Help!

Hi,
Okay, I just installed EV, gave it an insane amount of memory, and started it up. It starts and loads just fine, but when I try to play, the game is insanly jumpy. I have a G5 iMac, and I think 9.2.2 or something like that installed.

Any suggestions?

I'm a teacher, and on break now, and I have the biggest jonesing to play Pale and the Empire plugs!!!

Thanks,
Marcos

Don't use Classic Mode. It's insanely slow in recent versions of OSX. If you can, start up in OS9 rather than running Classic mode in OSX (use the Startup Disk preference pane). If you can't do this on a G5 (I'm pretty sure you can only do it on a G4 or older), either find an older mac that can, get an older version of OSX that can run Classic mode faster, or SpacePort the plug to EVN and run it under the EVC port.

:wub: I have an OSX, and I don't think it uses classic mode, and it runs just fine. :wub:

Is it an emulation? I wasn't sure. That sucks. I'm very sure how to run plugs with the EVC port. Do you convert it and pop it into the plug-in folder?
Oh and I'm running 10.4.8.

This post has been edited by Pundits : 19 December 2006 - 07:01 PM

@rossy, on Dec 19 2006, 06:58 PM, said in Help!:

:wub: I have an OSX, and I don't think it uses classic mode, and it runs just fine. :wub:

You're probably running 10.2 or something older. After 10.3, there was a change in the graphics drivers or something that killed EV.

@pundits, on Dec 19 2006, 07:00 PM, said in Help!:

Is it an emulation? I wasn't sure. That sucks. I'm very sure how to run plugs with the EVC port. Do you convert it and pop it into the plug-in folder?
Oh and I'm running 10.4.8.

You should be able to convert some of the plugs to EVN to play EVC. Someone else will have to fill you in on exactly how to do this though.

Anyone know how to convert and play a EV TC? I converted Empire 2 with SpacePort, changed the scanmasks and put it into the plugin folder. No dice.

Oh, and thanks for the replies.

Marcos

Nothing whatsoever at all? There's an icompatibility with ship speeds and govt classes but since it's a TC that shouldn't matter.

Less nothing, and more wonkiness. There are no govt id's on the ships, the ships have the wrong pics, the outfitters is alsorts of wrong. Does it go into the plug-in folder or in with the Nova Files?

Marcos

Hmm...

Send that to Tim Isles.

Good news- he is working on an EVN TC.

Is he still. I go to his site every now and then, just to see if theres any news. It hasn't been updated in a bit so I wasn't sure if he was still working on Heart and Sol. I can't wait. Any word on when it will get released?

Marcos

Memorize this: Things get released when they get released. 🙂

@pundits, on Dec 19 2006, 12:42 PM, said in Help!:

Hi,
Okay, I just installed EV, gave it an insane amount of memory, and started it up. It starts and loads just fine, but when I try to play, the game is insanly jumpy. I have a G5 iMac, and I think 9.2.2 or something like that installed.

Any suggestions?

Hi, and welcome. Invest in an older Mac. Seriously. I have a G4 dual, but play EV on my old 7600, it's a total slug, but at least I can play all the delicious plugins for EV. As a matter of fact, I just finished playing Pale! Sideabr: does anyone know who the author of Pale is? I couldn't find any credit info on it (bleh, unless it was at the very beginning when I first installed it).

@rossy, on Dec 19 2006, 03:58 PM, said in Help!:

It would have saved me time if you would have put this little bit of info in your plugin topic. <_<

@callide, on Dec 21 2006, 07:55 PM, said in Help!:

It would have saved me time if you would have put this little bit of info in your plugin topic. <_<

Hm, he said in the Mission Strings topic that he was on Windows :huh:

Yeah, I read that AFTER I posted in this topic. I'm not going to read every topic just in case. 🙂

@callide, on Dec 21 2006, 01:55 AM, said in Help!:

Memorize this: Things get released when they get released. 🙂

Hi, and welcome. Invest in an older Mac. Seriously. I have a G4 dual, but play EV on my old 7600, it's a total slug, but at least I can play all the delicious plugins for EV. As a matter of fact, I just finished playing Pale! Sideabr: does anyone know who the author of Pale is? I couldn't find any credit info on it (bleh, unless it was at the very beginning when I first installed it).

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I really appreciate that. Thank you.

This post has been edited by Pundits : 21 December 2006 - 04:14 PM

okay, to clear this up, I have an OSX with EV on it, and I have a windows xp that I do pretty much all of my internet stuff. There, hopefully that'll help