The Albatross

Cresent did not immediately leave for Miranu space. She decided to indulge in one of her favorite activities first. She went shopping. After several hours Cresent boarded her ship and hyperspaced towards Miranu space. Serious thinking had gone into planning her spy role, and she was considering whether or not to use some sort of disguise. In his own way, DZ had convinced her. Now Tirpitz was renamed Lynx (temporarily, she hoped) and had a new paint job with a blue lynx painted on the right side. Nervously, Cresent ran her hand through her blond hair. Briskly she picked up a shopping bag by her foot and strode out of the control room.

------------------
To err is human.
To err and blame it on someone else, is even more human.

Strandless World of Hrinix, Hrinix System

Shek Sunrunner had made the decision to refuel on Hrinix for two reasons. The primary reason was because his tanks were empty. The secondary reason was because he had planned to end up in this system so he could investigate the rumors that the hrineeses that the planet was named after were being poached. He'd heard it mentioned once, while he was working alongside various other mercenaries during the Renegade War, that the Miranu had many different means to acquire Hrineesan Fuzzes. The mercenary, a Strandless who'd gone by the stellar navy callsign of Python, had suggested that, considering that the Miranu were always looking for the best deals, perhaps some of the traders of the Miranu Trading Conglomeration were engaged in poaching the hrineeses, and that this activity was fully sanctioned, although unofficially, by the Miranu government.

So Shek landed at Hrinix Starport and arranged for a room at a local hotel, the Towering Fir. But he didn't go there immediately. Instead, he headed off to find a population directory. There was quite a bit of research he had to do.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

It had taken three days and countless meetings with Strandless bureaucrats, but Shek had finally found the person he needed to talk to. He was the only person on Hrinix that the swordmaster felt he could trust in this matter, not to mention him being the only Strandless that Shek knew who was living on Hrinix.

Parking his hovermobile in front of his contact's home, Shek walked up the path to the front of the house. Despite the pouring rain, he didn't hurry. His cloak would dry quickly enough, and Sarpi graduates were legendary for their patience. He examined the wood of the door, and then took hold of the metal knocker. Three knocks on the door brought a loud rustling and jangling of what Shek took to be the chains and bolts of locks. The Ell'achi swordmaster believed he'd identified eleven separate security devices before the door swung open.

"What do you want?"

"You don't recognize me, do you?"

"Not at the moment. Should I?" The voice was cautious, layered with suspicion.

"Indeed you should, but perhaps time has eroded what memory of me you once had. The last time you saw me, I knew you as Python."

The man was silent in thought for a while. Shek waited patiently. Finally, he looked up into Shek's eyes wonderingly. "Sunrunner."

"Yes. Now, will you let me in, old friend, or must I freeze out here in the cold?"

Python craned his neck outside his door and looked around suspiciously, and then leaned back inside the doorway. "Sure. Come on in."

Shek walked through the doorway and examined the entrance hall as Python quickly shut the door and replaced the eleven locks. Looking up at a tapestry of a giant forest, Shek said, "Why the tight security, my friend? Surely the renegades aren't that much of a problem here."

Python snorted. "I hope that was a joke, Sunrunner. Riomor is only three hyperlinks away." The Strandless led Shek to his kitchen and mixed both of them drinks. "But, you're mostly right. After I finished serving with you in the Renegade War, I came back here and did something similar with the Strandless militia of the area. It was amazing, really. Four of the Strandless worlds banded together along with the majority of the Kayan military and beat back the Captains of Freeport and the Mavs scum, mostly out of clever maneuvering that turned the renegades against each other. Mind, we don't have the firepower here to keep them at bay, but the mop-up was so clean that only the most vile of the pirates bother us anymore. The memory of the Battle of Malago is still fresh enough in their minds for them to want to risk another attack, and their fleets are so weakened that it hardly makes a difference."

"So Voltok's strategy worked here too." Shek poured himself another glass of the concoction. It was a strong spirit, but nothing to a Dur'achi. "I figured someone would put it to good use."

"Yes. The Zachit have been so effective as of late because their commander served with us." Python smiled. "I'm surprised it took you as long as it did to find me. I'm something of a celebrity here. The Cobra General, they call me."

