EVO for Windows?

I'm aware that, when this game was released (a year or two ago?), Ambrosia stated that the game would only be ran on the Macintosh.

My question is: Why?

The PC Gaming market is larger, and would obviously profit Abrosia, especially with a excellent game like this. The porting of the code wouldn't hurt Ambrosia too badly, and with magazines like PC Gamer, a good review would greatly boost it's profits. I for one, would buy the game, if it was ported to Windows.

Please, any employees from the upper-levels of Ambrosia, consider it. A Windows game makes more money than a Macintosh one does.

------------------

Mos wrote:
**I'm aware that, when this game was released (a year or two ago?), Ambrosia stated that the game would only be ran on the Macintosh.

The PC Gaming market is larger, and would obviously profit Abrosia, especially with a excellent game like this. The porting of the code wouldn't hurt Ambrosia too badly, and with magazines like PC Gamer, a good review would greatly boost it's profits. I for one, would buy the game, if it was ported to Windows.

Please, any employees from the upper-levels of Ambrosia, consider it. A Windows game makes more money than a Macintosh one does.

My first suggestion is to not dis the Mac gaming market. Anyways, EV/O was no large project, and a direct code port is not possible. There is a lack of resource forks on Windows computers, so the code would need to be re-written and Windows native. This would also cause a new system of plug-ins to be required, being much different from the current resource system.

------------------
Micah L , (url="http://"mailto:mjlanier@home.com")mailto:mjlanier@home.com(/url)mjlanier@home.com

I know!

Lets all bend over to Bill Gates and let the Windows market take over because its larger.
mmmm boy..... not that programming on Mac OS is better and easier for some folk..

With tons of people like you begging for a windows version, I am sure they have considered it in the past...

Also, they wouldn't make much money, EVO is a shareware and Windows is known for not having its users pay for shareware...

------------------
Unix for business
Linux for development
BeOS for media
Mac OS for productivity
Windows for solitaire

EV/O for Winblows? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! You must be kidding. To make it work on Pee-Cees, you'd practically have to rewrite the game. Anyway, Ambrosia Software is a Mac-only company, isn't it? Just as mikee J wrote, Windows excuse me, Winblows is for solitaire.

Let me give you an intelligent answer. I personally think that Macintosh computers and Windows computers are better than each other in other ways. With the G4 out, Windows and Mac are pretty much equally balanced. Macs are better in some areas than Windows, and Windows is better than Mac in some areas.
However, I do agree that one thing remains the same, my friend.

EVO BELONGS ON THE MAC!

Urm... how is windows better.. in that it directly rip-offed every feature from Mac OS or Nextstep... but differed in that they... suck?

The only reason I can see how windows is "better" is that it has more software and a few bits more of hardware....

------------------
Unix for business
Linux for development
BeOS for media
Mac OS for productivity
Windows for solitaire

Firstly, you'd have to write the damn plugs in C/C++ due to the fact that only the MacOS has resource forks! So you'd have to buy them, Wyndoze isn't known for freeware things, or shareware for that matter.

Secondly, the 'state-of-the-art' PC, 800 MHz I think, would run EV/O roughly as fast as on half of a IIci.

Thirdly, what'll you want next? Resource forks? G4s being able to run Wyndoze? A prettier user interface? It ain't gonna happen, Intel and Microsoft are too stupid and lazy, I mean, Microsoft gives a ****ty OS after two years of not updating it!

Fourthly, I'm sorry I live 70 mi. from an Intel building, I can feel the evil pulsating through me.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.blackrockmac.com/ajm/sig.html")~AM~(/url)

Mos: Let me give you a nice little tip. Buy a Mac before its too late! We all know some of us get cursed with those in-family marxist customs of staying to the inferior platform, but that doesn't mean you have to live with the curse!

You see Mos, all windows is is a MacOS clone. Waaay back in 1984 when Apple stole the GUI from Xerox, our lifeless friends at Microsoft stole it from apple. Its almost obvious they tried to make it different - a menu bar on the bottem, icons on the left instead of right, inverse mouse cursor colors...you get the idea.

Windows is a poor MacOS clone, simply because its much harder to use, you can do less with it, it has less development cababilities, and gosh darnit, people hate it. Mos, face it, you've been assimilated by those windoze box using facist bastards who want to do nothing but control your life and make it free of fun. Sure, they can say "we have more software." Yeah, whatever, but who needs 100 crappy attempts at a clone of Photoshop anyway? The only place where windoze is strong is the games market, but most of the good, best-selling games eventually get published for the mac anyway. Sorry If I have offended you in anyway.

Oh, if you are on a budget and can't buy a Mac, there are many cheap software emulation solutions about, you might look into some of them.

