Question About Aliens

Though I might check here first...

I was wondering about the Aliens and thought I would incorporate them into my plug-in, then I came to a standstill on this question. Do they have a name or are they just referred to as 'Aliens'.

They are only ever referred to as the "Aliens".

They're very uncommunicative, so essentially nothing is known about them – the mystery is part of their appeal, really. But back in the days when lots of people were working on this scenario, there seemed to be a general consensus that their name ought to begin with a V.

Okay thank you. Any reason why the letter 'V'?

@it-000, on Jan 3 2009, 05:53 PM, said in Question About Aliens:

Okay thank you. Any reason why the letter 'V'?

Haven’t a clue, but every name I’ve ever seen given them – even sometimes to entire plug-ins concerning them – began with V.

Okay, I've fiddled around a little bit and came up with the name Vian'for. Thanks for the help.

Nice way to keep an old tradition alive. 🙂

Perhaps that lasted all the way to the creation of the Voinians? 🙂

Did EVO come after? I always thought it was first...

@duke_juker, on Jan 5 2009, 02:12 PM, said in Question About Aliens:

?
look at the games, EVC is totally ghetto by comparison (that's not to say it isn't awesome, but hey, that was what could be done in those days).

@geek, on Jan 4 2009, 10:17 PM, said in Question About Aliens:

Perhaps that lasted all the way to the creation of the Voinians? 🙂

Yes indeed, and I think that contributed to the misconception that EV Override was a prequel to the original game rather than a new story.

@duke_juker, on Jan 5 2009, 01:12 AM, said in Question About Aliens:

Escape Velocity 1996, EV Override 1998, and EV Nova 2002. If Override had come first, why would it have a subtitle while Escape Velocity did not?

I don't know. I could have looked it up, but I'm too lazy to. Anyways, thanks for the clarification.

May I suggest Vian'pfhor?

May I suggest Vian'pfhor?

Great suggestion, looks more alien. However, I do have an excuse for the name's simplicity. The Vian'for speak through there nose as well as there mouth, so translators need to cover both parts. They have a more complicated language, being able to put more emotion into words. The Vian'for can also make a wider range of pitches, like a dog and a dog whistle, the name itself might be twice as long or even over a hundred letters. So the translator needs to change pitches, or ditch parts of the word completely. Shortening Vian'for words that have no human equivalent is common, Vian'for has no equivalent in the language, just like we would call ourselves 'humans' they would to.