Deep in space, war still has a name

QUOTE (gavin83209 @ Nov 14 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Found a bug. In the briefing for mission 1, holding down the "1" key to bring up the specs of the cruiser won't do anything. If you have a copy of the screenshots folder in an actual copy of Ares, you can see what I mean in the file "Mission Screenshot.pict". If not, there is a lower quality version of the pichere. Oops, I didn't read the bug list thoroughly. Sorry. My other bug was also known about.

Test platform: 1 GHz Titanium PowerBook G4, 1 GB RAM, Mobility Radeon 9000.

I had only known that that feature could be activated by clicking on the portrait. I found out about being able to do it via the keyboard when I read the source, though it still doesn't quite register as the "real" way.

By the way, I'm going to be away for the next two weeks, so it might be a while longer before the next release.

Woah!
This looks like it's worth a look.
Been away for a while and look at what I missed!
Downloading now. I'll run it on 10.4, 10.5, and see if it'll run on 10.3.9 though that last is a bit obsolete these days.

Heh, two Ares-X projects underway.
Nothing like a space race to get things moving... :rolleyes:

@Patrick
Hi Pat, long time no see!

0.3.0 will be released this coming week, with music and sound, but there are two things I wanted to clear up first:

• Currently, I have the default preferences set to play music during idle time (the title screen, mission briefings, scrolling text) but not while playing the game (playing the game). Is that accurate? It seems like it would be a shame to have people miss out on the music by default.
  • I rewrote a lot (well, all) of the code that transitions between different screens in the interface. In some places, I've preserved a screen fade, but I don't think I have in all of them. I know that the music fades out at times as well (I don't think it ever fades in). Would someone be able to compile a list of transitions which fade-in/fade-out, and whether the music does too?

If someone's got an OS9 machine handy, I'd love to preserve the correct behavior in these respects.

QUOTE (Pallas Athene @ Sep 12 2010, 03:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

0.3.0 will be released this coming week, with music and sound.

Shiny. Good work!

QUOTE (Pallas Athene @ Sep 11 2010, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(*)Currently, I have the default preferences set to play music during idle time (the title screen, mission briefings, scrolling text) but not while playing the game (playing the game). Is that accurate? It seems like it would be a shame to have people miss out on the music by default.

I believe the game music was playing the appropriate song all the time by default - including while playing the game, but I could be mistaken.

The music does not play during the game. If you doubt it I can fire my MDD G4 into OS 9 in a jiffy here.

QUOTE (JacaByte @ Sep 12 2010, 07:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The music does not play during the game. If you doubt it I can fire my MDD G4 into OS 9 in a jiffy here.

There is most definitely an option for music to play in the game, as you can see in NMS's speed run (citation needed, but go on YouTube and find it kk?).

I just don't remember whether it's defaulted to play or to not play. I also have an OS 9 dedicated computer I can check, but meh, I'm too busy unpacking.

Double post >_<

This post has been edited by adam_0 : 12 September 2010 - 01:29 PM

By default, music is not enabled in the game, though there is an option to turn it on. If in doubt, I can check on one of my OS 9 PowerBooks.

Don't worry, I trust you. As I said, that's what I currently have, so I at some point determined that the default should be off. I just find it a little surprising in retrospect; I'm almost inclined to make an incompatible change and have the default be on (only almost, though).

I'm still curious about the cross-fades, but if no one is interested in booting to OS9 at the moment, it's not a blocker for 0.3.0.

QUOTE (Pallas Athene @ Sep 11 2010, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• I rewrote a lot (well, all) of the code that transitions between different screens in the interface. In some places, I've preserved a screen fade, but I don't think I have in all of them. I know that the music fades out at times as well (I don't think it ever fades in). Would someone be able to compile a list of transitions which fade-in/fade-out, and whether the music does too?

Totally missed that part, sorry. All of the opening screens (A game by Nathan Lamont, etc.) fade in and out. The main menu does not fade at all except a fade out if you click on "Demo." Level select fades out. The win screen fades out and the load screen fades in and the load screen fades in really, really fast (<0.2 seconds). No sound fades at all as far as I can tell. I can't comment on net play at all.

This post has been edited by gavin83209 : 13 September 2010 - 06:08 PM

Thanks, that's very helpful (though, I've yet to implement the load screen at all...). The two other transitions I'm wondering about are: from the briefing screen (whether proceeding to the game, or canceling with ESC), and skipping through a scrolling text screen (such as before the first training mission). I assume all of the various exits from the game (win, lose, skip tutorial) follow the same behavior as the win screen.

Turns out there's enough hairiness that I don't think it's worth the effort to sort out the cross-fades yet. I've put together a graph to try to document it for later, but I won't worry about it for 0.3.

Attached File(s)