May I ask--

Why do you still play EV? Is it because you think EVO sucks or you can't run it?

Because we're too lazy to d/l EV for EVO.

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.blackrockmac.com/ajm/sig.html")~AM~(/url)

because EVO's slower. and i think old things kick ass. c'mon, i have a beastey 1975 kenwood reciever in my dorm room!!

------------------
(url="http://"http://209.67.19.99/~da_mac/orion/")()rion Productions(/url)
~ Robin ( (url="http://"mailto:funky_cheeze@usa.net")mailto:funky_cheeze@usa.net(/url)funky_cheeze@usa.net

EVO is funky in a bad way. The ships, especially the UE destroyer, look like they were thought up by a six-year old and were drawn by a guy that had an IQ of 6. The weapons sound strange. I just can't get used to it.

------------------
"You all look like happy campers to me. In fact, you are happy campers. You always have been happy campers. As far as I'm concerned, you'll always be happy campers."

-Dan Quayle on a 1990 state trip to Samolia

The UE stuff is the best....

The Confederate stuff looks like kiddie toys... like that picture of Earth from the Alpha Station? Bwa haha....

------------------
Unix for business
Linux for development
BeOS for media
Mac OS for productivity
Windows for solitaire

EVO looks like it was drawn by someone with an IQ of 6? At least it has some textures! The EV graphics are basically cylinders and spheres sunken into each other and a few flat extrusions for the wings. Yes, I know, that isn't true. But how can you say the Igazra was drawn (sic) by anyone with an IQ less than 100? If you take a closer look at the ships (comm dialog images) you can see that they're a LOT more detailed than the original EV ships. Also, you aren't stuck with the rebel or confed war missions! You can side with the aliens, the earthlings, the miranu, or any three of the strands at war. It has sooooo much more variety.

The only reasons I occasionally play EV over EVO is because of the wonderful plugins available for it, and because Hector doesn't rob you. Otherwise, Override all the way.

------------------
" The Zaphod Beeblebrox?"

"No, just a Zaphod Beeblebrox; didn't you hear I come in six-packs?"
-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The main reason I hardly ever play EVO has to be that it's just so slooooooooooow on my ol' clunker. That and I never have enough time on my hands...

------------------
-Basilisk-

"That's offensive! Never call me Australian again!"

AIM: EVBasilisk

Mister Spiffus wrote:

EVO looks like it was drawn by someone with an IQ of 6? At least it has some textures! The EV graphics are basically cylinders and spheres sunken into each other and a few flat extrusions for the wings. Yes, I know, that isn't true. But how can you say the Igazra was drawn (sic) by anyone with an IQ less than 100? If you take a closer look at the ships (comm dialog images) you can see that they're a LOT more detailed than the original EV ships. Also, you aren't stuck with the rebel or confed war missions! You can side with the aliens, the earthlings, the miranu, or any three of the strands at war. It has sooooo much more variety.

First off, I was talking about the UE Destroyer when I made the IQ comment. Look at it. It looks like something from a 50's sci-fi show for kids. So does the Lazaria (however you spell that). EVO is full of bugs, big ones. For example, if you complete the Voinian mission were you destroy Kelomoan, it PERNAMENTLY disapers in all your other pilot files, and any other ones you create after that.

------------------
"You all look like happy campers to me. In fact, you are happy campers. You always have been happy campers. As far as I'm concerned, you'll always be happy campers."

What the hell are you talking about? It doesnt and CANT do that.

The engine is the only thing that can mess with your pilot files, and the visbits are a resource thing...

I think you are confused... it NEVER happened to me

------------------
Unix for business
Linux for development
BeOS for media
Mac OS for productivity
Windows for solitaire

Actually, most of the bugs seem to be related to the hardware setup. If you read the docs, many bugs reported haven't been able to be recreated by some of the guys at Ambrosia. I've finished all of the UE and Crescent missions, and am playing Beyond the Crescent right now.
I also lurrrrve some of the plugins. Can someone send me a pilot file where you've completed all of the rebel missions (i.e. finished the game) so I can play some of the original EV plugins? They're only a few K, so send away at (url="http://"mailto:webzen@mailandnews.com")mailto:webzen@mailandnews.com(/url)webzen@mailandnews.com

I have a Quadra 700 sitting in my closets... I would use it... to bad it doesnt have a HD or monitor or keyboard or mouse....'

They sure are nice though...

------------------
Unix for business
Linux for development
BeOS for media
Mac OS for productivity
Windows for solitaire

One of the reallly big towers? Kroffus!
I have lots of stuff I can swap around; I have 3 Macs I continually swap hard drives with; you can get a 250MB drive for 30 bucks in the back of some magazines.

------------------
See how they run like pigs from a gun, see how they fly...---Either a Beatles song or the thoughts of a Voinian Dreadnought captain during battle 🙂

mikee J wrote:

**What the hell are you talking about? It doesnt and CANT do that.

The engine is the only thing that can mess with your pilot files, and the visbits are a resource thing...

I think you are confused... it NEVER happened to me

Wanna bet! I'll send you all my pilot files if I have to! EVERY SINGLE FILE!!!

I don't know how, but it happened. It only happend in that one mission, not in any of the others.

------------------

EV/O is a wonderful game. Although I obviously don't play it enough...

WHAT BUGS?

ElG7

( I mean, what is there that doesn't work? )

------------------
KIRK: Very funny, Scotty - now beam down my clothes!

So what most of you are trying to say is that EVO sucks??
That means i have spent heaps of time trying to get an emulator to run it and i shouldn't have bothered?? Oh well. By the way does anyone know how to run any EV editors through a emulator? Even Res-Edit won't work, it just makes it go crash

------------------
If you fly, your a bird
If you swim, your a fish
If you walk, your an idiot.

Emulator? Are you on a PC or something? I've never heard of a PowerPC emulator for 680XXX Macs. DEADLY slow, probably.

------------------
See how they run like pigs from a gun, see how they fly...---Either a Beatles song or the thoughts of a Voinian Dreadnought captain during battle 🙂

Mister Spiffus wrote:
Why do you still play EV? Is it because you think EVO sucks or you can't run it?

Hmm. I never much cared for EVO. It looked graphically crude compared to EV, and the galaxy was awfully spread out and it took years to get anywhere and complete missions...but again, that's compared to EV. Had EVO come out first, I might have thought it tremendous, really cool. As it was, going back to the original ('classic,' even) Escape Velocity after trying Override was like reuniting with old friends. I was so overjoyed to see the good old Confed Frigate again. Ah, well. That's my story.

------------------
PlanetPhil
often in error, but never in doubt

the problem with EVO is that it didnt bring much new things (only the universe and some engine mods) but that doesnt make EVO worst than EV, i personally play both and i like both.

------------------
CaptainG3
AIM:CaptnG3

Mister Spiffus wrote:
**Emulator? Are you on a PC or something? I've never heard of a PowerPC emulator for 680XXX Macs. DEADLY slow, probably.

Yeah i'm on a PC but executor seems to run anything along as you have enough ram. The problem is the demo only lets me have 8 (even EV runs bad). And bieng in Australia means it is a lot harder to order. Oh, by the way, my friend runs EVO on his Quadra 610

------------------
If you fly, your a bird
If you swim, your a fish
If you walk, your an idiot.