Ares Music and MP3's

Originally posted by Laguna:
**Ok, it's been released as well as that net portrait thingy.

Thanks. Yeah, that "net portrait thingy" is just a bunch of icons I found among the files I rescued from my Mac hard drive after my Mac died, so I decided to release them since, well, they were there.

Originally posted by Admiral Grammaticus:
**Ack -- that mp3 has nasty static in it. It sounds like the high-hat sound got garbled. How did you make the mp3?

Well, it was a long, roundabout process actually. I actually first converted these on my Mac by using ResEdit (with Forker) and manually copying the hex data from the MADH resource to the data fork of file. Then my Mac died, so I lost that. Later, I discovered through my Mac emulation adventures that HFVExplorer can export the resource fork of a file intact, so I just copied the MADH's one at a time, clipped off the header/footer garbage, and played it in Quadmation's slapped-together Windows music player, WinPlayer (I never bought PlayerPro since all I used it for was listening to Ares music when I had my Mac). My sound card came with a nice recording app, so I just recorded the music to WAV files. Then I encoded them.

So, yeah, somewhere along the way, I'm sure something happened to them.

Um, would someone else like to upload the music? All I have is an ISDN, and it'd probably be quicker for someone else to do it.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that you can hear more of the instruments in this music than in the game? Or is it just the fact that I have a crappy machine running Ares?

Oh, and lastly, you can call me Mike. I no longer use the name Firebird too much; that was way back when the boards first opened that I decided to use it.

------------------
Mike Lee (Firebird)
Visit Cymltaneous Solutions: (url="http://"http://cymlsol.cyml.cjb.net")http://cymlsol.cyml.cjb.net(/url)

The sound quality of the mp3s is distinctly more distinct than that found in the game itself, so you can definitely hear the instruments better. Then again, that's hardly surprising given the superiority of the format. Kudos, Admiral.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only
Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

I find that you can usually hear more instruments in mp3s of game music played out of the game than you do in it. Another example that comes to mind is Unreal, there's some stuff there you never hear in the game itself.

Perhaps its a limiting thing in games that only allows so many instruments at a time, or just a limit on the quality.

------------------
"I'm a controversial figure. My friends either dislike me or hate me."

I will upload the music to the addons 🙂
EDIT: Done
------------------
"It could be argued that MacOS X is less of an operating system and more of a screen saver (puts up pretty images for you to stare at while preventing you from actually getting work done)."
-mcb

(This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-15-2002).)

Thanks Patrick. I'll make the remainder available on Tuesday.

The AIFFs the MP3s were made from were "rendered" at higher resolution than they are in the game itself, and with a small amount of reverb. Some things may sound better, other things may sound worse -- there are probably flaws that were obscured by the lower resolution.

------------------

I've uploaded the remaining three songs to the Addons.

------------------
"It could be argued that MacOS X is less of an operating system and more of a screen saver (puts up pretty images for you to stare at while preventing you from actually getting work done)."
-mcb