OK, bit of a devil's advocate question...

But am I the only one who thinks this game really, truly sucks? After wandering around for ten minutes and finding the "immersive plot" utterly boring and completely cliched, I killed a bunch of enemies and then died. Why did I die? I didn't even notice my HP counter because the battles were so unbelievably dull. Yes, yes, click the goblin. Woo-bloody-hoo. Is this all the game has to offer? Click the enemy, run away if necessary? I would have thought Ambrosia would release better.

While I'm whining, what's with ColdStone? I was assuming that its makers would produce the first game with it and one that would remain one of the best. They nailed first (using an unfinished version? If it's finished, why not release it?), but if this game is the best that's a whole crapload of wasted time. I was fairly excited about this, it looked like a good project, but what the hell's going on?

If I'm missing something and only the first 10-20 minutes of this game suck, please say so (and restore my faith in Ambrosia!).

------------------
--oberon (the rest of my sig: coming soon)

Originally posted by Emperor_oberon:
**But am I the only one who thinks this game really, truly sucks? After wandering around for ten minutes and finding the "immersive plot" utterly boring and completely cliched, I killed a bunch of enemies and then died.

I think you answered your own question. You played the game for 10 minutes, and are now trashing it. Do you often read the first page in a book, and then start telling people how much the book sucks?

------------------
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

andrews book analogy is correct. Get into the game before you try and trash it. Come to #pog and then say that!
------------------
Apple Computer - The name of microsoft's research and development division
--------------------------------

(This message has been edited by DarkBlade (edited 08-28-2001).)

Hmmm...That wasn't very helpful. If I read a book for ten minutes and it's so unbelievably boring it makes me want to kill something then yes, I stop reading. My question was not "why does the game suck so far," because I know that. My question is, will it get better? Is there ever any strategy or skill or somesuch, or is it just "walk around. Click." The strategy involved in "click. RUN AWAY!" just won't cut it.

Edit: I note that while decrying my evaluation method, neither poster mentioned that the game would get better. Definetly not a good sign.

(This message has been edited by Emperor_oberon (edited 08-28-2001).)

**Edit: I note that while decrying my evaluation method, neither poster mentioned that the game would get better. Definetly not a good sign.

The game gets better as you get more into it, of course -- however, since you have made up your mind already, I think perhaps you might want to find another game to play.

------------------
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

The fact that I suddenly became "sick" at work today so I could come home and play shows how damn good this game is. It only gets cooler.

------------------

Darkblade, now that does say a lot! I can't wait until the CD is finished and I get the game!

Having dreams of POG making me go insane. I am like a kid at the candy store without any money, everyone but me is eating cotton candy

I think I need to go to the order page immediately, and pull out my ATM credit card. And, if that doesn't work I will just use my regualar credit card.

------------------

Well, everything I've read on the webboard suggests that the story gets quite a bit more complex and branching as you progress further in the game. Granted, I have no first-hand experience since I only have the demo, but from what I've heard the story gets better.

Wow. To be able to say so little with so many words!

As for the combat system, it will stay as it is, because that's the way PoG is. (until anyone writes a combat plug-in for it) If you didn't know it already, you can block attacks if you are equipped with a shield.

BTW, is there any difference to the game if you download it and register it or buy it on a CD?

------------------
I never knew it would be so difficult to think of a good signature.

(This message has been edited by Mr Always (edited 08-28-2001).)

You can block attacks even without a shield. For example, if you have a bow your guy wears the shield on his back and when he blocks he crouches down like a turtle so you get hit in the back.

------------------

That blocking thing sounds interesting. I swear I hit z at one point or another, but I'll go back and see if that improves the game. Thanks.

Now, to Andrew: What's wrong with you? Had this game been anything but an Ambrosia product I wouldn't even remember its name at this point. It would be erased, and I would be playing Zelda III (an example of a similar game that has already proven itself a classic) on SNES9X. Because it IS Ambrosia, I posted here asking what other people saw in it. I was hoping to get some really good responses, which meant I had to make sure people were willing to respond. Hence I used a strong tone. Then you step in and critisize how long I've played the game and later tell me not to play it. What the bloody hell? Is this the "we hate customer loyalty" policy? It's not like you don't have competition (See "Zelda III" above), and you're certainly not invincible. So what's the deal? Explaining why PoG came out before the editor used to create it and listing a bunch of interesting game play elements (those being elements other than "click enemy", you see) might have had me enthused enough to register it. Now? Remember that you're in a business where customers liking you is a NECESSITY. It is faster, easier, and cheaper to get a registration code from Surfer's Serials than it is to get one from you. I've sent you money before because I felt that supporting a company producing such great titles was a good idea. Now go reread your messages and tell me why I'd want to support you.

