aid your enemies." Kitra breathed deeply and looked from the unarmed soldiers across the table towards the weapons in the center.

“I would like to say on behalf of our military that our forces will leave the Groned system as soon as can be arranged. Once we subdue the renegades, and offer to repair their damaged facilities, we'll leave. We may also pursue a trade pact with them, which brings me to my next question. What is your opinion of a trading pact? Not an alliance, but merely an agreement to open trading relations."

She would obviously have no say in what they did at Groned but she’d expected that. The Igadzra would accomplish their primary objective whatever happened. “Honored friend, such a pact may be possible, but not overtly. Any markedly Igadzra vessels coming through on a regular basis would open those whom I speak for to accusations of collaboration and subservience. Even your brief appearance here has bred some discontent I'm afraid."

"They would be merchant Laziras and perhaps none of our vessels would even need to come here. You could send ships to Motif instead, captained by those sympathetic to the strands."

"Honored friend, we have no trading vessels, we rely on independent pilots that move throughout the South Tip. However, the Laziras would be acceptable, but only if they came through Groned and not Nifal.”

X’el nodded slightly. “That would be fine.”

“Honored friend, is that all you came for?”

“That was all we had intended to discuss Kitra.” He looked at her intensely, something was obviously bothering her.

"I have one final favor to ask you. If you would listen, honored friend." She did not know why she was doing this, it was consorting with the enemy and was nearly an act of rebellion.

"Yes?"

"It is of a more personal matter and I'd like to request that your men leave. To ensure your safety you may have them retrieve your weapons." The negotiation was over in any case, the favor she asked was not a diplomatic matter and would have no affect on policy.

X'el raised an eyebrow, nodding slowly to his marines, who retrieved their weapons and left the room. The guards grabbed his pistols on their way and returned them to their leader

She paused for a moment until she was sure that no one else would be able to hear what she said. "You know who I am, but yet you haven't done anything. Is it not still treason to allow a Renegade to live?"

"If I were Rune, you would already be dead, but I am not. Although I disagree with what you did and consider you a traitor, you are now a foreign diplomat which I must respect." X'el sighed. "Consider this an act of forgiveness on our part."

"It is no mercy. That pile of weapons is what is left of who I am. Both my past and my future lie with these tools of death. I didn't take much from the Directorate when I fled, and what little I took was returned. Except those three knives, everything was taken back and I was presumed dead. Those three things are all that I can claim is Igadzra about me. I have broken almost every tradition, I have fought as a Renegade against my people, I have killed innocents with my zeal. I used the Zidigar as a weapon and destroyed many of them as well, but I have never felt and never will feel remorse. I cannot any longer."

X'el nodded slowly again, but he didn’t say anything.

"Take what you want, I need to get rid of these binds. I cannot change my past so I must break its hold over my future. I have nothing of the Igadzra in me, so I beg you. Take a piece of me and make it Igadzra again."

X’el nodded once again and stepped onto the table. He walked to the center surrounded by an arsenal before slowly grabbing the red hilt that rose just slightly above his head and pulling it out. Then he turned around and walked off the table to the place where he had stood before. He turned around one final time and looked at the outcast before him. “So be it.” Then he turned again and walked away, back to his men and his ship.

Back in the hall, Kitra finally bent to gravity, sitting at one of the chairs by the table. She had succeeded. There would be no war with the Igadzra and she was one step closer to redemption.

Fleet numbers:

Total:
7 Crescent Warships
21 Laziras
56 Aradas
280 Crescent Fighters

Tibidat:
3 Crescent Warships
11 Laziras
42 Aradas
140 Independent Crescent Fighters.

Duois
Tibidat fleet:
4 Crescent Warships
10 Laziras
14 Aradas
100 Crescent Fighters

Duois fleet:
3 Laziras
15 Aradas
50 Crescent Fighters

Akrayhek:
1 Crescent Fighter

Baboom:
1 Crescent Fighter

Hrinix:
1 Crescent Fighter

Nifal:
8 Crescent Fighters

DSN-8075:
8 Crescent Fighters

DSN-5468:
10 Crescent Fighters

Malago:
10 Crescent Fighters

Emalghion
The door opened. Admiral Mineaux walked into the room. Outside, the sun had finally set on Emalghia. Behind the desk, the Emalghans eyes bugged out of their owners head.

