How much cargo space do I need?

Mission is named Convoy Chaos II

Is this question easier to answer?

I started playing the Convoy Chaos II mission in the Empire of Crime plug-in.

It's part of the Serpens Triumvirate story. I have 30 tons of cargo space.

However, it seems that is not enough.

I boarded one of the freighters I had to board in the mission... and had 10 tons cargo space left free.

When I tried to board the second freighter, I got a message about not having enough cargo space.

I looked at the mission in ResEdit, and the mission requires 20 tons of cargo space.

The mission has 3 freighters that I have to board.

So does this mean I have to have 20 tons of free cargo space for each freighter?

That means I would have to have 60 tons of cargo space! There is not a single mission in Nova that requires this much, and I can't think of any plug-in I ever played that requires you to have 60 tons of cargo space.

To get 60 tons of cargo space, I would have to... sell something. Perhaps one Neutron Turret? Then I would have to buy 3 Cargo Expansions just because one mission requires so! And then I would be unable to buy the turret back. I think that I would have to buy 3 Mass Expansions to get my 30 tons of weapon space back. Is this correct? Tell me, because it's important for me to know.

Does the game work in that way that if the are several ships you have to board in a mission, the game requires you to have the amount of cargo space the mission requires times the amount of ships the mission has? So if there are 3 ships and the mission requires 20 tons of cargo space, you have to have 60 tons free?

That makes the game potentially impossible. Because then I could not buy as many Mass Expansions. Also, it would be impossible to know beforehand when this happens.

Edit: This also results in me having weaker ships if I always have to keep 60 tons as cargo space. I don't know if this affects my ability to win missions in Empire of Crime.

I think I might just edit the mission to require less cargo space. If I change the mission to require less cargo space, does the mission start requiring less cargo space without aborting the mission first?

I sure hope so. Because I got from a Terran planet which now probably won't let me land because I am a Offender there. Then I would have to buy a Empire Fake ID.

This post has been edited by General Cade Smart : 02 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

You only need 40 tons. The first 20 are taken up by the first freighter, and the second 20 are just there to let the game think you have enough, but is never filled.

@darthkev, on 02 July 2013 - 04:08 PM, said in How much cargo space do I need?:

You only need 40 tons. The first 20 are taken up by the first freighter, and the second 20 are just there to let the game think you have enough, but is never filled.

A swift reply for a change!

Okay, I've got more problems.

The game no longer complains about now having enough cargo space, but the mission is so hard I decided to give up and post here.

I boarded 2 of the ships and went Blackthorne. Mission doesn't finish.

I went to the system with the freighters again and... I finally manage to disable all 3 freighters before any of them jumps out. But then, torpedoes hit one of them and the freighter explodes. Perhaps because the freighters are CDX government and a Weave Alliance ship /ships attacked it? CDX is if I remember right a ally of the Terrans and as all Empire plug-in player know, the Weave Alliance is the enemy of the Terrans.

I remember in Nova, that I didn't have to destroy all ships before they jump out in the mission where you have The Pack in the Auroran story. I don't know what that mission is actually called. I could destroy as many Fed ships as I could before Fed ships jump out, then I could jump out, jump back in, and destroy more of Fed ships, and the mission still finishes. Does the same apply to board freighters missions? In the original game? Then if I can't disable all of them before one jumps out, I could board two of them, jump out, jump in, and try to board the third, and then finish the mission. That would be easier, because I wouldn't have to disable all three freighters before they jump out.

Can I just edit the mission to have less ships without aborting it? That's because I've already tried to do this mission several times. And because one of the first missions for the Serpens Triumvirate shouldn't be this hard.

I don't like board freighters missions anyway... they are hard.

The missions involving The Pack had the objective of destroying OR chasing off all Fed ships. This is why you didn't need to kill them all. In missions where you need to board ships, you need to board every ship that shows up. You could change the missions to have only 1 freighter, but if you're currently on one of those missions, you'll have to abort it and get it again. If you alter the mission while EVN is already running, you'll also have to restart EVN.

I also agree that board missions in EVN are somewhat annoying, especially when there's more than 1 ship to board. But as long as you can get everyone to target you, no one will shoot the freighters, allowing you to maneuver around the other ships, disable the freighters, and then loot them.

Okay, maybe my post wasn't clear. I wrote this: Does the same apply to board freighters missions? In the original game?

I want to know how to do the mission Convoy Chaos II still. I did mean that with the original game.

I only mentioned Nova because I was under the illusion the game is better in Nova: you don't have to destroy everything before it jumps out.

But I guess what you wrote could be used for the original game too, meaning this plug-in.

You wrote: But as long as you can get everyone to target you, no one will shoot the freighters, allowing you to maneuver around the other ships, disable the freighters, and then loot them.

That means I would have to shoot all Weave ships too, and I don't ever do it because I like the the Weave. There's also one more problem: how can I be sure one of the freighters doesn't jump out after I have shot all ships in the system? That would mean I would have to be pretty fast... so fast I don't know if I can do it. I already have been fast enough only once to disable the 3 freighters before one jumps out.

I guess I'll try your advice, then my way, and then edit the mission. My way would be disabling all 3 ships before one jumps out and then trying to board all 3. I don't know if I can do it though without something shooting one of the freighters dead though.

You also wrote: You could change the missions to have only 1 freighter, but if you're currently on one of those missions, you'll have to abort it and get it again.

I guess this means it for the original game too. The only problem is then that I am a Offender at Pelagon, where you get the mission. That means I would have to get a Empire Fake ID to get the mission again. Or can I use Offer Bribe? I also forgot if the mission was offered at Opal, have to look that up.