Storm Valley - any tricks to fighting the wind

As usual, I need more help. Is there any trick key combo that helps to fight the wind (not counting run/jump)? I simply cannot figure out how to get over the bouncy gold screws after you climb up the windy steps to the east yellow "pillow elevators". This is toward the beginning. Similarly, later on this level. I simply can't figure out how to fight the wind. Any hints? Thanks.

Cathy

Getting over those screws...stand just to the left of them, then press the "quick" and "right" and "jump" keys at the same time...keep hopping over each in this manner. To get past those cannons, shot a fireball or something at each just one time (assuming you're to the west of them) to make them turn towards the east. Then climb in.

Getting up the second steps toward the sky is easier than getting up those other ones, I think. Use the same technique you used to get to those bouncy screw things and you'll do fine.

😉

------------------

Well you guys did better than I did in Storm Valley. I never could get up the first set of "steps" and elevators. I finally gave up in exhaustion, and just went on and finished the level without seeing the yellow screws you were talking about! Is there anything up there that I absolutely should have? If so, I'll go back and (sigh) try again.

------------------

Thanks for that advice Amorisse! On a total fluke, I once got over the purple bath, but like an idiot I jumped right into it and gave up out of frustration ever trying to get passed it! :frown:

Actually, between that level and the Hangnabits level, I ended up trashing most of my saved games and starting over from scratch! I guess I figured that maybe I'd learn something new that would help me out or that I would just miraculously be better when I get to it next time! I've been avoiding that direction though and have just reached the fire-levels -- I almost miss that stupid wind! :eek:

Thanks again for that tip!

Nif

------------------
Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself.

Also, if you just jump straight up and observe where you land, you can aim your landing spot in later jumps. A running jump gets over most spikes, etc.

Grandalf

------------------

MissNif wrote:
Actually, between that level and the Hangnabits level, I ended up trashing most of my saved games and starting over from scratch! I guess I figured that maybe I'd learn something new that would help me out or that I would just miraculously be better when I get to it next time! I've been avoiding that direction though and have just reached the fire-levels -- I almost miss that stupid wind! :eek:

Would this work? Taking a saved game, say if someone is, well, stuck and can't get passed, oh, the Parched Earth level, sending it to someone else through email? Then someone else would play from it and go through Parched Earth, save again, and send it to the first person? Not knowing much about what computers are capable of, I'm not sure if that can happen. But I have a Mac and so how much do I need to know? Hehe. Anyhow, if you could, it'd make me super happy 😄

And, I'll try to get through the wind for you, too. 🙂

Thanks,

AM
lisette@sweetness.com

Amorisse: I see no reason why that wouldn't work. But it WOULD be CHEATING. 😄 hehe. The saved game files are rather big, so, although I know you didn't mean me, you can send you file to me and I'd be glad to do it for you since I'm on a nice, fast college network.

Out of curiousity, for anyone who has gotten past the purple pool on Storm Valley, what's there? I never did find out... I can't make it myself.

------------------

Yes, the game files are big, but that needn't be a problem. I find that the save files contain a great deal of redundancy, and a 944K saved game compresses down to about 50K or so with Stuffit. Gotta love the Lempel-Ziv algorithm.

------------------
--JB

"Miren al pepino. Que suaves movimentos. Es como montequilla en un chango pelon." -- Larry the Cucumber

Rilla wrote:
Out of curiousity, for anyone who has gotten past the purple pool on Storm Valley, what's there? I never did find out... I can't make it myself.

Oh..I've been close enough to SEE it, but not close enough to get it. It's a rez necklace. I just can't make it all the way over there. Has anyone managed?

---Zelda

Rilla, I thought you were talking about the purple pools at each of the exits from SV.

Is the pool you meant up and past the bouncy screws? I can't get past the bouncy screws.

Cathy

------------------

Yup, that's the one. I made it over to the other side today, only to realize that there are even more springs over there, only they're more tightly packed than the first bunch!!! Thanks, Zelda... I'm not going to frustrate myself on it any longer unless there's a spell over there. 🙂

------------------

After much hair-pulling and frustration on the stairs and the bouncy screws in Storm Valley I've almost got the res. necklace that's over there, but the last part has me stumped.

I can get over all the screws, but I can't seem to get to ledge that the necklace is on. I can either try to bounce off the last screw or hang on to the right side of the ledge just below the last screw. In either case, when I try to make it over to the ledge, I miss and end up down below again. Ack!

Anyone gotten the necklace and have a hint?

In any case, here's my sequence for getting over the screws:

*** SPOILER WARNING ****

Have Ferazel stand to the right of the rock on the ground. Jump up and let the wind carry you back almost to the edge. Then, run right (shift key down) and jump onto the next ledge. Jump left, and repeat the same process until up to the screws.

Run right off the ledge (don't jump) and you'll fall between the first two screws. When the wind has carried Ferazel back left almost into the first screw (just when his elbow starts to cover the screw), run forward and jump over the screw holding down the right and run (run may not be necessary). Let go of the right key or keep it pressed down to have Ferazel land between the next set of screws. Repeat. For the last screw, run right into it and most times (but not all), Ferazel will land barely on the edge of the right hand ledge.