"What the he-"

"The mission was aborted."

"What?!" Usually the first that one wants to hear when one asks 'Have we recieved progress from the battle?' is not 'The mission was aborted.' Unfortunately, it was what the person heard, and the person happened to be Mindule.

"You better have a damn good reason for this, Admiral, or I'll have to expelled for sure this time." Mineaux nodded, and placed a datapad on the Directors desk. As Mindule looked at it, he gritted his teeth.

"And you did not carry through witht he plan. Because 10 interceptors entered DSN-4743 and destroyed our relay sentry."

"Sir, we haven't gotten anything from DSN-2061. There is no way that the Voinians aren't planning a trap. The best option for us to do is to keep stocking our defenses."

"Mineaux, what on Emalghia makes you think I'm going to stop an attack just because you said so." Mindule laughed with the tone of claws on a chalkboard. "Forget it. We're carrying through, and you're to be court-martialed for disobeying my direct order." Mineaux sighed and frowned.

"Sir... I..."

"Out. Now, you pathetic excuse for an-" Mindule stopped. For some reason, he had just heard a reasonably loud sound. It wasn't the kind of sound a Director usually heard every day. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that he seemed to be bleeding rather profusely from his chest, he would've regonized the noise as a gunshot, probably from some sort of sniper rifle. As the world around him grew darker, he heard Mineaux yelling for an medical team.

-----

Mineaux was charged with the murder, but there was absolutely no evidence. The videos showed that the shot came through the window, and that Mineaux had actually tried to help Mindule. Mindule died, however, shortly after the medics arrived.

Mere hours later, Admiral Mineaux became the Director of Militia.

Under the Directors commands, Research and Development have changed a bit.

----------
Emalghion
Rays frowned. He and the human had been watching the military's comm channel for over an hour now.

"I'm sorry you've come at such a bad time. However, I suggest that we make our way directly to negotiations." As Rays spoke, the human was sending a message back to Earth to say that the two governements had made contact.

----------
Research and Development
Refit: ETA: Done (Thursday, February 17th)
Long Range Thermite Railgun: ETA: PROJECT REINSTATED 3 Days (Monday, February 21st)

New Tech
Advanced Interference Clearing Sensors:
Building on the Sensor research before (4 Days of research), the new Advanced Sensors are far more effective. Literally no interference can be detected with them, and they have an extremely long sensor range. They will be able to penetrate nebulae, but they will have an extremely hard time doing so; while hyperroutes discovered by the sensors will be safe, the range and intereference will moderately bad. ETA: 2 Days (Sunday, February 20th)

Building Project
Emalghion Defense Platforms: ETA: 3 Days (20 Platforms will be built a day. A platform is basically a Fighter, but has no engine. Instead, it has 2 Rocket Launchers+50 Rockets and 2 Thermite Emalghan Cannons.) (Sunday February 20th)

Advanced Sensor Distortion System: ETA: PROJECT HALTED

New Ship
Emalghan Carrier: ETA: Dunno when, but we'll say it started today. Ipvy should get back to me.

This post has been edited by grunadulater : 25 February 2005 - 12:34 AM

A lone Miranu courier escorted by three zachit fighters and five crescent fighters touched down in the Hinrix system. After hearing rumors that Feviry was jointly controled by the Igadzra and Strandless, the Miranu trade representitve had decided to forego landing at Feviry in favor of landing in Hinrix. After all, she was supposed to establish trade relations with the South Tip - and Feviry hardly qualified as the south tip anyway.

Her mission had been further delayed by her fighter escorts, who took ample time to test out the newest Miranu hyperspace upgrades, recently developed before the deployment of the mission. All told, it had taken nearly three times as long to reach their destination as expected.

Disembarking from her ship, the Miranu trade representive went to the nearest Foreign Relations building she could find, and made her presence known to the secretary. "My name is Shiaru," she said, "and I am here on behalf of the Miranu Trade Conglomorate. I wish to discuss strengthening trade relations between our people and the Strandless. Is there someone to whom I might speak?"

