My Favorite Things

This year's Christmas present is the sounds from Ares: that is, all of the sounds, not just the ones that were distributed in the Creative Commons release of the Ares Data. Of course, I can't post them here; Nathan explains this in readme from the CC release:

Some sounds have been excluded because I do not have the right transfer their licenses, i.e. they are not sufficiently original works. See "Sounds That Were Excluded.txt."

However, if you can get a zipped archive of the commercial Ares release, then you're now covered. I've written a tool called rezin which can do the extraction on the client side. That means that Xsera and Antares will be able to make use of the full set of sounds from the original game, since we can legally distribute rezin with the game, and get the sounds separately. In the future, rezin should work on all systems—even Linux and Windows—though so far I've only compiled and tested it on Snow Leopard.

The download on the rezin project page includes a command-line utility and a man page. It's really intended for programmers, not for direct use by end-users, but if you're curious, you can put the Ares zip file into the rezin directory and try out these commands in the terminal:

CODE

go to the rezin directory

cd Downloads/rezin-1.0

look at the documentation (press 'q' to quit)

man ./rezin.1

list all of the sounds in "Ares Sounds"

rezin -z 'Ares-1.2.0.zip,Ares 1.2.0 ƒ/Ares Data ƒ/Ares Sounds' ls 'snd '

extract the sound "Let's Go"

rezin -z 'Ares-1.2.0.zip,Ares 1.2.0 ƒ/Ares Data ƒ/Ares Sounds' convert 'snd ' 10312 > 10312.aiff

open it in QuickTime

open -a QuickTime\ Player 10312.aiff

P.S. There's no icon for rezin, but if there was, it would be a dinosaur coming out of an original Macintosh.

Excellent work, Pallas. Now we can all enjoy the original Ares sounds in Xsera and Antares.

Great work, Pallas! A merry Christmas present indeed 🙂

This is excellent, thanks Chris.

Crash report. I'm using 10.5.8 on a PowerBook G4 and I got an error that rezin crashed. The error is below.

$ ./rezin -z 'Ares-1.2.0.zip,Ares 1.2.0 ƒ/Ares Data ƒ/Ares Sounds' ls 'snd '
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _fopen$UNIX2003
Referenced from: /Users/gavin/Desktop/rezin-1.0/./rezin
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: _fopen$UNIX2003

Trace/BPT trap

Very nice work otherwise, though. It will be very helpful in the sound departments on both projects, I am sure.

QUOTE (Pallas Athene @ Dec 25 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

P.S. There's no icon for rezin, but if there was, it would be a dinosaur coming out of an original Macintosh.

Something like this? (Please forgive my poor Photoshopping skills.) It's not particularly high-res at 128x128, but that was the size of the enhanced Mini vMac OS X icon. I couldn't find a bigger version.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by gavin83209 : 29 December 2009 - 12:37 AM

Wow. Nicely done, Mr. Chris Pallas Sfiera

and you should definitely use Gavin's icon 🙂

QUOTE (gavin83209 @ Dec 28 2009, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crash report. I'm using 10.5.8 on a PowerBook G4 and I got an error that rezin crashed. The error is below.

$ ./rezin -z 'Ares-1.2.0.zip,Ares 1.2.0 ƒ/Ares Data ƒ/Ares Sounds' ls 'snd '
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _fopen$UNIX2003

dyld: Symbol not found: _fopen$UNIX2003

Trace/BPT trap

Very nice work otherwise, though. It will be very helpful in the sound departments on both projects, I am sure.

Basically, the meaning of that is that I was over-optimistic about rezin's ability to run on pre-10.6 systems 🙂

I've released rezin 1.1 on the rezin site. This represents a huge amount of behind-the-scenes work, plus one user-visible feature: namely, that it should run on 10.4 and later. 10.4 support is untested, but it definitely works on my Powerbook G4 (running 10.5).

Works beautifully on both Tiger and Leopard on my dual boot system. Thanks for the update.