Walk right to get on the ledge, but not far enough to hit the next screw. Let Ferazel slide back almost to the left ledge and again run right into the screw, keeping the right key pressed. Navigate Ferazel over the two screws and down in the area betwen the two sets of screws.

This is where I'm stuck. To get onto the side of the ledge, run right. Keep right pressed until Ferazel clears the ledge, then hold down the left key to let the wind carry Ferazel left and grab onto the ledge.

Hopefully this will save someone else some hair-pulling!

After the frustration of Storm Valley, I was looking forward to less split-second timing, hand-cramping puzzles and dying over and over again. But Noooooooo! Welcome to Flash Freeze. sigh

Ben must be a sadist... I mean, who else would put spiked ceilings right above bouncy screws??? 😉

Personally, too much of the "die and restart until you get it right" is annoying (especially after an hour or so!). It's tough to strike a balance between challenge and frustration, though. At least Ben was nice enough to put save spots nearby so you can save right after you accomplished something really tricky. 🙂

Then again, maybe I'm just clumsy. 😉

------------------

Gundlach, I share your frustration. I have been able to get midway through the second set of springs a few times. Then they're just too close together. You can't land inbetween them, and if you try jumping you just go back where you started from. I did make it all the way over to the ledge where the necklace was ONE time, but I can't seem to jump far enough. I was soooo very frustrated.

---Zelda

Just today I made it to the rez necklace platform. I made it by getting as much of a running start as possible on the final spring and using it to bounce me across (not jumping).

But...

...the infamous "disappearing item" but manifested, and this time through the level the necklace wasn't there! Argh!

I want that update!

------------------
--JB

"Miren al pepino. Que suaves movimentos. Es como montequilla en un chango pelon." -- Larry the Cucumber

Just a thought, because I've never gotten up to the level where the screws are, but has anyone tried running and SLIDING (or the same key sequence, as IF you were sliding) over them? I mean, if you duck just as you hit the screws, will you bounce gently across without hitting those spikes I've read so much about?

I've actually started over with a fresh set of saved games. I'm NOT using as many save points as I can leave behind, for when I go through frustrating levels like Storm Valley and The Labyrinth (actually, I have most of that one pretty well figured out now). With those that you can leave fairly easily, it will be much easier if I can go back to, say, A Scent of Peril (where I have ALL my save points left), and save, then go back to the harder level and go from there.

Also, and yes, I know that technically this is "cheating," I have begun quitting immediately after I DO use a save point. Then I come back in and Resume my game. When you do that, the very first save point you use AFTER that, will let you SAVE AS again. In this way, I've built up an entire library of workable levels that I can go back and play again for different results, should I find out later that I should have "played it differently."

I'm finding this much more rewarding and a LOT less frustrating than before, which also makes me much more relaxed, and I have found that I'm doing much better in the difficult parts now, because I know I'm not going to sacrifice EVERYTHING if I die!!!

------------------

I just remembered something that I saw when I first entered Storm Valley this time through. Close to the very first set of spikes that you come to, I got a glimpse of an invicibility shield...way down at the bottom of the screen!!! Has anyone else seen that, and if so, did you get it? That would make getting through that next little part just a little bit easier!

------------------

Lindawing, if you turn off the "Auto-reuse save files" checkbox in the prefs, you can name each save file individually every time you save. So then you won't have to quit every time you save. Hope this helps.

-Ben

------------------

lindawing wrote:
**I just remembered something that I saw when I first entered Storm Valley this time through. Close to the very first set of spikes that you come to, I got a glimpse of an invicibility shield...way down at the bottom of the screen!!! Has anyone else seen that, and if so, did you get it? That would make getting through that next little part just a little bit easier!

There was a high jump you could jump-spin down to get - near the beginning. Is that what you are seeing? I think it is right after the second SAVE point.

Cathy

------------------

About that "Sliding" sequence you mentioned --

Is there a key combo for SLIDING? I don't know what it is, then, because I've had the darndest time getting through the parts in Iceconclasm in which Ferazel needs to slide under walls. Any hints or help please?

Thanks in advance!

😄

p.s. I mean, I do get under them, but he doesn't "slide" very well at all. In Flash Freeze, he slid very nicely. But in that section of spikey wall in Iceconclasm, the little guy takes a beating getting back...sometimes I can't go through all the way while the invincibility shield is active, either. (babble)

(This message has been edited by Amorisse (edited 02-14-2000).)

Amorisse wrote:
**Getting over those screws...stand just to the left of them, then press the "quick" and "right" and "jump" keys at the same time...keep hopping over each in this manner.
😉
I found out that the easiest way to get over the yellow screws is to walk run on the very first, then "walk" (don't run or jump) through rest except the last of each set, just before the last of each set walk run jump and that will get you through to the necklace.