EV: 3D

supervegitto wrote:
**Why don't we worry about an Escape Velocity Multiplayer first? It would be easier to make, and would still retain all of the aspects of Escape Velocity (instead of a completely new game, which an EV3D would make). And in my opinion, an EV/O Multiplayer would be a heck of alot more fun than a EV3D.

i agree that multiplayer should come first...and i've done A LOT of thinking on the subject and how to do that, but 3d is a thing that i think would just rock...imagine seeing a planet like Levo and then landing on it in a little shuttle craft. just look at the startup screen of EV...thats the sorta thing i mean.
just thinking about startup screen of EV...in the game itself, a rebel cruiser is about twice the size of a manta, in EV3D, i'd hope that the ship sizes would be more presice

------------------

Ummm...........
You see, its not like a programmer goes, hmm we need THIS first, so blah blah I will work on that.

People WORK on whatever THEY are capable of and willing to do. Network games and 3D games are very different in how they are designed. Network games are perfect for people with little imagination as they don't have to develop much of a plot to it.

A truly multi-player EV would be hard to make, first should it be EV or EVO? Next, lots of people would complain and cry for a Frozen Heart EV after they cried for an EVO one as so on.

Secondly, I have a Cruiser, you have a scoutship, so now I have to wait 3 days to jump, while you only take 1? How long between each jump? Am I going to have to spend 2-3 hours online just to get to another side of the galaxy?

There are LOTS of problems, it is possible but harder than you think. Rather than complain, go out and buy a C++ programming guide or kit and start yourself. Once you see how hard it is, then maybe you might realize why it hasn't been done....

------------------
Unix for business
Linux for development
BeOS for media
Mac OS for productivity
Windows for solitaire

Heh, its great that you guys are putting all your info into a 3d ev and a multiplayer EV, but here's a few thoughts.

First of all, making both a 3d and a multiplayer EV would be very not fun. I can't put it in precise technical details, but its been discussed before, and not only would that be a huge memory hog for a massive multiplayer EV, but it also wouldn't run on older machines (which the majority of us have still).

As for a 3d EV itself, it would be quite fun, but it would take a lot of coding (if you wanted to make an entirely new game). Almost as much as a multiplayer EV.

Bottom line: discussing all this is nice and fine and peachy, but unless your a programmer with a few years experience and knows exactly what you are doing, don't expect anything to come out of this.

But hey, we can all dream 😉

CS

------------------

Crap. Hadn't thought of the jump timing. See! That's why idiots like me shouldn't be allowed near others!

------------------
What do you mean, I've got to get a life?

well, i finally d/led exobattle...and i like it. if ambrosia made that kind of game with slightly better graphics (no offence to matt burch), then i would love them even more! 🙂

------------------

(quote)well, i finally d/led exobattle...and i like it. if ambrosia made that kind of game with slightly better graphics (no offence to matt burch), then i would love them even more!(quote)

there's no textures yet. and, exo battle doesn't have open gl support. drat for the ATI 128 cards!! actually, matt burch did put a little thing in the readme about the textures i believe. they're resource picts.

(da Mac)

------------------
(url="http://"http://209.67.19.99/~da_mac/orion/")()rion Productions(/url)
~ Robin ( (url="http://"mailto:funky_cheeze@usa.net")mailto:funky_cheeze@usa.net(/url)funky_cheeze@usa.net

hmmm... EV 3-D isn't a bad idea. But you have to consider some things first.

1. You have to work with Ambrosia :frown:
  2. You need to have some programmers that now how to do that type of work
  3. There are quite a few games LIKE this idea, so you MIGHT have to talk with them about royalties.
  4. You have to think of cost to make something like this.

those are just a few of the problems. It is kinda like trying to make an EV-M, and ambrosia wont build one like it.

Also getting it from Mac formatt to PC format isn't THAT hard, my brother is a programmer and does it all the time.

Hot damn, next class, cya all later

(is expecting to get flammed or yelled at)

------------------
Evil will always triamph over good... because good is dumb.

(for those that play UO, fill in chaos with evil, and order with good 🙂 )

Tor_of_chaos wrote:
**hmmm... EV 3-D isn't a bad idea. But you have to consider some things first.