"Well, it was hard to find your callsign. Only the military had that record, and the only way I could get to it was to prove I had clearance."

Python laughed. "I don't even want to know how you got around that one."

"I've still got money."

"I hope you're joking."

"Partially. I didn't bribe them, if that's what you meant, but I certainly still have plenty of credits."

"Very well then." Python refilled his glass and leaned across the counter. "So tell me why you are out here."

"Remember how ten years ago you mentioned to me how you thought the Miranu might be poaching the hrineeses?"

"Yes, of course. I still think that, by the way."

"Right, well, I recently collected a hefty bounty on a man who was involved in smuggling cats for the Miranu."

"Ah. And you figured that if they were trafficking in cats..."

"...why not hrineeses as well," finished Sunrunner. "Right. So, since you were the first to mention it to me, I figure that you'd be the one to come to."

"Hmm. Why do you think I can help you?"

"Because if the information you did tell me was what you were willing to tell me at that time, I'm sure that there's plenty more that you know."

Python looked away for a bit. When he turned back, his face was set in a mask of determination. "Alright Sunrunner. I'll show you what I know. But don't expect to much."

"Don't worry," said Shek. "I'll find the rest of the information myself."

"I figured as much. But tomorrow. Tell me, what have you been doing the past ten years?"

And so the two talked long into the night, both exchanging details about their lives. Finally, before they both turned in for sleep, they exchanged their true names.

"For years now you've only known me by my callsign, Sunrunner. While you know that's my clan name, I feel I should tell you that my name is Shek. So, I am Shek Sunrunner."

"And I am Lelos Somm." He extended his arm and offered his hand. Shek took it, and the two shook hands.

------------------
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
—J. R. R. Tolkien
(url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/search.cgi?action=intro&default;=26")The Search Feature(/url)

"I've got the goods."
"Dead or alive?"
"Dead as usual."
"Alive is becoming more in demand."
Shawn stared at the purposely shadowed figure on his screen. "Why?"
"Fresher, you idiot."
"Of course, but no sane captain wants a cargo of live cats on their ship. Besides, our refrigeration technique is impeccable."
"Well from now on you are going to have to convince someone." It was a threat, not a request.
Shawn swallowed. "So I guess Billy-Jo will be waiting in the bar as usual?"
The shadowy figure laughed. "Idiot. Billy-Jo was captured weeks ago. Talentless fool. But we have a new courier waiting in the bar for you. At the usual table."
Shawn gulped as transmission was cut, but steeling himself, he disembarked his ship and headed to the Pandemonium a small backwater bar not far from the Gribn shipyard. Entering, he turned his gaze to the table where he an Billy-Jo had always met to exchange orders and shipments. Shawn did a double-take when he realized his new partner was female. She was sitting on the dingy stool like it was a throne, and looking so ferocious he was afraid to approach her for a few minutes. Silently chiding himself, he strode toward her. Due to dim light, it was not until he sat down across from her that he realized her short hair was a fiery red.

"Do you like cats?" he asked her nervously.
"Love 'em, but I could never eat a whole one," she replied unconcernedly.
Shawn relaxed. He had the right person. She knew the password.
"I'm Shawn," he began, offering her his hand.
"Rika," she replied, ignoring Shawn's friendly gesture. Slowly he dropped his hand.
"My ship is the Lynx ," she said coldly. "You can load your cargo there."
Shawn nodded, "You're to take Route 4 to Blaga. You know the routes, I assume?"
Rika nodded, and he left to load the cargo.

An hour later Lynx received clearance to leave, and was soon following the correct route to Blaga. Inside 'Rika' was beside herself with glee, having successfully become a minor part of the smuggling ring. She spent a few minutes wondering how Shek and DZ were doing, before going into a back room to sleep for a few hours.

------------------
To err is human.

Grace sat in the Longbow's mess, alone with her thoughts. She shifted uncomfortably on the long metal bench, flipping her now-clean brown hair back from her face.

"Why do you never listen?" She muttered out loud.

----------------------

DZ sat in the cockpit. Bloody infernal woman! Messing about in space, pissing off the Igadzra! This thought gave him an idea.

"Chester," he said, addressing the Lonbow's computer.

