Karma county

I don't want to appear greedy and I know I haven't been on the board for ages but, why is my karma just clean? When I was on regularly I think I gave some help to newbies and the like. What's a guy gotta do? Just curious.

------------------

to get karma you have to help out a lot more than a couple questions. I myself have given loads of help after my 1st point and i'm sure no mod has even bothered to look at raising my karma.

To get karma you have to help out people with problems, answer questions. You have to be nice and respectful. You have to be a nice person and you'll get karma.
Also. I reccomend being on the boards more if you want to get karma, 11 posts certinally is not enough to gain half a point. Just stay on the boards help when possible and you'll be on your way

------------------
You have been overriden by Overrider. Prepare to die evil scum! -Me
rookie's smiles:(url="http://"http://www.ezboard.com/help/help_howto_useemoticons.html")Cool Smiles(/url)
(url="http://"http://community.theunderdogs.org/smiley/gallery.htm")Cooler Smiles(/url)
AIM: Ferazel17

I've gotten 3 karma points for my help around on the Ferazel Boards but I got those points for topics I didn't really expect to get them on. Rather, the ones for which I was expecting karma, were the ones that were overlooked. Mods don't give away karma very often so it helps to have been around, like Overrider said, for a while before getting grumpy. Also, karma only has a 10 point range. After -10 you are banned and after +10 the UBB system tries to make you a moderator (I believe).

------------------
Dr. Tall says: Taller is Better

Originally posted by Dr Tall: **
After -10 you are banned and after +10 the UBB system tries to make you a moderator (I believe).

Nothing happens at +10. The maximum is 15, and Andrew has hinted of an award awaiting the first person to get there.

(This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 08-09-2001).)

OK I guess that was just a rumor. I saw one guy with +12. I think some other board's moderators are more karma-fully-delicious than our moderators 😉

------------------

Originally posted by Dr Tall:
**OK I guess that was just a rumor. I saw one guy with +12. I think some other board's moderators are more karma-fully-delicious than our moderators;)

I guess if you whine enough you'll get more karma. NOT! Please. Whining turns me right off.

I cannot speak for other moderators, but I don't give karma every time a person helps someone. I give karma when I notice someone consistently giving help and if they manage to go to a a bit of trouble to give that help. In other words, is this person really trying to help or are they just talking to hear themselves talk? And yes, the way you treat the people you're trying to help is definitely factored in. If you are sarcastic or demeaning, I don't think that really deserves any accolades.

So no..I don't usually give karma here for one single post, but instead for a consistent attitude of being willing to help. That's not to say that I haven't given karma for one post..but it would have to be rather spectacular. Creativeness is something that I reward as well.

So..I do try and watch for opportunities to give karma. I read everything that is posted here and I do have a fair idea of what's going on. But if you expect a karma point every week or something...you're being a bit unrealistic. I mean, if karma was that easy to achieve, then it wouldn't mean much when you got it now would it?

I'm pretty willing to give karma..and I daresay that most of you with positive karma have received a point or two from me.

---Zelda

------------------
I am your Fairy Godmoderator.

Hey, if you're in love with someone, then you have every right to completely screw up their life.--cynical me!

Sorry if my post was misread. I wasn't trying to whine, nor am I grumpy about anything. I just wanted to know the system is all.

------------------

Usually I karmaslap for out-of-place discussion of karma (which, incidentally, is everywhere on UBB :)). But you're a good man, I'll just give you a pat on the head.

------------------
NOTICE! Any observed act of kindness to other members, SenSsibel yuse of grammeR / splleng / smilies 🙂 😄 :p, and posting unbiased content is forbidden, and violators will be spanked and sent to bed without dinner. (8/6)

Originally posted by Zelda:
**I give karma when I notice someone consistently giving help and if they manage to go to a a bit of trouble to give that help.

LIKE ME!!!!

Posted by spamguy:
karmaslap(b/)

Is that copyrighted?

Posted by Zelda:
(b)and I daresay that most of you with positive karma have received a point or two from me.

Then of course you have the rogue moderators with no forum to call their own. We don't travel in packs like the regular ones, but we can be just as dange..er..karma-friendly.

In other words: Just be a nice, helpful person to everybody and eventually somebody will notice you.

------------------
Look at the stars, that's your life. Look at the dirt, that's your life too. Look to all sides of yourself and see what really isn't your life, but a fantasy dreamt of by others and forced upon you in whole.

10/31/96

Overrider why did you say

"I thank her (Zelda)"?

Am I completely uninformed or is she a girl?

eyes getting out of socks
🆒

- iAussie

------------------

ahem

That's "lady" to your superior. 😉

Your eyes wear socks?

------------------
NOTICE! Any observed act of kindness to other members, SenSsibel yuse of grammeR / splleng / smilies 🙂 😄 :p, and posting unbiased content is forbidden, and violators will be spanked and sent to bed without dinner. (8/6)

Posted by Aussie:
Am I completely uninformed or is she a girl?

Uh oh, Zelda better not see that one :eek:

------------

Spamguy, you never answered my question, is "karmaslap" copyrighted? And what's it called when you raise someone's karma? "karmapatontheback"? 😉

------------------

Sorry, Mr. Tall, I didn't see your question.

Karma is an entirely original concept by moki, as far as I know. The term karmaslap was a concept eventually dredged up by those who (ab)used the system. If you want to copyight it, now's your chance.

------------------

Posted by spamguy:
karma is an entirely original concept by moki

Hmmm...just how custimizable is this UBB system?

------------------

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Every one got Karma but me! Overrider720 and Dr. Tall got Karma! Also, Blackdog and Aussie got Karma! Everyone but me! :frown:

------------------
"Ice, ice, baby! It looks cold in that cavern! I'd freeze my wings off if I were there. Those snow-covered boulders look scrumptious."- Hector D. Byrd

(This message has been edited by Ice (edited 08-12-2001).)

Originally posted by Ice:
**Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Every one got Karma but me! Overrider720 and Dr. Tall got Karma! Also, Blackdog and Aussie got Karma! Everyone but me!:frown:

Me no got Karma, also. :frown:
Welcome to the (small) club. :frown:

------------------
Which is worse, ignorance or apathy?
Who knows?
Who cares?

Originally posted by Dr Tall:
**Hmmm...just how custimizable is this UBB system?

The owner is welcome to tack on CGI scripts of his own making. The UBB maintainers probably want the UBB core to remain untouched, but hey, I didn't purchase it, moki did.

And seeing how this topic is quickly turning to karma whines...let it end here.

------------------

Originally posted by spamguy:

And seeing how this topic is quickly turning to karma whines...let it end here.

Very good call. I nearly closed it yesterday. Then I just felt badly and left it open.

Listen y'all...whining makes me want to never ever EVER give you karma! Ever!

Ok..I'm done.

Oh..and lots of females post on this board. Wake up!

Ok, I really am done now.

---Zelda

------------------
I am your Fairy Godmoderator.

Hey, if you're in love with someone, then you have every right to completely screw up their life.--cynical me!