An Iceconoclasm question

Has anybody, ANYBODY gotten the icewall spell without e-mailing their saved game to Ben? If so, how did you do it?!?!?!

------------------

I'm pretty sure there's no other way. Have you sent your game in and not gotten it back yet? I've been waiting since Wednesday.

LT wrote:
I'm pretty sure there's no other way. Have you sent your game in and not gotten it back yet? I've been waiting since Wednesday.

When you sent your saved game, did you already have the ice crystal spell? I sent mine in 2 weeks ago without it, and he never wrote back. I sent my saved game in 2 hours ago, (12:00PM 3-11-00) where I had the ice crystal spell. If you get your game back, please let me know.

P.S , Lindawing says she (he?) set the screen resolution to 832 x 624, and made it work, but my iMac monitor is unable to go to 832 x 624.

If your monitor is, you might want to try it.

P.S. P.S I would really recommend registering.
------------------

(This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 03-11-2000).)

Blackdog wrote:
**When you sent your saved game, did you already have the ice crystal spell? I sent mine in 2 weeks ago without it, and he never wrote back. I sent my saved game in 2 hours ago, (12:00PM 3-11-00) where I had the ice crystal spell. If you get your game back, please let me know.

P.S , Lindawing says she (he?) set the screen resolution to 832 x 624, and made it work, but my iMac monitor is unable to go to 832 x 624.

If your monitor is, you might want to try it.

Yes, the saved game I sent in already has the ice crystal spell. I'm done except finishing Iceconoclasm and going on to Ends of the Earth and Xichra.

I can get three different screen resolutions, but 832x624 isn't one of them.

LT

Lemme get this straight: You actually beat Parched Earth?!?

P.S. What kind of monitor do you use?

I use the standard iMac monitor.

------------------

Blackdog wrote:
**Lemme get this straight: You actually beat Parched Earth?!?

Parched Earth is fairly simple compared to what comes later..."If You Can't Stand the Heat..." and "Out of the Frying Pan" come to mind. But I guess maybe you didn't want to hear that. Ah well 😛

whitedog

------------------
Let my inspiration flow, in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm... -Hunter/Garcia

Whitedog wrote:
**Parched Earth is fairly simple compared to what comes later..."If You Can't Stand the Heat..." and "Out of the Frying Pan" come to mind. But I guess maybe you didn't want to hear that. Ah well:p

whitedog

Thanks a lot. Now I'm too demoralized to even attempt Parched Earth. Alright, I'll give it ONE more try, but that's it. (For today)

------------------

Blackdog wrote:
**Lemme get this straight: You actually beat Parched Earth?!?

P.S. What kind of monitor do you use?

I use the standard iMac monitor.

Yep, beat Parched Earth. Go through a few times without worrying about the time limit, get the feel of the cannons, look for shortcuts, plan your strategy, etc. There are a few shortcut tips in another thread that really helped me. I believe "Parched Earth" is in the name of the thread.

I have a PowerBook G3. Native res is 1024x768, but it can be switched to 800x600 or 640x480.

LT wrote:
**Yep, beat Parched Earth. Go through a few times without worrying about the time limit, get the feel of the cannons, look for shortcuts, plan your strategy, etc. There are a few shortcut tips in another thread that really helped me. I believe "Parched Earth" is in the name of the thread.

I have a PowerBook G3. Native res is 1024x768, but it can be switched to 800x600 or 640x480. **

Okay, forget what I told Whitedog, Now I'm DETERMINED to beat Parched Earth. Thanks for the help! 🆒

------------------

Whitedog wrote:
**Parched Earth is fairly simple compared to what comes later..."If You Can't Stand the Heat..." and "Out of the Frying Pan" come to mind. But I guess maybe you didn't want to hear that. Ah well:p

whitedog

I don't think I would agree that Parched Earth is "fairly simple" even relative to the later levels, but I'm sure it's a matter of taste to some degree. 🙂 Parched Earth was very frustrating -- in some ways more so, in some ways less -- than the later levels. While waiting for my saved game I've been replaying levels I really got the hang of, including Can't Stand the Heat and Fire Guardians but not Parched Earth.

LT

Okay, I just got through Parched Earth on my 3rd try, with no health potions, and 1 minute, 21 seconds to spare. Yahoo! 😄

Blackdog wrote:
**Okay, I just got through Parched Earth on my 3rd try, with no health potions, and 1 minute, 21 seconds to spare. Yahoo!:D

Way to go, Blackdog!!!! It took me many more tries than that.

I think the best advice for Parched Earth is "If you miss a cannon, you can sometimes go to the left and make a hard jump up, skipping a whole cannon row."

Remember, if you fall, it's not the end of the world, you don't need to run to a teleporter and start over. Just get back up there! Good luck to those of you who are still trying!!!

------------------

(This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 03-12-2000).)

