IBM games like evo?

Alan wrote:
**Since noone else has mentioned Elite. The only reason that I started playing EV and then EVO was because a Wintel using friend (whose judgement was otherwise impeccable) always raved about a game called Elite. When I saw EV/EVO described in a magazine as 'Elite-like' I knew I'd hit paydirt. Actually, subsequent conversations have convinced me that the Mac version is superior, when I mentioned plug-ins he drooled, but Elite has got to be knocking around somewhere and by all accounts is pretty good.

------------------

Sorry people, don't know where the last message came from. I tried out Internet Explorer and used that to edit the one before, perhaps that's it?

------------------

(This message has been edited by Alan (edited 03-18-2000).)

Eliete and its descendants (FE and FFE) are allmost exactly like EV, but in 3D. Only downsides are
a. its buggy
b. you mostly sit around with speed up while your ship moves from its hyper jump down point to a planet
c. combat involves locking a missile on someone and hitting the launch key. Oh yeah, you can use lasers, but who uses a beam of superheated light when you can deliver nuclear death from miles away? 🙂

------------------

Honj P wrote:
Die evil IBM man

I'm not evil!!! Oh wait, yes I am, but thats another story. As for IBM and windows I like windows and Macintosh both equally. The macintosh is much easier to program on and has GREAT stability compared to windows (except windows 2000 the only good windows product they have came out with) but the windows macienes are fun to tinker with (very complex) as in unless you spend alot of time you will never figure out how to do it. Also most of my peers and people I must trade information with use a windows machine and I must know how to get around it. I also like linux but havent had much of a chance to try use it (if I ever get a new comp I'll make a double boot system, which is you can use either windows or linux ect. on the same machine). So if i've offended you loyal macintosh users well um im sorry and too bad cause their all good in certain ways.

------------------
Raptor
~If you seek to gather your thoughts ask yourself: 'How do you gather chaos...'

P.S. I'm getting a new G4, Yahoo!!!

I'm getting all hot and bothered about a game called Parsec that has the potential to become a free 3D online version of EV/O.

Have a look at (url="http://"http://www.parsec.org")www.parsec.org(/url).

There's a nice movie of it in the Jan 2000 MacFormat cover disk.

It's not yet out (nearly there, by all appearances), and is currently slated to be space combat, deathmatch style. There are prospects for trading and so forth later on.

Oh, and the target platforms are Win32, MacOS and Linux with SIMULTANEOUS RELEASES.

Ok, I don't have a mac, and I don't intend to buy one. I have always preferred PCs over Macs, because I have always had a PC and the prospect of being without all the crashes, bluescreen errors and random reboots that my computer indulges in makes me feel ill. Most of you will have Macs and I know that you don't like PCs...both designs have their stongpoints.
EV-like games for the PC...hmmm...have you tried "HardWar" by Gremlin? It is a trading game based on Titan. It is 3D but the graphics aren't brilliant (the game is a couple of years old) but still great fun to play. Elite has been mentioned - that is also good but can get a bit monotonous and dull at times. The sequels are very buggy and are not really worth bothering with. X - Beyond the Frontier is quite a good one, so I'm told (I've never played it myself). Freespace2 is excellent, but it isn't really like EV...it is basically just a space combat sim. "No-one makes awesome games for Wintel"...have you played Half-Life, Age of Empires II or The Sims? Thought not...
However, I still want to be able to play Escape Velocity...are there any good emulators that run it reasonably well? And where can I get them from? I don't really want to spend lots of money on a mac, good though Escape Velocity is, I'd rather not spend that much money on it.
Cheers,
Jam - jpjhall@yahoo.co