"How can I be of assistance?" The metallic voice replied. DZ preferred the metallic sound. That way he knew he was talking to a computer. Besides, Chester wouldn't be Chester without that voice.

"Search any databases you can access for anything about a 'Grace St. James'. And I mean any, legal or not."

"Processing... Searching..."

DZ sat, waiting.

------------------
(url="http://"http://home.earthlink.net/~double_zero/falcon.html")The Falcon Project(/url)
"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it." --Henry David Thoreau

Strandless World of Hrinix, Hrinix System

Shek and Lelos had forgotten about all thoughts of rest after they heard each other's names. At long last, Shek had found the Ravinothi swordmaster who he had trained with for all his years at the Sarpi War Academy. Somm kept laughing at how, when they served together in the Renegade War, he hadn't had the nerve to ask Shek whether his name actually was Sunrunner. Lelos explained that he hadn't wanted to reveal where he had come from.

"Yes, the rest of the galaxy does not know where Dur'ach is." Shek picked up a datapad that Somm had brought out. A detailed document was currently being displayed, one which outlined the basic structure of the Hrineesan Fuzz smuggling ring. Judging by the records of the members of the criminal syndicate, Shek wouldn't have been surprised if they had once run renegade cells. "And I'm grateful they don't know where our home world is."

Somm chuckled darkly. "Indeed. There are those out here that make the Darweshi look like Dess." He pointed at a group highlighted in red. "Those four were once some of the top leaders at Mavs."

Shek scratched his chin. "So you're telling me that we have warship captains running this operation here."

"That's correct."

Sunrunner leaned back in his seat and looked over at Somm. "Two Dur'achi swordmasters ought to be able to handle this, don't you think."

Lelos replied, in a tone of total seriousness, "Indeed."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

A tall figure swathed in black and red robes walked into a local Hrineesan tavern, the Nature's Bounty. Although the name of the establishment suggested a warm, friendly group of patrons, in actuality the people attending to various mugs and glasses of liquor looked more like they would fit in well in such esteemed locales as Freeport or The Rock. The robed figure walked over to one of the tables and seated himself there.

The other man seated at the table looked up from his ale. "What the hell do you want?"

"You're Sej Draman?"

The man looked around, and then looked back up at the robed figure. "Maybe."

"This question has only two possible answers: yes or no." Suddenly a blade was at the man's throat.

"Yeah, yeah," stammered the man at the table, "I be Sej Draman."

"You will follow me," stated the robed figure. When the man hesitated, the robed man hissed in a cold, merciless voice that sounded of steel, "Now."

Outside, the robed figure led the man into an alley, and then removed his hood. Shek Sunrunner turned around and unsheathed his glaive, and in an instant knocked the man down. He put the blade of the weapon at the man's throat, but left enough for him to speak.

"You will answer my questions truthfully. Do not believe that I will not know when you are lying. I will know. Tell me the truth, and you shall live. Do you understand?" The man nodded. Shek smiled. "Good. Now, we shall begin.

"What is the name of the organization you work for?"

"The Blue Hand." The answer brought a snarl from Shek, and Sej trembled.

"What did you do for the Blue Hand?"

"I was assigned to work alongside the two other Blue Hands here, fuzz poachers, and sell the fuzzes to Miranu. I still do that."

"You won't after today." The man trembled more. Shek looked down at him. "No, I don't plan to kill you, Sej Draman. I merely wish for you to spend the rest of your life making yourself a better person, and helping others. I only want to see justice done. Can you understand that?"

The man nodded. He looked back at Shek. "Sir, I never really wanted to do this. I've only been at the job for six weeks now. I've only sold two shipments to some Miranu captains."

Shek nodded. "I know, Draman. I have looked over your record." The swordmaster looked away for a moment. "A record I can have cleared if you assist me in my mission."

"What can I do?"

"You will continue to answer the questions I put to you."

"Okay. What do you want to know?"

"Don't be too eager yet, Draman." Shek emphasized the glaive. "I only want to know the truth."

And so the conversation went on. Shek Sunrunner, Ell'achi swordmaster and Seeker of Justice of the Sha'achi Truth Order, extracted all the useful information about the Blue Hand's operations and agents on Hrinix. And from the miniature subspace tranceiver concealed in Shek's glaive, Lelos Somm was able to route the entire conversation into a microfilm recording device and archive the information.