----------

At the same time, another Miranu trade representative was arriving at his destination, but under much different circumstatnces. He represented the Miranu government, and had been a member of the peace corps for nearly fourty years. His Heavy Freighter flashed out of hyperspace, and the sight of dozens of Igadzra vessels greeted him.

"It's always a pleasure to deal with the Igadzra," he said in an offhand comment to his first officer. "It's refreshing to deal with a race who are so... calm."

Knowing that the Igadzra didn't appreciate unannounced visitors, he opened a channel to the planet and to all ships in the system. "Greetings, Igadzra officials. I am Ambassador Soran of the Miranu, here at the request of your government to conduct trade talks. I request permission to land so that these talks may convene."

----------

At a joint meeting of the Zachit and Miranu, two of the lead researchers from the Miranu Academy of Sciences who had been involved in the Advanced Warning Network initiative breifed a gathering of Zachit officers and Miranu Peace Corps officials.

"The initial tests indicate that the buoys are calibrated correctly and that their mFtL network is in place and operating normally," Professor Priashi said. "We brought the first of the buoys online early this morning, and the others all came online automatically within minutes."

"We're recieving readings from the buoys already," said the other presenter. "In fact, we've been able to monitor trade vessels passing through Nadej and the surrounding systems for the past six hours."

"While initial tests of this network are in progress," Priashi said, "we're working on extending the network to the eastern Miranu border. We don't believe the Zidagar pose us any threat, but we want to be sure that we monitor all traffic along the border now that it's closed." Several of the Zachit nodded their agreement. "We never know when one of the greedier MTC elements might try to cross illegally. Expanding the network into this region will prevent it."

---------

"We're nearly finished with the nebula penetration device," said one of several other researchers, back at the Academy.

"Lucky Priashi," intoned another, "he's off galavanting around up in Zachit, and we're stuck here doing all the hard work."

"I think this one's on the level," said one of the research assistants. "Just so long as his next talk isn't on Kirrim Prime." A round of chuckles circulated through the lab.

----------

The colony on DSN-3930 was really taking shape - almost everything was complete now, with the exception of several of the housing units on the edge of the newly built city, and the finishing touches to the spaceport and medical complex. It wouldn't be too long before the colony would open for business, as both a trading post, and a bustling new population center.

----------

The two MTC agents stood in the shadows of the alleyway on Mirava, having hardly moved in several hours. It had been this way for several days. They'd appear shortly before the Senate finished its business for the day, and then wait in the shadows, observing the government officials as they passed. One in particular seemed to catch their attention, a young senator from the planet of Blaga. The two conspirators were careful to note the time of his departure each day, and the time at which he passed by their hiding place.

Once again the senator passed right on schedule, and as had been the case for nearly a week now, the two men in black trenchcoats noted the time and place, and walked off, melding into the shadows of the alleyway.

"Two more days," one of them whispered to the other. "Two more days, and then the MTC will show all of Miranu space that they'd better not ignore our interests on the Senate floor."

----------

Research :

1. Colonization of DSN-3930 (to be complete Feb. 20th, 7 days total)
  2. Nebula Penetration Device (to be complete Feb. 20th, 6 days total)
  3. Zachit slot: Currently in use by RMA.

Fleets :
No changes.

Production :
All ships produced the past two days split evenly between all Miranu systems.

OOC: Real posts coming later.

