How dead is Avara?

I wouldn't mind a new version of Avara... if it's carbon and not cocoa (and DEFINITELY not Windows). The other thing is that it has to offer the same advantage the old one did... compatibility with reasonably old hardware. I should write that...

To interject: Avara is very much dead. I like Avara; it's got great gameplay, passable graphics, excellent compatibility (anything but Windows), and amazing level creation. Still, Scarlet Swordfish is the only one I ever see on the server, on the occasion that I check up on it.

To Apple Core: Yes, a new version of Avara would be nice. However, I think that it would raise compatibility issues: if it was X-native, then us OS9 users couldn't run it without a separate version. Still, the prospect is tempting...

To Apple Core: Yes, a new version of Avara would be nice. However, I think that it would raise compatibility issues: if it was X-native, then us OS9 users couldn't run it without a separate version. Still, the prospect is tempting...

Carbon code is compatible with both 9 and X. Many developers (Blizzard, for example, with the SC X app) use Carbon and Cocoa interchangeably. But no, Carbon is not Cocoa. I'm just not all that keen on putting 8.6 on my 6500. Somebody needs to clean up that code... it's slow (that, and MY system file doesn't really need the battery power warning strings, but they're there anyway).

Well, you must admit that there would be coding problems trying to accomodate different systems, though.

Well, you must admit that there would be coding problems trying to accomodate different systems, though.

Yeah... something to do with processing priorities of different things, besides the Registry, bane of all things useful. I won't touch it, though.

Avara is not dead. There are still people playing it. Even myself. I started playing it in '97 and I'm still playing it. :blink:

Since then I've grown up, obtained my Computer Science degree, and developed multimedia apps for a gaming company. 🆒

Avara is one of the greatest games ive ever played! I don't think its dead, and i realllly wish ambrosia would make an Avara 2. I don't care if it had the same graphics, in fact, i like the graphics as they are. All i want is to be able to run it on os x(i can't get classic to work).

I still try to play it. But I've been really busy with school and friends and stuff.

btw, what are the values of the poll? Is one the "most dead" or the "least dead"?

I assumed 10 was "most dead" and 1 was "least dead".