Shek had the names of the two Blue Hand operatives on Hrinix who were involved in the poaching. While Somm's records showed that other organizations were involved, the connection to the Blue Hand was obvious: Billy-Joe had been running narcotics in Azdgari Space for them, and then had moved on to smuggling cats for the smuggling syndicate. If they were involved here on Hrinix, so far from the Azdgari Empire, it was likely they had operations elsewhere where illegal activity could emerge. That doesn't narrow things down at all, Shek thought grimly. Maybe Voltok will be able to help.

After he turned over the Blue Hand agents to the local militia law enforcement, Shek met back with Lelos Somm.

"So, have you decided?" The Ell'achi swordmaster began packing his own equipment up and stacking the luggage in a corner.

"Yes," replied Somm. "I'll be coming with you."

"Excellent." Shek embraced Lelos. The two left the home and boarded the Teiresias , and soon they were on their way out of Hrinix.

"I guess we'll find out soon enough if Voltok remembers what we did for him."

"And whether or not that's worth calling in a favor for."

Shek eased the velocidial to the hyperspace setting. As the blue lines of interdimensional space travel began to envelope the Voinian Heavy Fighter, he turned to Somm and said, "Oh, it is." And then, even more confidently, "It most definitely is."

------------------
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
—J. R. R. Tolkien
(url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/ubb/search.cgi?action=intro&default;=26")The Search Feature(/url)

Story coming. It'll be a long one, I'll edit it in when I finish it. Carry on, all.

------------------
(url="http://"http://home.earthlink.net/~double_zero/falcon.html")The Falcon Project(/url)

Iothe Prime, Iothe System

" Teiresias , you're cleared to land. Landing Platform 93, docking area 4."

"Acknowledged control."

"Enjoy your stay on Iothe."

Shek and Lelos had spoken long about the subject about what route they should take into Voinian Space, and had decided that Iothe was as good as any place to stop to refuel. Besides, Somm wanted to add some upgrades to the ship, and Shek had agreed with him when he mentioned that there was nowhere close by other than Iothe where that could be done properly. And he wanted to take the fighter in anyway.

Under Shek's piloting, the V.H.F. Teiresias made a smooth landing on Platform 93, extending its three landing claws before setting down. Shek and Somm disembarked, and headed to the nearby outfitter. On their way they passed many of the other travelers frequenting the technological leader of the Independent Human systems. Rich traders haggled over commodities. Pickpockets tried to thieve their way to success. One of these attempted to relieve Lelos of his credits, but the Ravinothi swordmaster was too quick for him. The thief got away, minus two fingers, plus three gashes.

Shek and Lelos stopped in front of a sign, which read:

The Iothe Inventory
All the Inventions You'll Ever Need!
(As Well as Others You Don't!)

Somm looked over at Shek and raised an eyebrow.

"Uh...yes...well, you'll see."

Inside, the Inventory seemed like a warehouse that was loaded with far too much ordnance. Enormous racks held up blaze cannons that were on display, while others flaunted needle missiles. But Shek didn't want any of that. Somm had given him an idea for a thorough and extensive upgrading of the Teiresias , and he wanted a specialized job done for his fighter.

A tall, muscular man met them as they examined a piece of hull plating being sold as armor. He smiled amiably. "Ah, good sirs. I be Drell Sekk, owner of dis outfitteh. What cen I do for yeh?" Thank Sorul, thought Shek. A friendly salesperson. Quite a heavy accent, though.

Somm extended his hand in greeting, and the man took it, and then he shook Shek's hand as well. "Mr. Sekk," began Shek.

"Please, just call me Drell."

Shek grinned. "Alright. Drell, I've come here hoping you'll be able to help me out with a wish of mine. See, my ship, a fighter..."

"Oh, yer deh captain of deh Voinian heavy fighter, eh? I was hoping I'd meet yeh. Whatever yeh want done, I'll do it for yeh. Half price, at that. And yeh'll get more than yeh pay fer, with that deal. The upgrades I do here at the Inventory are betteh than anythin' yeh'll find elsewhere."

Shek wondered what the man would say if he met an Azdgari engineer from Velts.