------

Research Projects

Dreadnought Project -- 2 RTD

Rocket Warhead Upgrade -- 2 RTD

Rocket Speed Upgrade -- 3 RTD

Construction Projects

Krraali Outpost -- 2 RTD

------

Naval Statistics

Current Ship Count
243 Cruisers
843 Frigates
1390 Heavy Fighters
1030 Interceptors

Production (per RTD)
New vessels assigned to Niot, Krraali, and Avann
8 Cruisers
28 Frigates
45 Heavy Fighters
40 Interceptors

Subjugation Fleets
Gualon, Gamur, Dyram
5 Cruisers ( 15 total )
15 Frigates ( 45 total )

42 Cruisers
215 Frigates
250 Heavy Fighters
190 Interceptors
(10 Interceptors are currently patrolling the DSN-9418 system)

45 Cruisers
200 Frigates
240 Heavy Fighters
200 Interceptors

30 Cruisers
85 Frigates
180 Heavy Fighters
170 Interceptors

70 Cruisers
200 Frigates
315 Heavy Fighters
220 Interceptors

Elysium Warfleet -- Niot
41 Cruisers
98 Frigates
260 Heavy Fighters
200 Interceptors
(5 Interceptors are currently patrolling the DSN-7617 system)
(5 Interceptors are currently patrolling the DSN-2061 system)

OOC: More later
----------

Emalghion

"So, it's agreed, then?"

"Yes." Rays grinned at the human. They had been at Bosch's labratory all night, discussing possible things the two government could do to help each other. Bosch spoke.

"I think this is actually a very interesting idea. Can we set up a direct connection comm link with your space? Anyway... " Bosch smiled. He was strangely not angry at this animal. I mean, sure, it was a little underdeveloped, but it was friendly.

"The UE-Emalgha Thermite Railgun could, in fact, win us the war."

----------
Research and Development
PROJECT RENAMED
UE-Emalgha Thermite Railgun (Dual-Research): ETA: 3 Days (Tuesday, February 21st)

Advanced Interference Clearing Sensors: ETA: 1 Days (Sunday, February 20th)

Building Project
Emalghion Defense Platforms: ETA: 1 Days (20 Platforms will be built a day. A platform is basically a Fighter, but has no engine. Instead, it has 2 Rocket Launchers+50 Rockets and 2 Thermite Emalghan Cannons.) (Sunday February 20th)

Advanced Sensor Distortion System: ETA: PROJECT HALTED

Emalghan Carrier: ETA: Dunno when. Ipvy should get back to me.

This post has been edited by grunadulater : 19 February 2005 - 03:24 PM

MacDarien turned to his first officer as the massive flying phallic symbol turned towards them. “Make a note unknown aliens appear somehow affected by jazz.”  

The yellow and orange ship put itself right in front of the Turncoat, energy readings shooting off the meters as it armed weapons and shields.   

“Whoah,” said the Renegade Captain, softly. The alien vessel transmitted its message.  

“Identify yourself and state your purpose in Igadzra space immediately.”  

MacDarien chuckled slightly. “They get right to the point. I like that. Mr. James, open a channel.”  

“Channel open, sir.”  

