Aquaria goes open source!

kudos to the humble indie bundle

So if you go to the Humble indie bundle website you can now see that Aquaria went open source. I'm still not sure how this whole thing works though. So it would be very helpful if someone could tell where exactly I can find the code. Thank you.

Sorry I guess I should have been a little more specific. I meant how does the whole open source thing work? I know that it allows people to make mods and such, but does it allow you to play the game without having to buy the game? If so how do I do this?

About Open Source

A few points:
- People could make mods before Aquaria went open source. That's a functionality of the game that was built in since the beginning.
- You can get the game without buying it, but you have to be able to build the code to do so. That's not an easy task unless everything's set up for the user to just hit a button. I don't have the time to download it and see, but maybe you have some experience in the area. If not, it will be very hard to do. Again, see that google link. Third link down. It's all right there.

Has anyone actually been able to build it? I get unexplained errors from eight of the Freetype files whether I use Xcode or the command line.

QUOTE (adam_0 @ Jun 4 2010, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About Open Source

A few points:
- People could make mods before Aquaria went open source. That's a functionality of the game that was built in since the beginning.
- You can get the game without buying it, but you have to be able to build the code to do so. That's not an easy task unless everything's set up for the user to just hit a button. I don't have the time to download it and see, but maybe you have some experience in the area. If not, it will be very hard to do. Again, see that google link. Third link down. It's all right there.

Wrong on the second point. The engine is FOSS, but the game content itself you still need to pay for. Doesn't mean you can't use mods with the free engine though.

QUOTE (LNSU @ Jun 6 2010, 12:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wrong on the second point. The engine is FOSS, but the game content itself you still need to pay for. Doesn't mean you can't use mods with the free engine though.

Thanks because I still do not own Aquaria, so I was just wondering if I should just buy it or if there was another way to do it. So I'll just buy a copy soon.

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Jun 5 2010, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has anyone actually been able to build it? I get unexplained errors from eight of the Freetype files whether I use Xcode or the command line.

Well you're getting further than I am. Here's what I've done:
1. Checked out with MacHg
2. Installed CMake
3. Run cmake. Successful.
4. Run make. Full of fail. Heaps of "No such file or directory" errors.

(edit) Okay, I made progress by dropping to gcc 4.0. Now it manages to build all the object files before failing with:
No rule to make target `./BBGE/SDL12/lib/macosx/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib ./BBGE/SDL12/lib/macosx/libSDLmain.a'

This post has been edited by Guy : 06 June 2010 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (Guy @ Jun 6 2010, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well you're getting further than I am. Here's what I've done:
1. Checked out with MacHg
2. Installed CMake
3. Run cmake. Successful.
4. Run make. Full of fail. Heaps of "No such file or directory" errors.

This is more or less what I've been doing, except that I also tried the option in CMake that can create an Xcode project, which at least gives a more organised list of error messages.

I'll try experimenting around with the various other compiler settings since that seems to have improved things for you. Switching to compile against 10.4 rather than 10.5 seemed to reduce the number of errors, but I think they were just being masked, because they've come back again.

I wonder if there's some sort of undocumented dependency that isn't included in the code package. It would help to know how they went about building it in the first place.

Yeah, I tried Xcode too with the same results.

New updates in the repo mean I no longer have to drop to gcc 4.0. Still failing with that same error though.

Aha! I installed SDL and built for i386 (that distribution is i386 only) and now it gets a pile of ld warnings about SDL but does produce a working binary. Great! But it'd be better if it could use the 64-bit SDL that's included.

Can you tell me the procedure you used to build it? I'm still getting unexplained errors when it comes to the Freetype files.

QUOTE (David Arthur @ Jun 6 2010, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you tell me the procedure you used to build it? I'm still getting unexplained errors when it comes to the Freetype files.

Any chance you could post those errors? That might be helpful in figuring things out.

CODE

Use a (code) box, please

This post has been edited by adam_0 : 06 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

I've discovered the problem, and it's rather ridiculous: Freetype, and Freetype only, cannot be compiled if the name of the folder in which the source code is stored has a space in it. :rolleyes: With 'Aquaria Source' renamed to 'AquariaSource', and SDL installed as Guy suggested, I now have at least a finished build (though I've yet to test it with the actual data files).

Ha, that's funny - my folder was originally named the same but I changed it to just 'Source' (for no particular reason) before running cmake for the first time.

Just because I'm curious, I tried building with Clang + LLVM which worked but has no sound in-game.

So the 'executable' I was able to build doesn't actually run when installed into the bundle. What did you do that persuaded it to launch and recognise the data files?

Which bundle are you using? The humble bundle works straight away. If you're using the ASW bundle you can turn it into the humble version like this:
1. From the Resources folder, move data, gfx, mus, scripts, sfx, vox, macinstall/_mods, and macinstall/com.bit-blot.aquaria.xml into the root of the bundle.
2. Rename com.bit-blot.aquaria.xml to usersettings.xml.
3. If you like, you can delete everything else in the Resources folder except for Aquaria.icns. You can also delete the Frameworks folder.
4. Install the files in this 1.1.3 Update, taking care not to overwrite any folders.
5. Replace the binary with the one you built from source.
6. Enjoy 🙂

This post has been edited by Guy : 08 June 2010 - 05:39 PM

All right, thanks — I wasn't aware that it had changed since the Ambrosia version.

edit: Strange, I get a message that libSDL-1.2.0.dylib couldn't be loaded, even though I installed the same package as you did. It appears to be from 2002, so I wouldn't think it requires 10.6 or anything like that.

Hm, don't know why that would be. Does the error happen when you try to launch? Not sure if this will work, but try copying the dylib into Contents/MacOS (the humble release has the dylib here).
The issue with it not building with the included library has been reported on the mailing list though, and Ryan said he'd look into it soon.

This post has been edited by Guy : 10 June 2010 - 12:09 AM

I still get this on launch:

CODE

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/admin/David/Graphics/Aquaria/AquariaSource/Aquaria.app/Contents/MacOS/Aquaria
Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
/usr/local/lib/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib: unknown required load command 0x80000022
/usr/local/lib/libSDL-1.2.0.dylib: unknown required load command 0x80000022

No idea why the 'humble' version should be so different from the Ambrosia one . . .