Antares 0.8.0 Released

Antares 0.8.0 has been released. This release runs on Mac OS X 10.9+ and, for the first time, Linux. For the time being, Linux users will need to build from source.

Aside from the addition of Linux support, Mac users with Retina displays will notice some graphical improvements (limited for the time being to windowed mode).

Note: there is a known issue in this release relating to dual-GPU MacBooks. For reasons that are still under investigation, performance is very bad when using the dedicated Nvidia GPU. You can use a program such as gfxCardStatus to run on integrated graphics instead.

@pallas-athene, on 27 June 2015 - 09:25 PM, said in Antares 0.8.0 Released:

Antares 0.8.0 has been released. This release runs on Mac OS X 10.9+ and, for the first time, Linux. For the time being, Linux users will need to build from source.

Aside from the addition of Linux support, Mac users with Retina displays will notice some graphical improvements (limited for the time being to windowed mode).

Note: there is a known issue in this release relating to dual-GPU MacBooks. For reasons that are still under investigation, performance is very bad when using the dedicated Nvidia GPU. You can use a program such as gfxCardStatus to run on integrated graphics instead.

Old Ambrosia junkie here--for a variety of reasons I have a Windows 10 PC now (I know, I know). I was wondering if it is possible to compile the source to run on Windows? I could even try to do it myself with a little direction. I'm aware of emulators of course but I'd prefer something "native," so to speak.

It's definitely not possible yet. I haven't investigated it because I don't have a Windows machine myself, and that makes it very hard to get anything off the ground. If you want to check in at Issue 79, I can provide at least a little more direction—all that I'm really certain of is that mingw is part of the answer.

@pallas-athene, on 27 June 2015 - 09:25 PM, said in Antares 0.8.0 Released:

Man, I used to play Ares when I was a kid and I loved this game! I just recently got the MacBook Pro and downloaded the Antares (most recent one, and great job by the way). There were absolutely no errors or anything that I noticed and the game ran perfectly normal. It was really nice to play it again but I've been reading on the forums about a "Hera" program? It's probably because I'm a newbie but I have no idea where to find this or how to use it. I'm just trying to edit some really basic stuff (like maybe damage on a weapon or maybe the speed of a ship) just to mess around a little bit. I'm definitely not trying to make a whole new race or anything, that's probably out of my league! It would be really nice if someone could help a man out! Thank you so much!

This post has been edited by FisherMan4 : 16 July 2016 - 01:49 PM