MacDarien, even though the channel was audio only, stood to address the alien commander. “This is Captain Shawn MacDarien of the _Wrath of Hades_. We are part of a species called Humanity. We come in peace, with the intention of creating a mutually beneficial agreement between your entity and our own.”  

~~~Iothe~~~  

A single merchant Helian dropped into the system.  

“We’re here, kids,” said the ship’s owner, a grizzled old merchant. The taller of his two passengers reached into his garments and extracted a credit-stick, which he began to offer to the merchant. The smaller of the figures cut off the action by drawing a compact machine pistol and ending the merchant’s life.  

“Trisha, Trisha you really must learn some subtlety, m’dear,” sighed Edwards, shaking his head.   

In reply, she walked to the merchant’s body and searched it, finding his wallet, from which she liberated several credit sticks. “Subtlety can come when there’s time for it.”  

Just then, four Kraits with militia IFF approached the Helian. “ _SS Laser_ , hold position for a cargo inspection.”  

Trisha and Edwards looked at one another. “We’ve gotta hide the body,” they said in unison.  

They picked up the dead merchant and hauled him over to the Helian’s trash vaporizer. However, they quickly found out that he was too big to fit into the vaporizer. Trisha unsheathed one of her knives, and handed another to Edwards.   

The Kraits surrounded the Helian, and their leader slowly drew closer, preparing to dock. Onboard the Helian, the renegades began frantically sawing at the merchant’s arms. Blood poured everywhere.   

“This isn’t going to work,” said Edwards.  

“Just keep cutting,” growled Trisha, her garments soaked with blood.  

“Use your brain. There’s no way we can get this ship cleaned up in time. We have to try something else.”  

“Like what?”  

“You take the controls of the Helian. I’ll think of something.”  

There was a grinding sound as the Krait docked with the Helian. A few moments later, the airlock of the Helian began to open slowly.  

Edwards pulled his pistol and fired once. The shot hit the airlock doorframe on the opening and ricocheted to the other side of the airlock door, going through the Krait pilot’s voicebox and into his spine, taking him down before he ever had a chance to see the inside of the Helian.  

Edwards slipped through the partially open airlock door, opened the Krait’s side of the airlock, and stepped through onto a tiny lift that boosted him into the cockpit of the fighter. The Krait’s airlock closed behind him, and he initiated undocking procedures.  

“Joe, what the f**k are you doing?” came a voice over the Krait’s communication.  

“I’m afraid Joe isn’t doing much of anything anymore,” responded Edwards, throwing the turn thrusters to full to bring the Krait around 180 degrees. The two Kraits behind the Helian opened fire with their blaze cannons, but Edwards floored the main engines, and their fire converged behind him, above the Helian, which was drifting as if dead. The Krait that was in front of the Helian turned around to get onto Edwards’ tail, but when it did so, a quick burst of blaze fire from the Helian caught it in the cockpit, killing the pilot. One of the remaining militia Kraits broke off to port to come around behind Edwards as he powered between them; the other engaged thrusters and put itself right behind the Helian. Edwards turned his Krait around to fire back at his pursuer, who returned fire; each Krait lost half of its shielding before the militia Krait activated its liftoff thrusters while pushing its nose down, keeping its guns on Edwards, who was forced to break to starboard and bear off, engaging engines to pass by his opponent.   

On the Helian, Trisha cursed. The old merchant was out of needle missiles, and the aging semi-freighter was simply too sluggish to shake the Krait. The shields took hit after hit, falling to 30%. Then they were at 20%, and the Krait was still there. 10%, and still falling. Shields down   

Edwards saw the Helian’s hull suddenly grow black as its armor began to take hits. Suddenly forced to ignore his opponent, who was coming about behind him, he fell in line with the Helian and its pursuer. He was about to press the fire button, but an instinct told him to hold back at the last moment, and a good thing, too, because the militia Krait behind the Helian engaged its liftoff thrusters, bringing it above Edwards’ line of fire. Had he pressed the trigger, he would have destroyed the Helian. Engaging his own lift thrusters, he came up behind his new target.   

Trisha was confused. A moment ago, she was sure this would be the end, not because of the Krait on her tail, but because of the four militia squadrons that were lifting off the surface. Then, all of a sudden, the militia ships had done a collective about-face and returned to the surface. What was going on down there?   

The Krait in front of Edwards pushed its nose down to target the Helian, but the merchant ship went into the hardest banking port turn that it could manage, and the burning red bolts passed to the side of it. Edwards anticipated that the Krait would turn to follow its target, and turned himself, but he was mistaken. The Krait instead threw even more power into its attitude adjustment thrusters, bringing it around upside-down to face Edwards. Edwards took a couple of hits before he could bring his nose back around, and then the Krait in front of him hit its lift thrusters, bringing it below Edwards, where his visibility was at its worst. Knowing what would happen next if he did not act, Edwards banked to starboard as hard as he could, circling away from the Helian just as the blaze bolts of the Krait below him passed through where he had just been. He completed the turn...and found himself facing straight at the other militia Krait. Edwards was faster and fired first, but the militia Krait bore off to port after the first couple of hits, passing by Edwards and putting itself on the Helian’s tail. The Krait that had been behind the Helian earlier came up behind Edwards and opened fire.  

Edwards dove; the militia Krait, in Spitfire fashion, flipped itself over to dive, activating its lift thrusters to dive faster than Edwards could. A few more blaze bolts tagged the tail of Edward’s Krait, taking down the shields. Any more hits and his fighter would make like an eggshell hit with a jackhammer.  

The Helian suddenly lost power as a hail of blaze bolts burnt out its engines. The militia Krait behind came in for the kill   

A hail of needle missiles suddenly eliminated both of the militia ships. Edwards checked his sensors to see what had just happened, but they had been disabled in the battle, as had Trisha’s. Trying to see their savior, Edwards rotated his Krait all around. What he saw only added to his confusion: a Turncoat had taken off from the surface of Iothe, and was now approaching his Krait. Then the comm crackled into life, and his heart sank.  

“Hello, Edwards ol’ chap,” said the Nadir. “Would ya care to join me ‘n my crew for dinner?”  

