Parched Earth: the five minute run...

I gather from other posts on the web board that at least a few people have made it through Parched Earth in the allowed five minutes. Since I know there are a whole lot of people who haven't made it through (including me), I'm starting this new topic in hopes that asking in a separate thread will get more response than I've seen elsewhere. So...

For anyone who has made it through Parched Earth:
Do you have any hints for those of us who are still trying?

Thanks,
Elizabeth

------------------
Check out my Ferazel's Wand Player's Guide at (url="http://"http://employees.3gi.com/~ereid/ferazel")http://employees.3gi.../~ereid/ferazel(/url)

Gee, Elizabeth, I've been checking this thread all day as I also need help. Is it possible no one has done it?

Cathy

------------------

Well, I've done it, and I know other people have...maybe we're all shy. 🙂 Or rather I don't know exactly what advice to give.

Basically, the only thing you can do is get really, really good at cannon-hopping. When you fall, usually the best idea is to take the nearest teleporter back to the beginning and try again! If you're falling a lot, maybe you should go through the level once without worrying about the time limit, just to see what's coming up and to practice jumping between cannons.

Other than that, I don't know what else to say... don't bother killing anything, getting anything (besides health!) or looking for secrets, but that's pretty obvious... I can't think of any real tricks at the moment.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Rilla (edited 02-08-2000).)

Yeah, I have to echo Rilla's sentiment. There's no real specific trick about the level except try, try again. Never let go of the run key. In a few places you don't have to make all the jumps that seem necessary; one place that comes to mind has a row of floating cannons, every other one of which spins. It turns out that if you fire yourself out of a non-spinning cannon at the apex of its motion, you can make it to the next non-spinning cannon, thus avoiding all timing issues with the spinning ones. Techniques like this allowed me first barely to beat the level and later to pass it with quite a bit of time to spare.

------------------
--JB

"Miren al pepino. Que suaves movimentos. Es como montequilla en un chango pelon." -- Larry the Cucumber

I made it also, with 3 seconds to spare...I thought I was dead at the end

It's funny but that level is a good practice (if you can believe it) for the fire levels that are beyond it. Those levels you HAVE to keep running or you'll die by means of continuously moving fire wall.

Parched Earth is just a matter of practice and luck. I made it through, but it would probably take me equally as long if I tried to go through again.

And remember my motto: it keeps getting harder! 😛

------------------

There are two instances when cannon-hopping where if you fall to the ground you can run to the east wall, and then climb up it and using a Shift-key jump, make it into a cannon when it's at its lowest point. Also, towards the end, ignore the orange slime and spikes and take the cannons below. I agree with Rilla about not bothering to kill things and collect the Xichrons right away -- you can come back to the level and do that later.

After about 50 attempts, I finally made it through, but my enemy/xichron/secrets percentages were pathetically low!

Be patient! :rolleyes:

Nif

------------------
Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself.

I hate to say this, but I managed to do the level in 4 minutes... 😉 I'm sure it can be done faster than that, though, by some of the rough 'n tough folks at Ambrosia and the beta tester list.

One thing I realized that really helps has already been said -- that is, don't bother fighting stuff, don't slow down to get stuff, or anything of the sort, just run. Another thing I realized is that it's possible to ignore some of those rows of floating cannons! Mess around with this a bit, but give it a try -- when you fall down, just run left and climb whatever you see. In about half of the places, you just have to make a hard jump or two to make it up without using cannons at all.

Remember that there are places where you can jump out from a wall you're climbing and grab an overhang that is over your head. (does that make sense?) You can actually make it over a pretty substantial overhang, if you get the jump distance just right.

Like someone else said, it just gets harder and harder... 😉

Are the fire levels what you find below this blasted "Dig" level that I'm ripping my hair out over?

- Seth

PS: Ambrosia, it's a tribute to how wonderful a game you've made that so many of these levels are such a **** bitch from hell **** to get through, and yet we all just line ourselves up for more!