-Dave

------------------
--
"Do or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Urm... you cant "steal" a GUI. You cant steal technology just by looking at it.

Firstly, Apple was working on a GUI long before Jobs even stepped in the Xerox building. Xerox had no use for the technology because it was expensive and required alot of RAM.

Also, this was done PRIOR to 84'. Lisa ring a bell? The macintosh was no more than the Lisa II. Also note that Lisa which was done in the early 80's was alot better than Windows.. which was done in 1983... yea thats right... WINDOWS CAME BEFORE THE MACINTOSH! gasp. But all it was was a ugly B/W Windows explorer (if you use windows you know what I am talking about...) just DOS with a mouse basically...

Anywho, Xerox had invested a large pile of money in Apple, so what better way to help it than to GIVE it to them. This "Apple stole the GUI and microsoft stole it from them" is BS from Microsofties who want to justify the rip-off. Xerox gave it to them, then in 83' (before the release of the Macintosh) Apple send programmers to MS to help them develop software for the GUI.... mysteriously MS began working on a GUI not long after.... hmmmmmmmmmmm

BTW: Lisa kicked Windows 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0's butt big time

------------------
Unix for business
Linux for development
BeOS for media
Mac OS for productivity
Windows for solitaire

Heh, you're obviously alot more knowledgable on the subject...Well, I am sorry for all the infactual information I spewed about Apple (except for the good things). My knowledge came from our favorite little TNT Special: Pirates of Silicon Valley 😉

------------------
--
"Do or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Mos wrote:
**I'm aware that, when this game was released (a year or two ago?), Ambrosia stated that the game would only be ran on the Macintosh.

EVO is Mac only. Not because of profits, because you do have a point. It's Ambrosia's dedication to the Macintosh platform. Ambrosia will never make a product for the PC as long as Hector & Co. are managing it. As I've said before, it shows how good a game EV/O is if PC users are begging for it (no offense), and it gives something for Mac gamers to be proud of. Besides, iMac's aren't all that expensive, and Windows is a poor imitation of the Mac OS. Get a Mac.

------------------
" The Zaphod Beeblebrox?"

"No, just a Zaphod Beeblebrox; didn't you hear I come in six-packs?"
-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Yeah, for once PC users have to dream of being able to play a game that will NEVER be out for thier OS. (Heh opened a can 'o worms with that one didn't ya kid?)

------------------
Can I have a monkey mommy?...please!?!???

MOS, I sympathize with your situation (even though I do think you made a mistake buying a Sindows machine). But for the people who have the problem, I do think it would be nice to have some sort of emulator. Sure, Apple has triumphed with the totally cool, user-friendly, most powerful and best selling computers of all time (hey... I've got five I use around here!), but I even have people that are working on EVO plugs and they can't even run it either because they have the other brand. It really would be nice, but realisticly, I think you'd do better off with an apple. Trust me 😉

Mikee j: Windows was hired by IBM to produce a system for IBM's new personal computer. Windows took their "friend's" system (named cos) and and renamed it DOS (the only diffence was the a:/ was redone to be c:/ (or however that first line was for loading programs)). Later (after apple came out with their GUI) windows copied. Lisa was a failure, but Jobs creatively invented a completely different compact computer named "Macintosh".

Today, all other non-apple computers have had to raise their prices due to many variables, one of which was due to lack of competetors (IBM and others dropped out of the business). So, now you can the lowest priced computer (an apple), with more power than the fastest non-apple (an apple computer), and with the easiest interface out their (and may I suggest the lime iMac... it's a real treat!). 🙂

By the way. You can get emulators for apples, but not windows. (sorry, that's the way the world spins round).

Sincerely,
Zeta

------------------
Sleep?! Oh yah... I did that last week.

Mos wrote:

mos, I can sort of understand what you're feeling. I've been waiting for years for X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter to come out for Mac, but it hasn't. You've been waiting for a couple years for EVO to come out for Windoze. It won't. I've sent emails to LucasArts asking why they have ignored the Mac community for the last five years (excluding Podracer which came out for EVERYTHING). I've never gotten a reply. You asked why Ambrosia makes no Mac games. Weve given you several reasons:

1. Ambrosia is a Mac-devoted company. Don't say Winblows has none like it.
2. Micro$oft made Windows without resource forks. EV/EVO works using resource forks. It won't work without a complete rewrite.
3. Money is not an issue here.
4. Micro$oft dosen't like shareware. Ambrosia makes most of it's money from shareware fees.

Thanks, I'm out.