~~~Onboard the Nadir~~~  

Ian awoke to the feel of an electric livestock prod against his side. He jumped to his feet, but in the darkness that he found himself in, he couldn’t seem to find the floor, and fell back down with a painful thud. The prod hit him again, and once again, he tried to get up and failed. There was something not quite right about the gravity   

_I’m on a ship_. The realization hit Ian even harder than the third shot of the electric prod, and he finally managed to find his feet.   

“Git’ up, ######,” came a gruff voice that Ian did not know. “Boss has got some things he wants to show you.”  

The lights came on, intolerably bright. Ian shielded his eyes as he was forcibly dragged from his cell by two burly, scarred men in pirate clothes.   

They took him from the brig through a maze of corridors. The corridor plan resembled no ship that he had ever been on before, not a Cargo Transporter, Turncoat, Freighter, Freight-Courier, Scoutship, Helian, or even a UE Destroyer (which he had been on once in a failed attempt to imprison him). They had the dirty smokiness of a Renegade vessel, though; he also noted the exposed wiring all over the place, which often lead to strange devices that for all his knowledge, he could not identify.   

After a while, he found himself in what appeared to be some kind of laboratory. At least, half of it was a laboratory, filled with equipment, much of which Ian had only seen in theoretical diagrams. The other half was empty except for a medical bench, upon which   

“Kitasha!” Ian screamed, wrenching himself from the pirates and running across the lab. When he reached the middle, where the room changed, he hit some kind of transparent wall a one-way mirror, he guessed, through the daze of impact that had him taking small steps backwards until the cattle prod was driven into the small of his back, bringing him to his knees.   

He heard footsteps, and was yanked upwards by the arms and turned around. The Nadir has just entered the lab.   

“Ian so glad to see yer awake,” said the Nadir.  

“What do you want from me?” growled Ian.  

“I want someone to share my greatest work with the triumph of my superior intellect.”  

“Why don’t you just share it with one of your minions?” Ian asked.  

The Nadir turned to one of the goons. “Do you understand what I work on?”  

“That’s science stuff, Boss. I ain’t got a clue.”  

“See? It’s so far bloody beyond them whereas I’m sure that you will be able to appreciate it. Unfortunately, I’m gonna have to be brief with ya, because I’ve got company coming for dinner.”  

_Company?_ Ian wondered. The Nadir read his face.  

“An ole’ friend.”  

_Edwards. Edwards must be here_. “So what do you have to show me?” Ian asked.   

“Nothing short of the ultimate weapon of terror. An incredibly powerful, compact warhead with a novel delivery system.”  

“The UE will never let you get close enough to use your delivery system, no matter how good it is. You’ll be shot down.”  

The Nadir smiled. “What if the system eliminates the need for my ship’s presence entirely?”  

_Hyperspace missiles? Wormholes? Quantum teleportation?_ The first could be shot down, and the others were tens if not hundreds of years ahead of humanity’s technological level. “I don’t believe you.”  

“You don’t have to take this on faith. Watch.” The Nadir took a small remote control out of his pocket and pressed a button. In the other half of the room, Kitasha stood up. Ian watched in horror as she walked around in complete thrall to the commands that the Nadir gave to the remote control.  

“What the f**king h**l have you done to her?”  

“I’m afraid you’ll have to stop thinking of it as a person. The babe ya used to know is gone; this is nothing more than a weapon. The brain’s been replaced with a simulacrum chip, capable of autonomous action mimicking human behavior, or receiving direct orders from a remote control unit. Useless and redundant organs have been removed to make room in the chest for a small anti-matter warhead capable of turning a large city to rubble in seconds.”  