"So, what cen I do for yeh?"

"I want my ship rewired. Completely. The Voinians aren't the best at wiring their ships up, and the Teiresias could use the extra shielding power."

Drell took out a clipboard and began writing down notes. "Alright, electrical rewiring, shoah, shoah. Yeh'll get a betteh shield ratin' with that, yeh will. Betteh recharge, too."

"Also, I sometimes think the ship's engines could be running more smoothly. Could you handle that?"

"Shoah. Engine tune-ups are normal 'round here. Anything else?" Drell was still writing furiously on the clipboard.

"One more item. The heavy fighter has the mass to carry quite a bit, and its armor is such that I feel it could carry more weapons. Could you handle that?"

"Eh, that'll be tricky." At a look from Shek, he grinned a little. "But yeh, we can do that here. It'll take a bit longer than yeh probably expect, and I'll have to charge yeh extra for that, now that I think of it. Yeh don't mind now, do yeh, if I take back that half-price offer?"

"Just tell me how much it'll come to, Drell."

"It'll probably be 'round six million credits. That'll include a full complement of blaze cannons on the new weapon mounts, though."

Shek handed over the money. Drell's eyes gleamed. "Why, sir, yeh don't have to pay me now, I—"

"Take it as motivation to get the job done faster," suggested Lelos. Shek smiled.

"Thanks Drell. I'll bring the Teiresias around. About what time will it be ready?"

"Eh, by the end of the week, sir."

"Excellent. Thank you, Drell."

"Nah, my pleasure, sir. Thank you."

------------------
—J. R. R. Tolkien

Rika leaned back against her ship and watched the Miranu unload her cargo. A special docking area had been set up, though it appeared to be merely another branch spaceport off the main one, for those who wanted to avoid the crowd. Closing her eyes, Rika pondered once again what she had learned. Billy-Joe was a low ranking operative in the system. She suspected the Miranu hadn't trusted him much, for a reason unknown to her. Aside from that, all she knew was the major routes, that her 'supplier' was named Shawn, and that those in the corperation barely knew each other. An effiecient system in case someone was caught, but it could be very annoying to a certain someone attempting to gather information. Rika sighed, and was surprised out of her daydream by a Miranu attempting to tell her that the unloading was complete. Leaving the ship, she entered the a small building near the shipyard. The only room Rika was allowed in was very badly furnished, with only a few chairs and a table. On the table was a computer, currently being used by a young man. Another was waited a few feet behind him. The door creaked annoyingly when Rika walked in, causing her to be noticed by the waiting man.

Grinning, he called out, "Hey babe!" and was meet by Rika's cold glare. Undaunted, he continued to flirt with her, and with a sudden inspiration Rika flirted back. By the time the other man left, and her 'friend', named Nick, took the computer, Rika knew a bit more about the organiazation. Nick had stupidly tried to impress her with his knowledge of the smuggling ring. Leaving, he winked at her and Rika stepped up to the computer. Entering her name and the password that had been assigned to her when she joined the ring, Rika opened the only file available to her rank, which told her where to go. The Lynx was scheduled to go to Huron this time. Leaving the building, Rika boarded her ship and left, returning to human space.

------------------
To err is human.

Vorik System, Voinian Empire

"Sorul!" shouted Shek as they emerged from hyperspace.

"That's the...oh forget it. I've lost count how many times you've shouted on the way over here," muttered Somm.

"Oh come on Lelos," laughed Shek, "surely you're enjoying how maneuverable this ship is now! Just watch."

"Again?"

Shek laughed again, and suddenly the Teiresias shot forward, accelerating at rate that seemed impossible for the craft. The swordmaster took it through incredible turns and dives, and even fired some of the craft's energy weapons and maneuvered the fighter so that the shots hit the fighter's shields, which recharged almost instantly. Drell hadn't been boasting idly when he said he could do a better job than anyone else in the galaxy. Shek thought that only the best Azdgari engineer could have pulled it off. Now the Teiresias was probably the best-armed fighter in the entire galaxy.

The communications array crackled, and then evened out into the harsh, booming voice of a Voinian. "Unauthorized vessel, this is Commander Jek of Ylynn Command. Identify yourself, state your intentions, and come to a complete stop."

