Don't hate me for asking this...

After reading the thread from my other topic about the goblin chief...

Some have expressed frustration of reaching a point in the game where it is almost TOO difficult. I have gotten pretty far in the game but I am starting to get frustrated myself. I'm playing three different areas right now and can't seem to get past any of them...Labyrinth being one of them (and so far my least favorite).

OK, here is my question...do you think Ben has any secret codes built into the game to allow for, let's say, limited invincibility or something along those lines that would allow us to get past some of the more challenging sections? He has them in "Harry" and most other Ambrosia games have them.

I'm not one to cheat in games and I realize that the greatest satisfaction in a game is in winning it fair and square...but 4hours trying to get past one little area in Flash Freeze :frown: <sheesh> :frown:

Ben if you do have them...don't post it here but is there a way I can aquire them? eMail?

I hope I haven't offended anyone by asking this.

Thanks,

~Christopher

------------------
Life is NOT measured by the years you live
but by the deeds you do and the joy you give.

I agree with you. This game is really fun, but there are places that are a little too frustrating. It helps that you can have several games going at once, but this, too, becomes problematic. It would really be helpful to have a reusable "save" out on the main map so that, when one task gets too frustrating and tiresome, you could go back and try to find things you missed on earlier levels. You can do this, but you can't save them.

Cathy

------------------

Yeah, I agree too. I mean the game is really great and I really enjoy playing it, but there's a number of places that are so frustrating that they've almost taken all the fun out of it. I think it would help if there were more places that you could save the game, particularly in some of the harder levels. Part of the frustration when you get killed comes from thinking about how long ago your last save was and how much you have to go do again to get to the point where you got killed. Is there any chance that Ben Spees might be convinced to make an update with some more save points? I'm sure many of us would appreciate it.

------------------
Check out my Ferazel's Wand Player's Guide at (url="http://"http://employees.3gi.com/~ereid/ferazel")http://employees.3gi.../~ereid/ferazel(/url)

I agree about being able to save on the main map. say you got to the last level, have used all the save points, but havn't gotten all the secrets and powerups that would be super useful or even needed to beat the level. you die once and you have to spend another day working on it. how's about that in the next update. I know it can't be that hard. all you need to do is add a menu item

------------------
"Sometimes I think that the surrest sign that there intellegent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
-GeX

The problem with saving on the map level is that it really would make the game a bit too easy. You could go stomp a bad guy, leave the level and save. Go do something else, leave the level and save. There does need to be some difficulty or we WILL lose interest. 🙂 There are save points at the beginning and end of most levels...which I am greatful for.

Having said that, I do understand what you're all saying about the difficult. I got very very frustrated in Labyrinth. I tried to get through the timed desert level (Scorched plains?) and gave up. I'm now in Flash Freeze. What would help me more than save points would be more dang health!! I think that if I can buy health potions again...and maybe more than one at a time...that would save me some frustration. Labyrinth would have been a great deal more fun for me if I wasn't dying every four seconds because health was so difficult to find.

Ben has a tough job...he has to make this game hard enough for serious gamers..and yet he has to try and still make it fun for those of us who are less than serious gamers. Maybe for a future consideration...(much too late for this game) have really really hard bonus levels for players. They wouldn't be necessary to complete the game, but would be necessary for some nice little goodie.

I'm frustrated...yep. I'm waiting for the patch so that I can buy health again..but I still do like this game. And you have to admit...the harder something is, the greater your feeling of satisfaction when you manage to complete it.

---Zelda

I don't have my CD yet, but now you all have me worried. I've been able to master level 1 and the River of Fears level in the demo. I can get through the third demo level -- Obfuscation & Edification (?) -- in good health but I'm still looking for secrets, etc.

Where is that third demo O&E; level in the full game? I know it's difficult to describe since the levels are branching rather than hierarchical, but there's a "World Map" screenshot that came with the demo and I've figured out the names of most of the points in the center of the map from the posts on this board. So if someone could describe where O&E; is, that would give me a better idea of what I'm in for. Thanks.

Woofnpur-The obfuscation level is pretty far into the real game.

Zelda - if there were a SAVE on the main map, you couldn't just run into a level and kill a bad guy, come out and save. You would still have to work through to one of the exits. I don't think it would make the game too easy. The game, as it is, is a bit too frustrating and becomes too repetitive. It is still an excellent game.

Cathy

------------------

Health would indeed make all the difference for my enjoyment of the game, too. What I liked about the demo is, although finding secrets was difficult, I wasn't getting Ferazel killed every two minutes and even if I did, there was a nearby save point.

As was pointed out, when you lose your character in Flash Freeze, Labyrinth or Parched Earth there is an incredibly difficult and long journey to do over again. Well, Parched Earth is actually fun as it is. Although I am seriously wondering if it's at all possible to make it through in less than 5 minutes.

So... I'd appreciate a code for more health as well as a code to lengthen the time on Parched Earth. And maybe a couple more escape rings to get through Labyrinth?