LT wrote:

------------------

Blackdog wrote:
**Okay, I just got through Parched Earth on my 3rd try, with no health potions, and 1 minute, 21 seconds to spare. Yahoo!:D

(This message has been edited by Blackdog (edited 03-11-2000).)**

Well, I'm envious! I got through exactly once, in about 12 minutes. Time always runs out about half way through. Conservatively, I have tried well over 300 times, to no avail. I can only try about 20 or so times at one session, because my fingers get numb or my concentration wanders and my timing gets even worse. Ferazel has become a bore because of all of the repetition, repetition, repetition. Same in Flash Freeze: barrier pit with no way over after 50 or more tries. Same in Labrynth with death always in the middle somewhere and no replenishments to be found. Since Ferazel is no longer fun, I should just bid farewell to it and return in a year or so when my morale returns.

-Grandalf

------------------

Grandalf wrote:
**Well, I'm envious! I got through exactly once, in about 12 minutes. Time always runs out about half way through. Conservatively, I have tried well over 300 times, to no avail. I can only try about 20 or so times at one session, because my fingers get numb or my concentration wanders and my timing gets even worse. Ferazel has become a bore because of all of the repetition, repetition, repetition. Same in Flash Freeze: barrier pit with no way over after 50 or more tries. Same in Labrynth with death always in the middle somewhere and no replenishments to be found. Since Ferazel is no longer fun, I should just bid farewell to it and return in a year or so when my morale returns.

-Grandalf

I had trouble in exactly these same places. I never thought I'd make it through Parched Earth and was literally stunned when I finally did, only a few seconds to spare. I could not get through Labyrinth without drinking a health potion -- you should have found one health potion in the lower cave levels, and you get the opportunity to buy one from a merchant in the very first level. (There's a bug such that you cannot return to him and buy more -- he'll steal your money if you try -- but that might be fixed when the update comes out.) I also had trouble in Flash Freeze jumping along the mace balls above the first chasm, gave up on it for a long time while doing the fire levels. Doing these first, I got one or two health capacity increase stones which helps since you will take damage while going across the mace balls.

Talk about numb fingers -- I have a stuck arrow key on my Powerbook because of this game! It's the left arrow key and I think it was Storm Valley that did it.

LT

LT wrote:
**I also had trouble in Flash Freeze jumping along the mace balls above the first chasm, gave up on it for a long time while doing the fire levels. Doing these first, I got one or two health capacity increase stones which helps since you will take damage while going across the mace balls.

LT, did you get the Invincibility Orb before going over them? I can make it across without taking any hits, I think. (It's been a long time since I played Flash Freeze)

LT wrote:
**I don't think I would agree that Parched Earth is "fairly simple" even relative to the later levels, but I'm sure it's a matter of taste to some degree.:)

LT**

OK, I sure didn't mean to belittle it; its a brutal level...I just found the fire wall chasing me in later levels to be even more disconcerting than the timer. And let me add a footnote to my "fairly simple" statement; it became a lot easier when I read some hints posted in the thread entitled "Parched Earth: the five minute run", esp. woofnpur's advice on 2/15.

And congrats, Blackdog... 😄

Whitedog

------------------
Let my inspiration flow, in token rhyme, suggesting rhythm... -Hunter/Garcia

(This message has been edited by Whitedog (edited 03-13-2000).)

Parched Earth for me was only hard at the part with the spinning cannons interspersed between vertically moving cannons. Until I figured out to wait until the cannons reach their apex and THEN shoot, I couldn't beat that level after literally 3 days of trying. As soon as I figured that out, the rest of the level was a sinch!

And about Flash Freeze and the series of jumps you have to make to get past that one part. I found that quite easy. Maybe it's just me, but I can make it across that part without even slowing down, let alone stopping. I took a movie with Snapz Pro 2 (great utility) and as soon as I upload it somewhere, I'll post the URL here. Elizabeth, do you want it to put on your strategy guide to show that it can be done? 🙂 It's just me making it over the jumps in one fell swoop.

I hope I'm not sounding like I'm better than everyone else for being able to do that, because that's definately not what I'm trying to say. I'm just letting people know that it can be done. I think I've just played too much Donkey Kong Country so I've developed some skills that transfer over to Ferazel's Wand (I beat 1, 2 and 3 🙂 ) And I share your frustrations with Parched Earth...that level was tough!

------------------
-- Jeff

Ack, I accidentally posted that message twice! Stupid PC! 🙂 I'm at school right now and I guess this computer doesn't handle CGI properly. I posted it once, and it didn't show up in the forum. So I went back to post it again, and unlike at home on my 6500, it didn't give me the 'post flooding' warning. So I'm just editing this message so it doesn't say the same as the one above 😛

Hooray for Macs!!!

(This message has been edited by Merciless (edited 03-13-2000).)