After bringing the ship to a halt, Shek activated the communicator. "This is Shek Sunrunner of the Teiresias. I'm here with Lelos "Python" Somm to see Grand Admiral Voltok."

The Voinian chuckled. "And you think he'll just see you like that, eh?"

"Commander, we served alongside Grand Admiral Voltok in the Renegade War. Both of us retired as generals in the Voinian Military. Do I need to use it get leverage on you, Commander?" Shek's voice was as hard and harsh as steel.

"If you doubt our claim, I suggest you verify it by submitting our voices to identification analysis," added Lelos.

After about ten minutes, the communication array crackled to life again. "Apologies, sirs. I was merely doing my job."

"I understand, Commander," assured Shek, his voice friendly once again. "I'll put in a good word for you with the Grand Admiral."

"Thank you sir."

"Can we dock?"

"Uh, yes, of course. Docking Bay 3, Platform 11."

"Thank you Commander. Where might we find our old commander?"

"He's currently on Svass Station, sirs. Would you like me to request his presence here?"

"That won't be necessary," replied Shek. "Just direct me to any military computer terminal. I'm sure my old accounts are still active."

"Of course sir. There are several in the docking bay."

"Thank you again Commander."

After lowering the fighter down on its three docking claws in the bay, Shek and Lelos disembarked and quickly located a computer terminal. Sunrunner drafted a letter to Voltok and sent it off.

(-Transmission:
(-Encryption: Delta—Voinian one-time cipher-)
(-Recipients: Voinian Grand Admiral Zathe Voltok, Supreme Commander of the Grand Military Arm of Voina-)
(-Source: Gen. Shek Sunrunner (ret.), Commander of Force 10 in the Renegade War, Gen. Lelos "Python" Somm (ret.), Commander of Force 12 in the Renegade War-)
(-Subject: Reunion-)
(-Message:

Sir,

While we have not seen each other for ten years, there is a matter of great importance that we must discuss with you. While it is true that both of us retired from the Voinian military a decade ago, it is likely that we will request reactivation, but not for combat service. We have need of Voinian intelligence. Despite the effectiveness of this encryption, we do not wish to say more in this message. We would, however, like to meet with you as soon as possible.

Yours in Fighting,
General Shek Sunrunner, Force 10
General Lelos Somm, Force 12

-End Message-)
-End Transmission-)

Two hours later, they received a reply. Zathe Voltok would meet them on Svass Station. Shek and Lelos left Ylynn Outpost immediately, and set course for the Svass System.

------------------
—J. R. R. Tolkien

(This message has been edited by Solel (edited 07-11-2003).)

A white, roundish ship exits hyperspace outside the albatross, and docks.

Swarms of moogles enter the bar, and begin ordering rounds of drinks.

------------------
I scream. You scream. We all scream. For pork loin.

What the heck are moogles? Just curious...

------------------

OOC: Whoo! Long time since I've been here.

Albatross Bar, New Atlantic Station, Liat System

Shade woke, stretched, yawned, and finally stood up.
I was asleep? How in all Fate did I fall asleep?
The hobbit didn't seem to be responsible, though that would have been highly possible. In fact, the little khre seemed to be shooting himself in the head.
Aside from the bartender and the hobbit, the place seemed almost deserted. Very odd, considering how crowded it had been before.
Noone to talk to, noone to drink of... time to leave.
Shade's ship, the Eiran , waited sleek and deadly on an external docking port. A few United Earth marines were watching it suspiciously; alien ships scared humans, an understandable xenophobia considering their losses in the ongoing Voinian War.
(OOC: The Eiran looks like a scaled-down version of (url="http://"http://www.gamesworkshop.com/40kuniverse/bfg/hobby/galleries/eldar/images/eldar_eclipse.gif")this(/url), but glossy black where that's blue, blue where that's red, and brass where that's black. The command bubble thing on that is instead an airlock. Eldar ships are just beautiful.)
The ship-mind woke as Shade entered the airlock, twisted expertly in the interface between ship and station gravities, and dropped down into the axial passage, boots clanging on the metal of the deck.
"Eiran online." the ship-mind said, synthesised voice echoing through the ship. That voice was always a little scary; it was a copy of Shade's own.
"Should I begin the disengagement sequence, Kian ?" Eiran continued.
"Do that." Shade replied, settling into the command seat. All Chuanyé ships followed this design, though they ranged in size from the Eiran's arada-class to powerful cruisers.
Eiran rapidly communicated with the station's docking computers, organising departure. "We are ready to disengage, Kian . Should I begin main drive warm-up?"
" Tsa, tsa." Yes in Chuanyana. Eiran binged acknowledgement, and the big fusion reactors deep in the ship's gut began to hum.
Smiling, Shade took the controls. Before and after losing mortality, Shade had loved piloting fighter craft, and that hadn't changed.
Shade fired the primary drives, thrusting the Eiran away from New Atlantic Station.
Destination ... I'll decide that when I get there.