😄

------------------

Well, you all will be happy to know that it only keeps getting harder.

I'm on a level on the far west side of the map called "If you can't Stand the heat..." Throughout the entire level a wall of fire chases you continuously so if you stop moving, you die...problem is this pushes you right into the enemies where the beat the hell out of you quickly. Very tough level.

The level before that was no picnic either!

------------------

I just wanted to thank everyone who has voiced their thoughts on this topic...It's nice to know I'm not alone.

🙂 For the record I just want to say "I LOVE THIS GAME!" even with the frustrations. I am not a hardcore gamer and being a solutions oriented guy I'm just trying to come up with a way to get past the areas that I find too difficult. I don't envy Ben. There is such a fine line between keeping a game challenging enough to retain a persons interest while at the same time not making it next to impossible. Hopefully we can come to a solution that will meet with everyone's satisfaction. 🙂

Meanwhile...back at the Labyrinth. 😉

~Christopher

------------------
Life is NOT measured by the years you live
but by the deeds you do and the joy you give.

I'm comforted! At least I know I'm not a wimp for not being able to finish Labyrinth yet!!! I had some awful problems getting through Hangnabit (levels overlapping and making weird pictures that weren't really there), and there was no way around it. Quitting the game all the way and coming back in, didn't change anything.

So I had to start back on a previously saved game (glad I have learned to save with a different name on the first save after I have quit the game and come back to it!), and once more went through Hangnabit (that's the right spelling, isn't it?). Anyway, that time, I just flew through as fast as I could, because I got so mad at the hang glider the first time, that I almost killed my keyboard! So I got hardly any of the secrets, and didn't kill more any of the baddies the second time through. At least when I got all the way across, there was a save, and I was able to go on from there. Now what frustrates me, is that I can't go back into Hangnabit and try to pick up anything that I left behind (as you can do with all the other levels I've played so far), because the hang glider got left over on the other side! When I re-enter the game...just a cliff...no hang glider! How frustrating.

I didn't care much for Storm Valley, and I never could get up to the top, in the middle, where you have to climb up the flying steps and jump for the cliff, in the midst of the rain and wind that is SO frustrating! Talk about four hours! I tried that part for MORE than four hours, and went back to it several times, but could never QUITE get stuck to the cliff. Then it took me quite a long time to FINALLY push through to the end of that level, and I missed a lot of stuff, but I'm NOT willing to go back in there and face that wind and rain again!

So on to the Labryrinth. In one way, I like it, because I've always loved mazes. But this one is SO intricate, and there are SO many dead ends, and I still haven't figured out how to get that necklace! For awhile, I was saved at a point where I could fairly easily get back to the beginning, then run over to the Goblin Chief's lair where I could refill both health and magic real quickly, then run back to the Labyrinth and quickly lose it all again (sigh). But I managed to forge on after much trial and error, and have now (unfortunately) saved my way into a situation where I have only about 1/2" of health (though plenty of magic), because of what you all have already mentioned. I gather that nobody else has been able to get a bottle of health from the merchant in the first level, after having completed that level, and as you all said, there simply aren't enough places to GET more health in the Labyrinth. For a while there, I was saved right before a "purple pool," and could easily refill there (I had worked out that pathway until it was about ready to fall through, if you know what I mean). But then I got to the place I am now, and I foolishly saved, thinking I MUST be close to he end. No such thing (as far as I can tell). I don't have enough life to get out, so I may have to go back to another previously saved game and go through the ENTIRE Labryrinth again, and I'm NOT looking forward to THAT! 😞

I THINK SOMETHING SHOULD BE DONE ABOUT SOME OF THESE TOO, TOO HARD SPOTS.

------------------

cats wrote:
Zelda - if there were a SAVE on the main map, you couldn't just run into a level and kill a bad guy, come out and save. You would still have to work through to one of the exits. I don't think it would make the game too easy. The game, as it is, is a bit too frustrating and becomes too repetitive. It is still an excellent game.

Cathy
(/B)

But you'd have a save available to you anytime you wanted it. If you want to try something very hard and have used up all your savepoints, you just run out and save at the map level and come back. It seems too easy. Unless you're saying that you could only save AFTER you complete a level. But this seems sort of pointless since Ben has save points at the very end and the very beginning of most levels.

---Zelda

I think you're right, Zelda, it would be too easy if you could save on the map. What I started doing when I realized how easy it would be the run out of save points was saving save points. Just like you said, there are save points at the beginning and end of most levels. So when you complete a level, save at the last save point, but DON'T save at the very beginning of the next one; just keep going until you hit the next save point. That way, eventually when you don't have any save points available and you really wish you had one, you can come back, save, and leave.

------------------

My technique has been to go back to the very beginning with a new strategy (which is working for now, but won't help much on those levels I was hung-up on before).

😛 HINTS following for those who don't want to read, skip my message....