------------------

On my last trip through Parched Earth, I found something that may save some lives... then again, maybe not. 😛 On the part where it looks like you have to sink into the quicksand and then jump out again on the other side of the wall, if you just climb up wall and fire upwards, the ceiling is blastable. I imagine that you could just climb out of there and hop down on the other side.

------------------

Rilla wrote:
**On my last trip through Parched Earth, I found something that may save some lives... then again, maybe not.:p On the part where it looks like you have to sink into the quicksand and then jump out again on the other side of the wall, if you just climb up wall and fire upwards, the ceiling is blastable. I imagine that you could just climb out of there and hop down on the other side.

How do you fire upwards? (Imagines little ferazel leaning way back and tossing a bomerang up, but can't find the keystrokes)

:redface:

------------------

Amorisse wrote:
**How do you fire upwards? (Imagines little ferazel leaning way back and tossing a bomerang up, but can't find the keystrokes)

It works. I'm not really sure how much time it saves you, but it works. 🙂 Just jump up on the wall and when you reach the ceiling press the up and the fire key.

I'm going to vent now. I've been on the level for quite some time. I cannot tell you how much I hate having to figure out the exact key sequences for each step through the level so that I can do each thing perfectly, because if I DON'T do it perfectly...just have ONE little misstep, I get sent back to the beginning.

Want to have a laugh? I can't get to the above mentioned area without the time running out!! And I can't figure out the next set of cannons at all. I know I'm not even halfway through the level here. 🙂 Let's face it, I suck!!!

And I can't even get help from anyone..I mean what would I ask? Please help me be better coordinated? :::sigh:: Sorry. Vent is now over. Until I post again. 🙂

---Zelda

Zelda,

I finally got through this level...here's what helped me.

The area I was having problems was about half way through...where every other cannon rotates...I just couldn't seem to get past it consistently. Then I read this post about firing yourself out of the the stationary cannons ONLY at the apex (top) of it's up/down motion. You press the left key and hold it. Then press the jump key at the TOP of the motion...do this with each one and you will make it across EVERY time and you will only use the non-rotating cannons. It shaved about 2min off my journey...enough time to make it to the end...with time to spare. Hope this helps.

Just for the heck of it...I've been hacking around with the saved game files and have started to figure out some of the parameters. I've put myself into some of the levels...but without enemies or cannons or anything...just me and walls. Very interesting but I can't do much because I'm missing everything to help me get up walls...etc. Just me and my spells. Fun, but not very helpful.

Cheers,

~Christopher

------------------
Life is NOT measured by the years you live
but by the deeds you do and the joy you give.

I have another tip that may or may not help... one of the cannon runs that I had real problems with is the one right after the purple pool, after the thing with the cannons and spikes. It turns out that if you ignore the cannons and run all the way to the left, then start climbing when you hit the wall, if you're careful how you jump you can get up far enough to jump into the last cannon and then shoot yourself up to the ledge! There's another place earlier on where you can do this too... I think someone mentioned it already.

------------------

Zelda--

I feel the same way about Flash Freeze! I can't figure any way in...FLASH FREEZE...that I'm going to be able to get myself over those...FLASH FROZEN...chasms!!! :frown:

(It's a good thing I don't cuss, huh?) 🙂

I'm currently all the way back to being stuck there in Flash Freeze, and figuring out stuff to about halfway to the end in Parched Earth...what a contrast, eh?

Linda

------------------

(This message has been edited by lindawing (edited 02-16-2000).)

Hey all...I appreciate the advice and the sympathy. I've written some of it down (the advice that is, the sympathy I just enjoyed) and will sit down and TRY to make it through this level within the next couple days. I have to because I want to do something else! I'm holding off on Iceconoclast because of the bug.

I'll take your sympathy anytime. 🙂

---Zelda

In addition to the other suggestions posted here, I have found that the tree trunk spell is useful for bypassing some of the cannons. I haven't been able to successfully use it on the last set of cannons needed to get up to the wall.

Hope that helps.

Sisko

------------------
I think a good present
for the president would
be a chocolate revolver.
And since he's so busy,
you'd probably have to
run up to him real quick
and hand it to him. -
Jack

It's occurred to me to write this, as it's something I've been doing as of late; this game might not be meant for rapid progression from one level to the next. For example, you need to go back and talk to Nimbo. And I think it was meant that we could return and buy potions from Rojinko anytime, although it hasn't been really working that way.