(edit)Fixed italics...cursed UBB code!(/edit)

------------------
"As you are now, I once was.
As I am now, so shall you be.
So come, prepare to follow me."
- Unknown Epitaph

(This message has been edited by Shade (edited 07-13-2003).)

DZ and Grace have suddenly disappeared off the face of the known galaxy.

Actually I'm going to be busy til probablt august, so it'll be awhile 'til I post again. Carry on without me.

------------------

Svass Station

"Fighter Teiresias , you are cleared to dock. We are deactivating the energy shield arrays."

"Thank you Control."

Shek guided the Voinian heavy fighter into the designated docking bay and lowered the ship down onto its three landing claws. After powering down the engines and shutting down the ship, he and Lelos disembarked and met twelve armored Voinian soldiers at the bottom of the boarding ramp. One of them had fewer decorations than the others; he was the ranking officer.

"I am Captain Eksh. The Admiral is waiting for you." He led them out of the austere setting of the docking bay, the soldiers falling into escort formation around the two Dur'achi generals. They passed through an extremely narrow hallway guarded by automated defense systems, and Eksh keyed open a door made of one meter thick bronev plating. After passing through the main security lock, the Captain led them down several different winding passages and through several other security locks. Finally, after Shek had counted eleven different bronev doors, they stopped at a door in the middle of one of the corridors. Eksh keyed the door open, and motioned for the two to enter. By the time Shek and Lelos had entered the conference room, the squad was gone.

The defining feature of the room was an enormous circular table surrounded by chairs. One of those chairs was occupied, and its owner was facing them.

Shek and Lelos walked forward and bowed, coming to a crisp salute as they rose. "Grand Admiral."

Zathe Voltok stood. Tall even by Voinian standards, he towered a full nine feet, his well-developed muscles visibly rippling beneath the folds of his undecorated uniform. He returned the salute. "At ease, Generals." Gesturing at the seats across from his, he added, "Please, take your seats."

After the two Dur'achi swordmasters were comfortable, the Grand Admiral went on. "So, tell me why you are here."

Shek looked at Lelos, and the Ravinothi nodded, indicating that Sunrunner should explain the situation. Lelos would correct him if he left anything out.

"Sir, for ten years I've been travelling the galaxy looking for my brother's murderer. I recently found him and took my revenge. But I learned something from him. The smuggling organization known as the Blue Hand has expanded halfway across the known galaxy. They wouldn't be able to do that unless they had a fleet of starships at their disposal."

"You think they might come to rival the renegades?"

"I'm not sure what they're doing. They must have had connections with various governments to get as far as they have, otherwise they would have been shut down years ago."

Voltok was silent for some time. "Where is the closest Blue Hand presence that you know about?"

"Hatuli. At least, I think it must be there. I found my brother's killer there."

"Hatuli, eh? That's one of the renegade infested Human systems, yes?"

"Aye, it is."

"If that's so, then it might be worth checking on this more. I assume that's why you came to me?"

"Yes," spoke up Somm. "We'd hoped our old service record would allow us access to the Intelligence networks, if they're still in operation."

Zathe thought for a moment. "Yes, that can be arranged. But you don't want to be reactivated, right?"

"It would be preferable if we were invisible."

"I can arrange for that. Get some rest for now. I'll speak more of this with you later. I've got to call some of my people to set this up."

"Thank you Admiral."

"And cut the formality. We served together in the Renegade War, Lelos. Call me Zathe, both of you. That's an order."

"It's good to see you again, Zathe."

