open source of AVARA

Originally posted by Ragnarok:
**(snip)

You say we have no organized programming group? well, as of now we dont. But, however, Aftershock was an example of what we can do without a corporate umbilical cord.

(snip)

-Ragnarok**

You're actually referencing AfterShock as an example? Really?

Ok, let's use AfterShock as an example. It has remained in perpetual beta version because the group working on it lost interest in it. And I don't mean that as a slam against the folks who worked on it - I mean that as an example of people having a good idea - work tirelessly to get it right - and still can't bring it to a final candidate.

That's one of the reasons you haven't seen a posting of the beta version of AS here. We (I?) elected to wait for the final version of 1.5 - and it has yet to show up.

------------------
When you're right 90% of the time, you can disregard the other 3%

heh silly people. Your focus shouldn't be on the src, as moki stated it wouldn't be worth while to release the src. for many reasons..
1: the code isn't that great (at the time yes, not now though)

2: with todays technology and advancements starting from scratch (hint opengl) would be best

3: open source is not always the best thing, in some cases it has helped (apache, linux / bsd kernel) in other instances it has done more harm then good (quake, marathon)

4: the src is just a means to implement the idea
meaning, that its avara's gameplay that made it great and fun to play.

the part i find most saddening is that instead of devoting your energies to starting a development team to make an avara clone (which is acceptable, considering most of ambrosia's first products were clones themselves), you whine on this board.

there are many examples of companies keeping applications closed source, yet the community (meaning us/we) have took it upon themselves to create an alternative or even something similar.

I came here cause i was an advid avara player at one time, and still play occasionally and wanted to see what the community was up to. but instead I see nothing but whiners / bitches. And as i type this i stop and ponder, just how many of you actually even register avara (legally ofcourse).

and on a closeing note, i see only one good reason to release avara's source, and that would be to share/use it as an example to fellow mac developers on creating a simple (in todays standards of course) 3D application.

ps: please excuse all mispelling and poor grammar

Originally posted by rebelswin_85:
**Andrew, or someone knowledgeable:
I actually could care less about open-source Avara. If Avara were anymore difficult to run (machine-wise), then my LAN parties wouldn't be very big. What I would like is for someone to tell me how difficult it would be to up the max-players to say ten or twelve? Really, is it that hard? I would really like that one small change.

As I understand it, Avara is a peer-to-peer networkable game versus a client-server type game. Peer-to-peer means each machine is sending packets to every other machine in the current game.

Given the time Avara was written, and the machines it was intended to be playable on, I guess a max of 6 was reasonable. However, even with the increase of computing power of today's G3s and G4s, to increase the number of peers in the game would have to be (I'm guessing here) be a substantial rewrite.

From the Networking Interface through to the User Interface, everything would have to be rewritten.

At this point in Avara's life, why bother?

If your LAN parties want to grow bigger than 6, just set up two servers and have/let people bounce between them. But as far as an Avara with more than 6 players in the game, I'd guess it's not going to happen.

------------------
When you're right 90% of the time, you can disregard the other 3%

if someone ever organizes a team, there's a nifty 3d engine at virtually3d.com

i couldn't lead a team yet because i don't have enough experiance in c/c++ yet.

-plastic chicken

i see where andrew is coming from with the idea of mayhem, it might work out if we had a INBAS (Inter-National Bereau of Avara Standards) that would regulate the release of avara clones etc.

also, the avara comunity is MUCH smaller that the quake or marathon community

Thanks for your answer.

If your LAN parties want to grow bigger than 6, just set up two servers and have/let people bounce between them.
Thanks for the suggestion. Now I'm going to hop over to EV B&B; to ask about other good LAN games...

------------------
"Get with the krizapee taste of Rocket Fuel malt liqueur. Rocket Fuel's got the upstate prison flavor that keeps you ugly all night. So when you wanna get sick, remember: Nothing makes your feet stank like Rocket Fuel malt liquer. Damn! it's krizapee."

What about those e-mails from Juri, Andrew? See my previous post.

------------------

Originally posted by Norinel:
**What about those e-mails from Juri, Andrew? See my previous post.

Exactly why should Andrew comment on emails from Juri here? He's said something about he did have a few emails from Juri.

If those emails contained discussions about Avara, in any regards, I would think they would keep quiet about it until something is agreed upon. And don't take that as saying any discussion is going on at all.

(This message has been edited by Taz! (edited 12-05-2000).)

I faintly remember Avara, but I have to admit I didn't play it much. Howerver, if people really want the source, and Ambrosia doesn't want to throw away money on support, and wants only qualified people to work on it...
then... (bracing himself for an ass-woopin')
why not charge for the source? That might offset cost to Ambrosia and it would result in only dedicated and knowledgeable people buying it (maybe).

-Austin

PS: I disagree with people's evaluations of the Marathon source. Granted, it's been considerable fragmented, but all it really needs is for someone authoritative to step in and collect everything and combine a little, but some neat things have come out of it (many of the limitations of the mapping engine have been removed, little graphic niceties have been added, etc...)

------------------

Heh. Only one who posted here person seems to know some C.
That's not enough to completly re-write a networkable 3D game.

------------------
"Give me a large enough hard drive, a fast enough modem, and I can download the web!"

Originally posted by aschaaf_86:
Heh. Only one who posted here person seems to know some C.
That's not enough to completly re-write a networkable 3D game.

Hey! I have a book on C and I read the first ten chapters or so. 😉

------------------
"Get with the krizapee taste of Rocket Fuel malt liqueur. Rocket Fuel's got the upstate prison flavor that keeps you ugly all night. So when you wanna get sick, remember: Nothing makes your feet stank like Rocket Fuel malt liquer. Damn! it's krizapee."

I don't want to get too deep here, but I side with andrew. I don't think that releasing Avara (source code) would do Ambrosia any good. It seems that releasing source codes (from what andrew said) did nothing for the company that released it. And perhaps harmed them. Anyway, that's my say.

And Ragnorok, your talking to the president of a corporation here! No hard feelings, but I suggest you watch you tongue.