I haven't collected any multi-crystals until Storm Valley. That way they don't break before I need them. Now I'm collecting the crystals from Storm Valley and will take them (about 5 of them) to Goblin Chief to blast through him before he can blink.

As someone else mentioned, I don't use the save points at the end or near the beginning of a level...whereever one was easily excessible...so there are two in scent of peril, nearly all the ones in River of Fears...anywhere I know I can easily access from the main map or access without getting the little guy offed.

When reached the room in Western Reaches where Dimbo's private stash is held, I didn't blast through the wall. I could see the chest was still already empty, so I stayed away from the room...I'll go back later if need be. So, when I went to Nimbo in River of Fears, he didn't accuse me of stealing. In fact, he was very nice.

I go through levels and eliminate as many baddies as possible and when I get low on magic or health, I return to the main map to head to any level with ziridium pool near the beginning. Also, I refuse to use my health potions. I got as much back-up from Rojinko as I could right from the start. Only time I used one was to help the wounded Habnibit in Eastern Reaches.

No telling if this will help me, but I've praticed going through Parched Earth without the timer on, plotting my strategy. It seems best to make several trips for collecting goodies, then (hopefully) concentrating on a quick way through, pressing pause when needing to plot direction. I think Parched Earth is fine as it is. Hard, but fine. Would be better if more rez necklaces could be found or bought and if more health potions could be had.

Storm Valley is frustrating, but not too hard. Too hard is getting killed at the slightest mistake and having to go through a tough, long journey over and over again (think Flash Freeze here).

Perhaps the Labyrinth wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't so bad at mazes. They're my weakness.

I guess what I'm saying is, I take back my earlier complaint about hating the game :redface: But can I reiterate the request for more health and perhaps add that access to a couple more rez necklaces would be very nice?

😄 Thank you! (Sorry about the long post)

------------------

Yeah, I've been leaving multi-crystals around as well. And since the very beginning I've been leaving all the rez necklaces where they are, since I figured I'd need them someday. Well, now I'm up against Xichra, and I sure am glad I saved a few. I would be even happier if I'd written down where I left them... oh, to have even one more rez necklace!!! Where did they all go??? 😛

------------------

Rilla,

"All" the rez necklaces? There are two I know of and I can't reach the second. Before the ones that are found in levels NE of hangnabit, are there others?

'=}

------------------

Ok- how do you all "quote" another post? I tried to cut and paste from one of Zelda's posts and it came out all screwy.

About a "Save" at the map level - yes, my idea would be to have a SAVE at the map level that could only be used if you had completed the level. The point would be to enable players to go back to the level and try for 100% of whatever - secrets, xichrons, or enemies - and carry it over to the game being played. As it is set up now, I am running 2 separate games - a "good performance game" and a "just get through this darn level and move on - the heck with the percentages". Maybe a solution would be to have a "reusable" SAVE at the end of each level?

There should be some patch to fix the SAVE problem. As the game is now, it is not necessarily too hard, but the lack of SAVE points makes it very frustrating and repetitive.

And, there is some problem with difficulty. Central Caverns is awfully hard for level 2 of a game of this length. It is a great level - but level 2? This will discourage people. Some of the later levels are easier.

Cathy

------------------

cats wrote:

Ok- how do you all "quote" another post? I tried to cut and paste from one of Zelda's posts and it came out all screwy.

Hit "reply" by the post in which you want to quote. You'll get the entire post quoted in your reply box. Then just delete all but what you want to respond to. 🙂

---Zelda

Zelda wrote:
**Hit "reply" by the post in which you want to quote. You'll get the entire post quoted in your reply box. Then just delete all but what you want to respond to.:)

---Zelda**

Thanks - I never noticed that "reply" icon. I just saw the big black block letters at the bottom "Post Reply".

Zelda - did you ever play the Playstation games Crash Bandicoot? Either Crash 2 or 3 has a similar feature to this game, where you could return to previous levels (only after completing the level once) to try to improve your score (usually time to run the level). I can't remember how they worked the SAVE feature, but it worked well and didn't allow you to "cheat".

Cathy

------------------

I'm a big fan of the Crash series (esp. #3), and I love the way Warped handles saving/level revisitation. However, there are some differences here from Ferazel which should be noted. Crash 3 lets you save on the equivalent of the main map as often as you like, yes; but in Ferazel, when you kill an enemy it is dead forever, and in Crash if you revisit a level all the enemies return. So if unlimited saves were available in Ferazel, you could enter a level, kill an enemy, exit the level to heal and save, and repeat. This is impossible with Crash.

Now if in Ferazel you could not exit a level backwards, mid-level saves would be less problematic. The path to the exit of a level is torturous, thus adequately penalizing a player for returning for a health refill. But I like the ability to retreat back the way I came, and I don't think the necessary trade-off would be worth it just to get a few more save points.

------------------
--JB

"Miren al pepino. Que suaves movimentos. Es como montequilla en un chango pelon." -- Larry the Cucumber