"Indeed it is Shek. Now, I'll see you tomorrow. Dismissed."

------------------
—J. R. R. Tolkien

Hot damn, this bar has turned into a freakin' webstory.

Ah well, just checking in to see what was going on. 😉

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.evula.org/theasylum/")the asylum(/url)

OOC: Indeed it has. This is the second such instance of bar-to-webstory transmutation that I know of.

------------------
"As you are now, I once was.
As I am now, so shall you be.
So come, prepare to follow me."
- Unknown Epitaph

OOC: Newcomers allowed?

A shuttle, that had a fair share of bangs and scrapes docked at the starport. A tall mand in dark clothing stepped out into the blinding light that was outside. He wore a long flowing cloak, and he dragged a long thin sword behind him.
The man swept into the bar and looked around. He didnt see any signs that said otherwise, so he light up a cigarette and took to a corner. After leaving a bag, his sword and his cigarette by his seat, he strode over to the bar.
The bartender smiled heartily and asked, "what'll it be friend."
The man winced and reached into his pocked. He produced some coins and showed them to the man behind the bar.
"Do you accept these?"
The bartender stared down at the platnum coins and looked at the man confusedly.
"I'm sorry sir, I dont believe i've ever seen that currency before."
"I'm not suprised," said the cloaked man quietly pocketing the coins, "I'm not from around here."
"You know what, this ones on the house."
The bartender filled a glasswith a rich brown substance, after his first sip, the cloaked man vuagely remembered the taste.
"What is this called?"
The bartender looked shocked at the cloaked man, "you aint never had Saillian Brandy?!"
"Hm?" The man lifted his head, revealing a pair of amber eyes. This was the first time the bartender had seen the mans face fully and he stopped himself in the middle of his rant.
"whats your name son?" The bartender asked peering into the mans eyes.
"My name?" the man winced and grabbed his left arm. Anyone who was still in the bar could see a small bit of blood trickle down his left sleeve.
"My name is..."
The bartender leaned forward in anticipation, but to his surprise the man collapsed.
As he fell his left sleve rolled up revealing a series of long black cracks running up his arm.
"Someone get this man to a med bay!"

OOC: I usually dont enter a bar untill ive read the whole thing, but im taking a chance and jumping in this one blind. if I've made any mistakes please correct me and i will edit. I hope theres interaction between chars in this bar.

------------------
"WE ARE THE POPES OF THE PYROS!!" "WE ARE THE CRUSADERS OF CAPELLA!!" "THE FRIARS OF FIRE!!"
"THE BAPTISTS OF BORAL 1!!!!" "THE CATHOLIC KILLERS OF NEW CALCUTTA!!!!!!"
"WE ARE THE GOOD!! no.. no... THE BAD!!! yeah.. thats it.. THE BAD CATHOLICS!!!"

OOC: way to double post me.. god... good job... lets get an applaud please.. everyone come on... there we go... feeling better now? yeah? WELL DONT YOU MORON!!! My browsers busted and i cant get to my native board.. for now ill post here..

(This message has been edited by Valence (edited 07-16-2003).)

(This message has been edited by Valence (edited 07-16-2003).)

Hello, Valence. I've read Bright Star Station on the occasion. Was that Page?

This bar started out to be a nonsense nuthouse, but only recently converted to the more serious type. Only the last few pages are important if you want background information, which might be good since we are in the middle of something.

Edit: If you're by 'native board', you mean the Nova board, I don't think it was your browser. I can't get there either. Anyone else have this problem?
------------------
To err is human.

(This message has been edited by Cresent (edited 07-17-2003).)

OOC: So I'm not the only one eh?
Yes that was Page, but in a different universe.. He doesnt know how he got here, nor does he know anything about this universe. This is after BSS for him.

------------------
"WE ARE THE POPES OF THE PYROS!!" "WE ARE THE CRUSADERS OF CAPELLA!!" "THE FRIARS OF FIRE!!"
"THE BAPTISTS OF BORAL 1!!!!" "THE CATHOLIC KILLERS OF NEW CALCUTTA!!!!!!"
"WE ARE THE GOOD!! no.. no... THE BAD!!! yeah.. thats it.. THE BAD CATHOLICS!!!"