------------------
=/= Jim Stephens =/=
(url="http://"mailto:stryker@hotline.com")mailto:stryker@hotline.com(/url)stryker@hotline.com

Windows was hired by IBM to produce a system for IBM's new personal computer. Windows took their "friend's" system (named cos) and and renamed it DOS (the only diffence was the a:/ was redone to be c:/ (or however that first line was for loading programs)). Later (after apple came out with their GUI) windows copied. Lisa was a failure, but Jobs creatively invented a completely different compact computer named "Macintosh".

Are you afraid to say Microsoft? Microsoft came to IBM looking to design software for their computers, instead they found out IBM was going to release Personal computers... but they needed something other than UNIX or mainframe OSs, Gates goes -oh we got something for that- and they bought and renamed a bought OS "DOS". And promised to write software for it. JOBS DID NOT INVENT THE MACINTOSH! HE DID NOT INVENT THE iMAC EITHER! He takes credit for both, but the pri** never invented either, he had a team develop both... he publicly embarrased some members of the team (in 83... not 97) and was an all around di*k... but he took credit for it... since he was the "leader".

Today, all other non-apple computers have had to raise their prices due to many variables, one of which was due to lack of competetors (IBM and others dropped out of the business). So, now you can the lowest priced computer (an apple), with more power than the fastest non-apple (an apple computer), and with the easiest interface out their (and may I suggest the lime iMac... it's a real treat!).:)

By the way. You can get emulators for apples, but not windows. (sorry, that's the way the world spins round).**

A) I can buy a 800 MHz PC for $1000
🆒 IBM still makes personal computers
C) There are emulators for Mac OS, Linux, Windows and many others that emulate Mac OS, Linux, Windows and many others.

D) Please use Macintosh if you are talking about Mac OS, "Apples" refers to Apples, Apple )(s, and the dreaded Apple ///

------------------
Unix for business
Linux for development
BeOS for media
Mac OS for productivity
Windows for solitaire

(This message has been edited by mikee J (edited 03-01-2000).)

Jim Stephens wrote:
**I've sent emails to LucasArts asking why they have ignored the Mac community for the last five years (excluding Podracer which came out for EVERYTHING).

The reason is because Macroslop has been bribing other companies (Mac loving companies if you will) to release for Wyndoze first.

------------------

Well, let us see now. Didn't MS invest in Apple. Oh, my, it did!! And isn't MS being screwed by the gov't. Yes it is. And if you have ever looked at OS X, you'd see that it can run windows inside of it!!! An 800mhz PC is not worth a #$&%. A G4 can out perform any PC on the market, and if you slap virtual PC on it, bam, instant super PC! So take your outdated OS, and throw it to the wind, because Apple is doing awefully well, and MS is doing awefully bad. Oh, and one more thing, Gates didn't develop anything either, whatch an interview of him, he is a business man, not a programmer. Our iCEO is much more in touch with his company than whoever is killing MS today. Macs rule, and PCs drool.

------------------
-IondriveX

IondriveX wrote:
(B Our iCEO is much more in touch with his company than whoever is killing MS today.(/B)

Actually, Steve stepped down to CEO, so he's actually earning more than $1 a year.

------------------

Urmm Steve is now the CEO of Apple

OS X cannot run Windows inside it.

Right now, there is no emulation software for Windows on OS X... meaning to run Windows on OS X you have to boot OS X, then BOOT OS 9 inside OS X then open Virtual PC then boot windows....

A G4 is not faster than a G3 unless the apps its running are optomized.... called altivec I believe. Since OS 9 is based on a 32 bit system, that means it runs every app at 32 bits, not 128... only a few apps can utilize that 128 bits. However, the RISC instruction set is "smaller" than CISC.. meaning a RISC does not need to go as fast as a CISC... like a short runner compared to a tall one.

Please, where are you stats that a $3000 G4 can outperform a $1000 800 MHz PC? Just because you say so... don't make it true 😉

Jobs is a total dic*, you would not want to meet him... much less work for him. Do you know how much he spent on the NeXT logo? $100,000.
He cant be that intelligent.... As for "intouch" you must mean Pixar....

Also, not every PC uses Windows. There are many OSs that can work on PCs just fine thank you ;).
Next time try to use an arguement other than "Macs rule PCs drool". How many apps does Jobs write... oh wait.. none. Go dont bash Gates for not being a full time programmer.

------------------
Unix for business
Linux for development
BeOS for media
Mac OS for productivity
Windows for solitaire

(This message has been edited by mikee J (edited 03-01-2000).)

I think the real arguement here is Microsoft, not PCs. I don't dislike PCs nearly as much as windows. Besides, a PC running a UNIX server isn't that bad :). What's ASW's server name again, Janus (The double-faced god of gates and doors)? That is a UNIX server on a PC right (from what I can remember)?

------------------
Micah L , (url="http://"mailto:mjlanier@home.com")mailto:mjlanier@home.com(/url)mjlanier@home.com