Note that "you" above seems to apply to you as a person and Ambrosia as a company. Why is that? You're the president. What you say, the company says. Keep that in mind.

Annoyed at the silliness,
--oberon

**Now, to Andrew: What's wrong with you? Had this game been anything but an Ambrosia product I wouldn't even remember its name at this point. It would be erased, and I would be playing Zelda III (an example of a similar game that has already proven itself a classic) on SNES9X. Because it IS Ambrosia, I posted here asking what other people saw in it. I was hoping to get some really good

There's nothing wrong with me -- and you did not come here posting to ask what other people saw in it. Perhaps you should re-read your post? Here are some excerpts:

"truly sucks" -- "unbelievably dull" -- "utterly boring" -- "crapload of wasted time"

Do you really consider this a mature way to present your opinion? Have you actually played the game much? From your posts, it doesn't seem so.

**Remember that you're in a business where customers liking you is a NECESSITY. It is faster, easier, and cheaper to get a registration code from Surfer's Serials than it is to get one from you. I've sent you money before because I felt that supporting a company producing such great titles was a good idea. Now go reread your messages and tell me why I'd want to support you.

I don't believe I said anything out of line -- I simply said that you'd already made up your mind, and perhaps you should find another game to play. I don't see any problem with that.

------------------

OK, to answer both your comments...

If I had said "I don't find the game fantastic. Why does everyone like it?" I would probably get boring, simple answers. People are more willing to write when they're doing so emotionally. Of course, my post obviously failed since I mainly got boring simplistic answers, but that's besides the point.

As to what you said...of course you're not out of line. But you've pretty much assured that if I register any Ambrosia products in the near future, it will not be via buying a registration code off you. So you've ****ed yourself out of my money. As far as I can tell you don't really care, which seems odd, but hey, that's your choice.

------------------

What can I say, except that people never cease to amaze me.

::walks away shrugging::

------------------

**As to what you said...of course you're not out of line. But you've pretty much assured that if I register any Ambrosia products in the near future, it will not be via buying a registration code off you. So you've ****ed yourself out of my money. As far as I can tell you don't really care, which seems odd, but hey, that's your choice.

Pardon me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that you just told the president of a software company that you were going to pirate his software.

------------------
The most dangerous people are the followers in positions of power.
(url="http://"http://www.nohate.f2s.com")Don't Hate Me(/url) | (url="http://"http://yoshi.zzux.com/spaceport/")Spaceport Bar Forums(/url)

**OK, to answer both your comments...

If I had said "I don't find the game fantastic. Why does everyone like it?" I would probably get boring, simple answers. People are more willing to write when they're doing so emotionally. Of course, my post obviously failed since I mainly got boring simplistic answers, but that's besides the point.

As to what you said...of course you're not out of line. But you've pretty much assured that if I register any Ambrosia products in the near future, it will not be via buying a registration code off you. So you've ****ed yourself out of my money. As far as I can tell you don't really care, which seems odd, but hey, that's your choice.

Heh. It appears perhaps you're missing something. First off, don't try to manipulate people by using the idea that, "People are more willing to write when they're doing so emotionally." Erm, just asking usually cuts it. Now, put yourself in Andrew's particular shoes. Add up all the time that he has been a part of this project (while not doing actual coding, being the boss ain't easy either).

Now that you have this, imagine some punk comes on your webboard and starts throwing around sarcastic remarks about how much the game sucks and how it just really bites the big one.

That was real mature of you. Especially that part where you say you'll be pirating ASW's games in the future. What it comes down to is that you came to this webboard hoping to provoke somebody, and when you got told off without a big to-do, you had to cry about it. Sheesh.