1. You have to work with Ambrosia :frown:
  2. You need to have some programmers that now how to do that type of work
  3. There are quite a few games LIKE this idea, so you MIGHT have to talk with them about royalties.
  4. You have to think of cost to make something like this.

those are just a few of the problems. It is kinda like trying to make an EV-M, and ambrosia wont build one like it.

Also getting it from Mac formatt to PC format isn't THAT hard, my brother is a programmer and does it all the time.

Hot damn, next class, cya all later

(is expecting to get flammed or yelled at)

Why bother using the same old style of gaming as in EV? Why not have more features that would make EV/O look ancient? By making an EV INSPIRED game, you don't have to, nor do you owe anyone else money (unless you borrowed some source code 😉 ).

Cost? Wha??? Codewarrior isn't that expensive, and MPW is free. Now, you only need ships.... not hard to do.
Honestly, making games doesn't involve money, its simply having time to sit down and write the code, and not spending time boasting your ego saying you are going to do something you probably aren't going to finish.

Mac to PC conversion? Oh... you mean Mac OS to Windows right? 😉
First off, why aid the evil empire? Designing or converting software to Windows is aiding in the fight against innovation. Why not just distribute it on a 3.5", or 5.25" disk?
Also, I doubt your brother has converted something as large as a 3D game.

Why bother with a 3D-EV? Why not make a PPC space game LIKE EV in 3D? Imagion the possibilites with 3D object files... aaah.... 3D ship yards.... no more masks, sprites... only one single file. Who wouldn't enjoy being able to board one of your fighters temporarily? Or what about outfits that only worked on certain ships? Just tell what ID #s of the outfits a ship can have all voila... no more Emalghas with Phase Cannons....
And, of course... why use that stinky 2D map? 3D maps and radar are much much cooler....

As for land missions, uck. Thats twice as much (source code) programming, it really is... a game featuring both space and land would be huge and land missions would eat up alot of ram and need super hardware... unless....
You used a simple atmosphere to ground enviroment to do bombing or rescue or fighting missions. Avara's enviroment would be an example of this...
Sounds like something to add to a later version....

Anyways, I doubt anyone working for Ambrosia has the time to take on such a project. Its ALOT of work....

------------------
Unix for business
Linux for development
BeOS for media
Mac OS for productivity
Windows for solitaire

Heh, Mikee, you are right, it doesn't cost that much money. I just bought the codewarrior C book package with the online course for 150, now that ain't bad 😉

And of course, you need tons of time, and with that time you need to work 99% of the time and advertise and boast the last 1% of the time.

As for actually making a multiplayer EV. You DO need more than one person, you need several people with several different skills. And you can't just take even 6 guys who know a lot about C++ because they don't know jack about networking (which is essentially, the key unit to a multiplayer EV).

And finally, if you really want a multiplayer EV to be 3d as well, do so at your own stupidity, so that only the minority of us here can play it, make it a real memory hog, and be slow as f***ing hell over the net.

CS

------------------

As for land missions, uck. Thats twice as much (source code) programming, it really is... a game featuring both space and land would be huge and land missions would eat up alot of ram and need super hardware... unless....
You used a simple atmosphere to ground enviroment to do bombing or rescue or fighting missions. Avara's enviroment would be an example of this...
Sounds like something to add to a later version....

Use avara graphics??? AUUGH!!

------------------

I in no way support the idea of a 3D multiplayer game. Net games are far far different than single computer games, they only require a few bits and pieces of code for the technical things (ie sound tools...) and the rest can be done pretty much by one person.

It is very possible to design a non-networked 3D-ev(like) game to run on 100 MHz PPCs and up....
Really, all one needs to do is design the 'data' (code) part of the game, and then almost anyone could take it from there. As what Matt Burch did with EVO. Simply set up the game to read (and use) the non-source code data and 3DMF files, and then you are almost certain to have a finished game... all it would take is a simple "Res" programmer to take it from there.....

And Avara is a marvel to look that good and run on 25 MHz computers.

------------------
Unix for business
Linux for development
BeOS for media
Mac OS for productivity
Windows for solitaire

mikee J wrote:
And Avara is a marvel to look that good and run on 25 MHz computers.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
avara runs on 25 mhz machines??? wow! :eek:

------------------