Back Up your User Files: READ ON

Before you do a really risky hack (eg: steal 1.5 million from a bank account), open the uplink folder and inside there is a folder called"users", open that and duplicate your file ("admiral picard.usr" for example).

This way if you get caught, you can go back before you performed the hack.

------------------
CřmPuter_MaN-Hacks-
the_Uplink.._)0fjkIneter(Wa
rning:! Error with Server)
Conection Terminated By

Originally posted by Computer_Man:
**Before you do a really risky hack (eg: steal 1.5 million from a bank account), open the uplink folder and inside there is a folder called"users", open that and duplicate your file ("admiral picard.usr" for example).

This way if you get caught, you can go back before you performed the hack.

Yes, it's a good idea. It seems to work better if you move the backup file out of that directory.

------------------
r

But please note that this is cheating 🙂

------------------
I am both worried and saddened by nationwide news of increasing rates of anxiety and depression.
The creator of RedshirtX and InterNARC

Originally posted by Adriac:
**But please note that this is cheating:)

Saving your file isn't cheating. It's being prudent.

------------------
r

**But please note that this is cheating:)

It's called "saving your game". Most games allow you to do it, this one appropriately makes you think outside the box.

------------------
Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordian.
"You're dumb." -Rawzer to whitedevil and whitedevil2

Sorry, that's wrong. In this game when you die, you die. There is deliberately no save feature because it makes it too easy. If you do something the game doesn't normally let you do in order to make your game easier, is that not cheating?

.< Listen, there's nothing wrong with backing up, as long as you accept that you are not supposed to do so and doing so is cheating. That's all I asked. "But please note that this is cheating :)" Not, "Don't do this, it's cheating!" or "You aren't supposed to back up, that's just cheap, you suck." Just accept it.

------------------
I am both worried and saddened by nationwide news of increasing rates of anxiety and depression.

This coming from the creator of RedShirtX and InterNARC, both which make the game easier...anyway, I still consider it saving, though you can think what you want.

------------------

Did you even read what I just said? I go to all the trouble of that extra explanatory paragraph, and you just ignore it?

Let me spell it out, again. Cheating is fine by me. I recognize that RedshirtX can be used for cheating (although, and you probably won't believe this, in all honesty that is not its original intended purpose). That's cool. All I am saying is that backing up is cheating and you're just deluding yourself if you say that it - or any other cheat - is not.

------------------

(This message has been edited by Adriac (edited 06-09-2003).)

Well as the game is only single player "cheating" is a matter of personal taste, so arguing over it doesn't really do any good (but it can be fun). I have always backed up in case the usr file gets corrupted (not out of the question). 🙂

------------------
(url="http://"http://uplink.stewsburntmonkey.com")The Uplink Directory(/url)

Indeed, your user file can get corrupted.

And just so you know, I create the popular cheat plugs for PoG, i.e. gold, filter, and all the other ones that you press a button and get something, I do not dissaprove of it, I just do not find it to be cheating.

------------------

.<

Someone please tell me the real world public forum isn't this unreceptive.

...er...

Someone please tell me there's some way we can rise above the standards of American diplomacy...

------------------

SlaVitiCkus just stares, and decides that it is almost sleepy-time.

Files can get corrupted easily with Uplink. Whoever said I backed it up before every bank hack?

------------------

Originally posted by SlaVitiCkus:
**SlaVitiCkus just stares, and decides that it is almost sleepy-time.

You nailed that one. G'night.

------------------

Well, personally I agree with Adriac. Backing up is CHEATING!!! I back up my files only once at the very start of the game (in case of corruption) just so I don't have to go through the almost efforrtless process of creating a new one. I AM A VERY LAZY PERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😄 😛 😄 😛

------------------
So I says to young William, there were so many arrows up there you could't barely see the sun, but at least we were fighting in the shade.

I think backing up my file is the only way I can keep Uplink out of my trashcan, seriously. If I didn't, I would be back to the beginning so many times... And even if I got to the point where I was well-off, I would most likely not have as much fun as I would constantly be afraid of being "disavowed". I'm not saying that I usually aren't afraid of this, but this way I'd have a safe point to come back to. At this point, now that I'm pretty much at the top, I only back up before and after special missions (don't want to screw those up, now do I?). However though, I can see how this is viewed as cheating, but unfortunately for me, without backing up the game is too frustrating for me to play...

EDIT: Clarification

------------------
CI-I@()s
(url="http://"http://www.evula.org/world-of-cha0s/")The Homepage of Cha0s(/url)

(This message has been edited by CI-Ia0s (edited 06-10-2003).)

**Sorry, that's wrong. In this game when you die, you die. There is deliberately no save feature because it makes it too easy. If you do something the game doesn't normally let you do in order to make your game easier, is that not cheating?

If you want to call that "cheating" you may. I figure this is a game about hacking, so little work-arounds are all in the spirit of the game. Anyway, I save my games whenever possible, whether the game in question makes it easy or not.

------------------
r

I have a few things to say here:
#1: I origanaly thought of this idea because i would rob a bank and end up getting passive traced in one minute and disavowed. So when i figured out that i needed to fix the thing i was doing wrong, i would test my idea on a backed up file, so if i had gotten disavoewed on that one, i would still have my original copy that i could still play on from that point.

#2: i play alot of games where if you "die", you die, and i mean it. And 70% of those allow me to save at a certain point.

Just thought I'd add my thoughts here...

------------------
CřmPuter_MaN-Hacks-
Conection Terminated By

3rd: i would have to have the creator of Uplink tell me if the idea was cheating or not, beceause the could be no saving for 3 reasons:

1. They Forgot
2. The didnt want to because they thought it was "cheating"
3. Thecnical(very unlikely)

------------------
CřmPuter_MaN-Hacks-
Conection Terminated By

Alright, you convinced me, I guess it is a degree of cheating, but it isn't outright cheating. ChaOs has a point, too. I would probably be cursing and breaking stuff every time I saw that disavowment screen, and I doubt my computer would live through too many of them...so I still find it very useful.

------------------

Sorry, that's wrong. In this game when you die, you die. There is deliberately no save feature because it makes it too easy. If you do something the game doesn't normally let you do in order to make your game easier, is that not cheating?

You said that along time ago, Andriac, but you still stick to this. You are putting words into the creators mouths. Refer to #3 of my points.

------------------
CřmPuter_MaN-Hacks-
Conection Terminated By