Death of a Legend

With the notable exception of Frozen Heart and Femme Fatale.

It's a general thing in the world of mods, though. The more ambitious plugs are generally undertaken by teams. It needs good coordination, though.

------------------
Sundered Angel ,
The One and Only
Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy

It's only good if one person completely dominates the makeup of the plug's universe and storyline. If you do things by committee, then the story becomes less unique and more an amalgamation of many ideas. For me, the story of a universe is everything. If it's well told, well presented, leaves one asking questions etc... I will remember the story of something rather than it's graphics or sound.

------------------
There are only 3 kinds of people: those who can count, and those who can't.

Please check your email SA.

------------------

The essential problem of Ares is that it didn't start with enough and doesn't include the tools to create more. If Ares had high strategy comparable to games like Myth, Starcraft, or even Command and Conquer, it would have a longer life, but ship control is too coarse and there are only a few ship classes to choose from. If Ares had enjoyable ship-to-ship shooting action, it would survive as a deathmatch kind of game, but three weapons per ship, with few variations on how each weapon works, can't compete with a game like Unreal Tournament that has 10 weapons with 2 firing modes each, nor can empty space as a playing field compare with complex buildings that have ambush points and sniper towers. If Hera was more user-friendly, and the game engine easily editable, some group of fans could have salvaged something.

Frankly, Ares was doomed from the start to gain a following and then quickly lose it. I'm willing to help a little on trying to create interesting new things with Hera, because I've already got Ares registered and have nothing to lose but my sanity, but I don't expect that Ares will ever turn around and become a smash hit that swamps Game Ranger.

Before you go shoot yourselves, though, don't forget - even if Ares is "dead", we can still have plenty of fun creating and playing plugins. I greatly enjoyed playing Footsteps of Pyrrhus (although I thought the difficulty was pretty extreme at points). There's no reason that we can't all enjoy the game as best we can, and I think there's plenty of room for enjoyability.

People were talking about how Ares was "dead" back when I stopped being a web board admin (Yes, I'm that Replicant) and went on to other things, and that was a year and a half ago.

Edit: Ares II is not a bad idea. The basic idea of a strategy/action fusion is a good one, and since we're all here it obviously can attract buyers. I don't know what Nathan Lamont thinks about a sequel, though, and he's the one who really matters.

(This message has been edited by Replicant (edited 12-23-2001).)

What about Pale? In my opinion, the best plugin ever made for EV. It was made by Ben Singley.

Originally posted by Sundered Angel:
**With the notable exception of Frozen Heart and Femme Fatale.

It's a general thing in the world of mods, though. The more ambitious plugs are generally undertaken by teams. It needs good coordination, though.

------------------
flargh: slank - you realize, of course, that you've just dragged about 40,000 volts of static electricity off the tip of your vacuum cleaner attachments over your CPU.
-The Construct, Gameranger

Strange I've never heard of Pale. Could you briefly describe it for me?

------------------