Tyrant or Silverfox?

Who's the better level designer?

Poll: Who's the better level designer? (10 member(s) have cast votes)
Who's the better level designer?
Silverfox
(4 votes [40.00%])
Percentage of vote: 40.00%
Tyrant
(3 votes [30.00%])
Percentage of vote: 30.00%
Other
(3 votes [30.00%])
Percentage of vote: 30.00%

I say Tyrant, Consul Bob says Silverfox. Also, Malkalvian is not a valid answer !!!
🙂

Malk or Cowboy

Plastic Chicken?

Of course, I can't say I'm fond of Ben-Not-Hur or whatever that was.

My favorite designers are:

1. Tyrant
2. Mondo
3. Malk
4. Silverfox
5. ME! (As in me, not killme, Katana!)

Why do you support Tyrant, anyhow?

Mondo is a very surreal designer-I don't like his stuff that much. Malk is okay-naturally, I support Silverfox.

Plastic Chicken is also a very good designer.

As for "Me", heh, well, I can't really support you without seeing your latest works.

I need to get back into the level design field...it's been too long.

-§torm

Well, Tyrant's levels are very playable. Mondo is actually probably my number one favorite, his levels look awesome and are very playable. I hate to say it, but I'm moving toward Mondo's style, so you probably won't like my levels much. They're kinda've like huge mountains, with lots of goodies and good color schemes. I'll send you them later. BTW right now I can't login to your server 😞

Sorry for the double post. The Avara forum isn't very active.

Anyways, has anyway seen any of Tyrant's crazy old betas? So cool. Like Windshire, where you sneak into a bank. And stuff like that. See me on Avara, I'll send one or two of 'em to you if you ask politely.

Personally, I must say that the Codex levels are my favorites. I don't know, actually, who made them, but they are amazing. The level designs are plotted out very well, and the simplicity of them allows for easy playability for all skill levels.

The Codex is by Tyrant, the best level designer ever. Take a look at Medievos for a change of pace 😉

Ah. In that case, Tyrant. votes

Yay! I finally beat "The Keys" by Mondo. I suggest you dl it, it's very...entertaining.

Tyrant's are more played, so he gets my vote. However, I always liked silverfox's designs. They have a lot of character, often almost profound.

Malkavian made the most classic levels. Random designers made the rest of the classics.
Mondo had a strange sense of beauty in his colors, and often made huge and clever levels.
Tetra's Oddities are strangely classic as odd.
The Geezers made a lot of great stuff. Balledness, anyone?

And then, I did everything else except normal. Haha. At one point I planned to make a normal level...haha. Phooey to that idea, let's play Yerb.

Aw, Data Path is normal enough. And it owns Showdown any day. In fact, all of your levels just plain own.
I don't think, though, that there is any one best level dsigner. (That's why I voted "Other" :P)
And even though Dan (Sphinx) can be a jerk, he is a brilliant level designer. What he does is mind-numbing.

end butt kissing session

Data Path owns. GET ON AVARA!!!

To everyone who came to my server: I'M BACK AGAIN! GET BACK ON AVARA THIS INSTANT!

Which level set was Windshire in again? I can't remember for the life of me.

Hmm... I don't know either!

But welcome to the boards.

Windshire is in the set Derelict.

Thanks, I've been looking for that for awhile.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Tyrant. Not only was he very talented but he was also a really nice guy. Many "famous" level designers were jerks. I was fond of his abnormal levels which weren't simply gimmicks as with Tetras levels (which I loved experimenting in on my own, but they weren't exactly great playing with others), there was actually solid gameplay there. His normal levels were great too.

Silverfox remains a good friend of mine, I was a fan of his levels too, but even he will tell you Tyrant was better. But Fosfori was a classic set and many of his other levels were great fun.

Some of the most memorable levels was when these two got together to work on something... Fort Warfare and all that.. and to a lesser extent, Dildensburg 😉

I hated Mondos multiplayer levels which look good but didn't perform well. However I loved his solo levels, I found them very enchanting. He was working on a sequel to The Mine. I got a sneak preview of it, and it was looking fantastic (I loved the original Mine). Unfortunately, he decided to give up the project due to lack of feedback from his previous levels (this was shortly after the release of The Keys) so he had little motivation (even with me and a few others cheering him on). Shame, I would have loved to see the finished product.

Malk was a good level designer but I got plain sick of playing his levels over and over again. Damn Bwadi.

I'm afraid I share similar thoughts of Tetra with Plastic Chicken (no offense dude!) While I get plenty of enjoyment by playing the levels on my own and just fooling around, playing his levels in multiplayer (even the ones designed for multiplayer) left a bit to be desired.

Except in Data Path 😉

Since this is the only people that have been discussed, I'll end with that.

This post has been edited by Cycle : 06 July 2005 - 08:52 PM

😄 HEYO DAR, HOW R U GENTLEMNE. WEENAH!!!