OK, bit of a devil's advocate question...

Originally posted by Emperor_oberon:
**As to the pirating issue...of course. ASW uses a bizarre business system, I'm sure they know the advantages and disadvantages quite well, and I'm sure they know that piracy is a big issue. Andrew obviously doesn't realize that this might be a direct reaction to dislike for the ASW staff, I'm not sure why. I'm also not sure why he thinks that someone can't start out disliking a game but start liking it more later. If I didn't know better I'd say he's just really slow, but if he's an idiot he is one hell of an idiot savant, so I'm going to assume it's something else (what, I have no clue).

Anything can be stolen (though PoG isn't particularly easy to pirate) -- But that's besides the point. I don't think that I've done anything that gives you any reasonable justification for being angry, but that's your choice.

Of course, I still haven't heard anything as to my question about how PoG was released before Coldstone. No one else finds this bizarre?

What better way to test a game creation engine than actually create a game with it? Coldstone likely would not be nearly as complete or far along had we not done this.

------------------
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

For what it is worth I really like PoG... and I'm usually a fan of the much more complex type of micro-managing RPGs... I like PoG because it is charming, simple to play, and has a lot of depth in graphics, creatures, locations... etc... The game has a nice balance between a plot driven RPG and a sort of console type 'explore and fight' game. A lot of action type games one wrong move and your dead... but I've found PoG to be very easy to survive in... if you are careful and run away when losing.... I enjoy that.

About the combat... while it is very streamlined... it also isn't without strategy.... it is easy to use terrain to block multiple opponents from attacking you at the same time... block with shield does work well... and you can hit and run in some circumstances to avoid damage... so it isn't at all brainless.

About Oberon:

I think Andrew's posts actualy speak quite highly to his character. Despite your (oberon fellow) generally poor maners Andrew has answered in simple and relaxed 'tones'... it isn't easy to put thousands of hours of your life into something, as I'm sure the staff at ASW and Beenox have done with this game and hear someone dismiss it as "truly sucks" after a few minutes with the product.

Oberon seems to be angered, or just confrontational, about the fact that no one bent overbackwards to kiss his butt when he made a few poorly conceived and simply rude comments about someone elses work. Oberon's threats to steal games because Andrew didn't take the bait and fight with him are stunningly silly and childish.

oh well....

------------------

remained unprovoked and not very helpful.

Heh, those are interesting words to see together. "Since they weren't provoked, they were useless!".

As to the pirating issue...of course. ASW uses a bizarre business system, I'm sure they know the advantages and disadvantages quite well, and I'm sure they know that piracy is a big issue. Andrew obviously doesn't realize that this might be a direct reaction to dislike for the ASW staff, I'm not sure why. I'm also not sure why he thinks that someone can't start out disliking a game but start liking it more later. If I didn't know better I'd say he's just really slow, but if he's an idiot he is one hell of an idiot savant, so I'm going to assume it's something else (what, I have no clue).

Are you as big of a fückwit as you seem?

"Bizarre business system" -- um, I happen to like not paying 50 bucks for a new game. Shareware is a nice thing. And so, because you were being a little twat and couldn't handle it when you were summarily dealt with, you decided you would dislike Andrew. Who the hell are you calling stupid? Why don't you just go ahead and admit you made an ass of yourself?

Anyway, I took a crack at the game with knowledge of the block option and it made things...interesting. It seems that the enemies have so few frames of animation that it's almost impossible to correctly block every attack, but when I have more time I'll definetly experiment some more.

How possible do you think it would be to block every attack in reality?

Of course, I still haven't heard anything as to my question about how PoG was released before Coldstone. No one else finds this bizarre?

Not really. Not only does it make sense development wise, it also makes sense business wise. If PoG is a success (which indications show so far) than more interest will be given to Coldstone.

------------------
Fortress of Die Nacht: An upcoming game from Aviary Productions.
(url="http://"http://www.aviaryproductions.f2s.com/downloads.html")Go take a look!(/url)

Coldstone isn't ready for release, for a few reasons. PoG is ready for release. Why not make the sensible decision and release one after another?

- Anatole

------------------
There will come a time, when the/curse of the One above/will not be tolerated further/when the Lineage of Caine will be weak/and there will be no Embracing for/these Childer/for their blood will run like water/and the potence in it will wither/Then, you know in this time that/Gehenna will soon be upon you.
- The Book Of Nod

(snip)
(snip)
Anyway, I took a crack at the game with knowledge of the block option and it made things...interesting. It seems that the enemies have so few frames of animation that it's almost impossible to correctly block every attack, but when I have more time I'll definetly experiment some more.
(snip)

I don't know if i was helpful... but this the best apology we'll get from him. He's not a normal, mannered entity like the rest of us, and he is giving PoG a second chance. I'd say we could leave this topic alone.

------------------
"Treat animals just like they're people"
"But, we don't even treat people right."

Emperor_oberon:
You complain a lot about cliches. Personally, I don't find the game to be full of cliches. I think it is original and fun. But, not ever game must break barriers. Can't it just be a very fine example of a very fine genre? I have been looking for a good RPG for awhile now, but I am no longer looking. 🙂 Also, the 3-D graphics are really growing on me, I really like the town walls and roofs a lot. There is something very happy about the graphics. Diablo is a very dark game, PoG seems like, "Aw, the world is going to hell, but we still like to farm and live happy little lives." Tomorrow, I will be enjoying entering the Learning Tree for the first time. 🙂

------------------
Bushes are nice 'cause they don't have prickers -- unless they do. This one did. Ouch! -Ralph Wiggum
Download (url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/dl-redirect.pl?path=ferazel/addons&file;=Extemporaneous.sit.hqx")Extemporaneous 0.5(/url) for Ferazel's Wand.
Visit the (url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/emudevelopers/ferazel.html")Extemporaneous Website(/url).