------------------
Fortress of Die Nacht: An upcoming game from Aviary Productions.
(url="http://"http://www.aviaryproductions.f2s.com/downloads.html")Go take a look!(/url)

Originally posted by theGlueBubble:
**Now that you have this, imagine some punk comes on your webboard and starts throwing around sarcastic remarks about how much the game sucks and how it just really bites the big one.

While I agree he was a bit caustic, I really don't care -- he is welcome to his opinion, and can express it however he pleases.

What I don't understand is what I did to incur his wrath. I merely stated that it appeared he had made up his mind already, and should find another game to play -- which I meant in all seriousness. I don't believe in arguing with someone who has already made up their mind.

eh -- whatever.

------------------

It seems to me the thing that most turns Emperor_oberon off to the game is the simplicity of the gameplay. However, he may not realize this is quite intentional, in order to make the game easy to learn. PoG is the only RPG I've played in which I could start playing immediately and learn as I go without having read any documentation. It seems to me, Emperor_oberon, that you prefer the more traditional and more intricate style. That's cool, every Ambrosia game released has a few people who play it and simply hate it, any given game will not be liked by all. But those who have responded to you in this thread, including me, fail to see why you've become so upset over the matter, when you could have stated your objections, explained them, and been done with it.

------------------
I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway. -Crow T. Robot
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum;=Just+Games&number;=60&DaysPrune;=20&LastLogin;=")Just Games(/url), because wasting time is a beautiful thing

Originally posted by StarStrafer:
**It seems to me, Emperor_oberon, that you prefer the more traditional and more intricate style. That's cool, every Ambrosia game released has a few people who play it and simply hate it, any given game will not be liked by all..

Great, Emperor. You can get into the game, so you understand the storyline and the concepts, then when Coldstone comes out you can easily make a plug where the battle system is to your preference and then you can fully enjoy the game your way. Ambrosia made PoG open to plug-ins for a reason, people have their personal preferences on everything.

------------------
"I'm a controversial figure. My friends either dislike me or hate me."

**But am I the only one who thinks this game really, truly sucks? After wandering around for ten minutes and finding the "immersive plot" utterly boring and completely cliched, I killed a bunch of enemies and then died. Why did I die? I didn't even notice my HP counter because the battles were so unbelievably dull. Yes, yes, click the goblin. Woo-bloody-hoo. Is this all the game has to offer? Click the enemy, run away if necessary? I would have thought Ambrosia would release better.

It's a little late to respond, but... you've got to be one of the biggest p*****s in the world to die in a game and then blame it on the game company. Where's your attention span, that you can't notice your health is dropping.

------------------
"Treat animals just like they're people"
"But, we don't even treat people right."

Originally posted by TIE187:

**But am I the only one who thinks this game really, truly sucks? After wandering around for ten minutes and finding the "immersive plot" utterly boring and completely cliched, I killed a bunch of enemies and then died. Why did I die? I didn't even notice my HP counter because the battles were so unbelievably dull. Yes, yes, click the goblin. Woo-bloody-hoo. Is this all the game has to offer? Click the enemy, run away if necessary? I would have thought Ambrosia would release better.

It's a little late to respond, but... you've got to be one of the biggest p*****s in the world to die in a game and then blame it on the game company. Where's your attention span, that you can't notice your health is dropping.

I like this quote. It's funny. I'm responding to all of them, but I'm quoting this one because it amuses me.

Anyway, I was sort of hoping for a rant. I wanted to know what really kept people at this game. Hence, I used a provocative tone. In a twist I would have given 1000 to 1 odds against, everyone here remained unprovoked and not very helpful. Ah well.

As to the pirating issue...of course. ASW uses a bizarre business system, I'm sure they know the advantages and disadvantages quite well, and I'm sure they know that piracy is a big issue. Andrew obviously doesn't realize that this might be a direct reaction to dislike for the ASW staff, I'm not sure why. I'm also not sure why he thinks that someone can't start out disliking a game but start liking it more later. If I didn't know better I'd say he's just really slow, but if he's an idiot he is one hell of an idiot savant, so I'm going to assume it's something else (what, I have no clue).

Anyway, I took a crack at the game with knowledge of the block option and it made things...interesting. It seems that the enemies have so few frames of animation that it's almost impossible to correctly block every attack, but when I have more time I'll definetly experiment some more.

Of course, I still haven't heard anything as to my question about how PoG was released before Coldstone. No one else finds this bizarre?

------------------