I've gone back and restarted the game at the beginning twice because I've been stuck. I've noticed that when I get back to where I'm stuck after the rerun, I'm better prepared for it. Also, I've redone some levels more than a few times. After making it all the way through labyrinth, having used health potions and rez necklaces, I went back and did it better this time. Now I still have both rez necklaces and the health potions (I wish there was an option to choose to use the rez necklace or retry). Lindawing has been doing this, too, right? And it really helps.

My one problem: I did better jumping those huge chasms by the merchant in Flash Freeze the first time through. Oh well. One other thing: after I get the ice pick, instead of going forward, I went back and got the zir. seeds (what are they, anyhow?) Then I could finish and go back for the box of coins near the beginning of Flash Freeze. If a missed another room walled off by ice, could someone remind me what it is please?

Also, in other threads, the use of gamepads is mentioned and I was wondering if I could ask a question of Ben or one of the others who developed Ferazel's Wand: would you recommend using a gamepad rather than an ordinary key-board? When you designed the game, did you have a gamepad in mind and at your fingertips?

I don't think I'll ever get a gamepad because I'm not much of a "gamer," but on the other hand, I'd like to eventually pass Parched Earth. :rolleyes:

------------------

I designed and tested the game without any new-fangled controller devices -- just the keyboard. I feel that it gives me the most precise control. On the other hand, some people swear by their game pads, so more power to them.

-Ben

------------------

Amorisse wrote:
I've gone back and restarted the game at the beginning twice because I've been stuck. I've noticed that when I get back to where I'm stuck after the rerun, I'm better prepared for it. Also, I've redone some levels more than a few times. After making it all the way through labyrinth, having used health potions and rez necklaces, I went back and did it better this time. Now I still have both rez necklaces and the health potions (I wish there was an option to choose to use the rez necklace or retry). Lindawing has been doing this, too, right? And it really helps.

(some stuff snipped)

Also, in other threads, the use of gamepads is mentioned and I was wondering if I could ask a question of Ben or one of the others who developed Ferazel's Wand: would you recommend using a gamepad rather than an ordinary key-board? When you designed the game, did you have a gamepad in mind and at your fingertips?

I don't think I'll ever get a gamepad because I'm not much of a "gamer," but on the other hand, I'd like to eventually pass Parched Earth. :rolleyes:

I've decided that when Ben finishes the update, I'm going to start completely over and do some of the very things you've said. I'm waiting for the update because bugs will be fixed and I also understand that he's making some other changes as well. (I think that's why the update is taking so long.) So I'll wait for the new version and see if I can do a couple of the levels a bit better the next time around.

I'm also interested in the gamepad question.if it would help with Parched Earth or not.

---Zelda

Now I still have both rez necklaces and the health potions (I wish there was an option to choose to use the rez necklace or retry).

If you press "esc" (Abort Game) between the time Ferazel dies and the resurrection animation finishes, you get sent to the Continue/Give Up screen rather than the main menu. This may be a bug, but if so it's a particularly useful one.

I went back and got the zir. seeds (what are they, anyhow?)

Ziridium seeds; fire seeds that have been steeped in ziridium brine for a little extra kick.

------------------
--JB

"Miren al pepino. Que suaves movimentos. Es como montequilla en un chango pelon." -- Larry the Cucumber

Amorisse wrote:

My one problem: I did better jumping those huge chasms by the merchant in Flash Freeze the first time through. Oh well. One other thing: after I get the ice pick, instead of going forward, I went back and got the zir. seeds (what are they, anyhow?) Then I could finish and go back for the box of coins near the beginning of Flash Freeze. If a missed another room walled off by ice, could someone remind me what it is please?

/B)

There is a second ice wall room in Flash Freeze. If I remember correctly it is a ledge just east of the spot where you have to ride the ice elevator over the long pool, ducking the mace balls. I think it contains a rez necklace?

Cathy

------------------