“They’ll never fall for these drones. They’ll be stopped.”  

“Come on, Ian, you know that’s wishful thinking, mate. Thousands, millions of people have implants of some kind for medical reasons; and the simulacrum chip is good. The donor brain’s pattern engrams have been impressed into a sub-chip so that the main system can reference them for questions regarding human behavior. You could have dinner with the machine and not know it’s one 'til it kills ya.”  

“You’re a monster,” said Ian through clenched teeth.  

“I’m a Renegade,” replied the Nadir. “And I’m also someone with a dinner engagement. Goodbye, Ian.” Then he turned to the goons. “Take him somewhere without carpeting and kill him.”  

R&D:

Hellion Project: 4 Days.
MacGun Programme: 5 Days.

Avann Outpost

The massive Voinian fleet continued to slowly circle Avann Outpost, their grey hulls reflecting the rays of the nearby Avann sun. Onboard the Abaddon , General Daethul marched forward to the center of the bridge, having just returned from the outpost itself.

Lieutenant Vrona turned, bowing to the general. "Welcome back, General. What are you orders?"

Daethul paused for a moment, then spoke. "Ready the fleet for battle. All ships must be ready to leave within twenty minutes," he commanded.

"Immediately, general," Vrona replied, turning and beginning to bark out orders to the communications officers, who in turn relayed commands to the rest of the fleet. Within twenty minutes, the entire fleet had been readied to depart. Before Daethul even turned to the Abaddon , he had dispatched messages to the fleets in Obron and Vorik.

Already, a small detachment from the Perdition Warfleet in Obron was headed to DSN-9338, lead by Colonel Valdor. In Vorik, Colonel Khazra had split up his force, the Tartarus Warfleet. A third of the fleet, he sent to DSN-9338 to be under the temporary command of Valdor. The rest of the Vorik fleet, Khazra lead personally to Pokoren.

"General, the fleet is ready."

"Engage," Daethul ordered.

------

Daethul lead the Abaddon Warfleet into DSN-9418, and then into Bakka, where no UE ships were present, and where Voinian interceptors continued to patrol. As soon as the three fleets were positioned, using pre-planned timing, they made the final jump into Dogover, where they knew the United Earth grand fleet was located...

------

Dogover

Even if the United Earth expected a force, they could not have anticipated such a massive fleet being sent against them. As soon as the three fleets entered the system from multiple directions, the Generals wasted no time in surrounding the new fleet. As Khazra charged the UE fleet from the west, Valdore and Daethul sprinted to guard escape routes to Bakka and Eltor. First fighters were moved ahead, for they were the fastest, and were quickly joined by waves of Frigates, and finally Cruisers. Staying out of hunter range until the noose was ready, the Voinian fleet soon had the UE surrounded, unable to escape even if they had instantly tried. The ships from Bakka and DSN-9338 had cut it off too rapidly.

As soon as they were ready, the Voinians moved in, charging the UE from all directions. As the waves of hunters were fired against them, the Voinian's gatling turrets began blazing away, taking down about half of the hunters fired against them, if not a little more.

Soon, the Voinians entered rocket range, and began firing rockets into the enemy as the Voinians continued moving forward...

Armageddon Warfleet
Combined fleet of the Tartarus, Perdition, and Abaddon Warfleets
95 Cruisers
440 Frigates
570 Heavy Fighters
430 Interceptors
380 Heavy Fighters (carried ships)

United Earth Grand Armada
52 Carriers
210 Destroyers
340 Fighters

------

25 Cruisers
60 Frigates
100 Heavy Fighters
100 Interceptors

Other Ships

------

OOC: In defense of my actions, I moved in my ships very rapidly, from multiple directions. The escape route to the east was covered by ships from both DSN-9338 and Bakka, which meant that the ships only had half the distance to cover. As well, fighters moved in first, followed rapidly by Frigates. Using quick action and a large number of ships, the Voinians were able to accomplish this rapidly.

This post has been edited by Captain Carnotaur : 19 February 2005 - 04:22 PM