Strategies...help me please.

I just want to know if I should know some brutally effective tactics, sure I can use my own imagination...
Also, is there a really easy strategy for dealing with Flak Drones? Capturing them is really hard if it's protected by ships, they vape the Engineer Pod in seconds. I have experimented with using hit-and-fade but it doesn't always work. I usually also lose a lot of Cruisers in the process to keep the guarding ships busy and firing away from the Engineer Pod.

I just registered Ares and I have a small question about the missions as well; are you against those Gaitori the entire game? Do you ever fight any other races?

------------------

(This message has been edited by Cotton Mouse (edited 03-02-2001).)

Originally posted by The_virus:
**I just want to know if I should know some brutally effective tactics, sure I can use my own imagination...
Also, is there a really easy strategy for dealing with Flak Drones? Capturing them is really hard if it's protected by ships, they vape the Engineer Pod in seconds. I have experimented with using hit-and-fade but it doesn't always work. I usually also lose a lot of Cruisers in the process to keep the guarding ships busy and firing away from the Engineer Pod.

I just registered Ares and I have a small question about the missions as well; are you against those Gaitori the entire game? Do you ever fight any other races?

1. The best strategy in Ares is simply to sit on your base building up a huge force.

2. To capture a guarded flak drone, send 8-10 engineer pods at once.

3. Yes, you stop fighting the Gaitori after Chapter 6, except for a couple of ships helping the other bad guys.

------------------
GR Name: Patrick
To get Ares 1.2.0b6(for plugins) go to:
http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum13...TML/000131.html

**-snip-

Nice Sig. Not.

------------------
'What day is it, Kif?'
'Monday sir...'
'Stardate Monday.....point two'

For Flak Drones, the tactic I use (because it's more fun) is to send 1 or 2 engineering pods, then get a lot of cruisers to follow you. Hyperjump areound and around the flak drone, drawing fire from the engineering drones. It's pretty fun.

------------------
-=MoC 94:19=-
"Cheaters don't really win, and winners don't really cheat. Unless you're talking politics." -Durandal
"Fate protects fools, children, and ships named Enterprise." -Riker to Bridge Crew
(This message has been edited by Pallas Athene (edited 11-27-2830).)

Yeah, I do that too, I use that because it's fun, but I also try and get the attention of any guarding ships.

OK, I have another question; In the first mission of Part 2, where you have to break apart this big asteriod, how do quickly pick up the samples? The Astrominer breaks up the asteroid into medium chunks, then small samples, but they always hurtle into space at high speed, I try to chase down these samples, but the Astrominer always gets mobbed by those Carinthians? in their yachts and fighters, and that heavy what-ever-it-is. How can I get these samples?

------------------

(This message has been edited by Cotton Mouse (edited 03-02-2001).)

Could you please change the sig, Virus? It doesn't necessarily need to be that graphic...

------------------
For all your mouse needs

**how do quickly pick up the samples?...the Astrominer always gets mobbed by those Carinthians?

Take command of the astrominer at the start of the mission add get the HVC to follow you. Break up the asteroid and TWO of the medium chunks but don't chase after the small chunks until you have. Dodge the Cantharans by going to hyperlight and come out of hyperlight near the small chunks, pick them up an get back into hyperlight before the Cantharans catch up. Repeat for all the chunks.

------------------
'Take the piston rings out of my kidneys,
The connecting rods out of my brain.
Take the cam-shaft from out of my back-bone,
And assemble the engine again,'
-Traditional airman's song

Originally posted by Cotton Mouse:
**Could you please change the sig, Virus? It doesn't necessarily need to be that graphic...

Rodger, Wilco, it is done.
I think I just went through every one of my posts and deleted my old signature, took some doing, but I think I was pretty thurough. I couldn't use the search feature so I had to track down all of my posts manually. I'm just saying this to demonstrate that I don't want to offend anyone, and that I'm committed to that cause. Sorry for the inconvenience, I'm not a bay guy, you'll see, I'll prove it somehow...
------------------
Captain of the "Rebellion's Demise"

(This message has been edited by The_virus (edited 03-03-2001).)

Thanks, make sure you check your e-mail.

------------------
Someone's after you, personally. One word; two syllables; rhymes with Psycho.

Yay! I am cleansed! Just a quick question, Cotton Mouse, is your signature a quote from one of the Marathon games? It sounds like something the AI "Tycho" would've said.

------------------

Yes... I was thinking of using Tycho's "In the end, you'll be no better off." quote, but I went with this one. This quote is from durandal, not tycho. He was warning you. I don't find it especially relevant or funny, and I'd change my sig to " I'll get you in the night. , but I think the federales would be after me =).

------------------
Someone's after you, personally. One word; two syllables; rhymes with Psycho.

Check out the Common Chat area, I am going to start a topic about Marathon, I want to see what everyone here thinks of those games.

------------------

Originally posted by Cotton Mouse:
**Someone's after you, personally. One word; two syllables; rhymes with Psycho.

Actually, Psycho should be bold and red, the rest green. Since you can't chage he color, just make it bold. I've got a quote from Marathon 2 too, of course. Maybe I'll change my second quote...

BTW, I didn't have to look for the terminal (in M2 or DTB). If you're working on MInv, you've got the terminals pretty much memorized.

------------------
-=MoC 94:19=-
"Cheaters don't really win, and winners don't really cheat. Unless you're talking politics." -Durandal
"Fate protects fools, children, and ships named Enterprise." -Riker to Bridge Crew
(This message has been edited by Pallas Athene (edited 11-27-2830).)

-(redundant)-

(This message has been edited by Pallas Athene (edited 03-05-2001).)

**Check out the Common Chat area, I am going to start a topic about Marathon, I want to see what everyone here thinks of those games.

People think enough of it to make a total conversion for Ares...

------------------
A connection (ansible?) **was left;
awaiting the next quiet peace; **
and though destroyed by the threes,
it will scream over the void one time.
-Thoth

Well, I just posted this strategy in Make Way, but it's brutally effective in When the Iorn is Hot, Into The Fire, and maybe some missions after Make Way(I'm currently stuck on that one).

How it works is very simple. Select the enemie's base as a target, and warp over there. Build ships and send them to the enemy base as fast as you can while blowing the crap out of all the enemy ships in the proximity. Eventually, if you're a good pilot you'll gain control of the space around the base. Then you just lay siege to the base and send over a transport. It is a little risky, as you have to be careful not to let any transports or Engineerign pods escape though.

------------------
Cuz I'm a 21st Century Digital Boy
I don't know the Monty Python but I've got a lotta toys
My daddy is a Renegade, his name is Hellcat Helian
Wait a second...

So you blockade the enemy planet...interesting...that's usually how I win, after building up the needed fleet, I masacre the defences, then sit around waiting for the Transports to make it. The enemy never gives up so I always end up destroying the ships they try and build, they last maybe 8 seconds. I'll try using the tactic right away, thanks for the suggestion.

------------------
A ship that should appear in EV Nova:
"Selur Rotceh Niatpac"

Posted by Pallas Athene:
For Flak Drones, the tactic I use (because it's more fun) is to send 1 or 2 engineering pods, then get a lot of cruisers to follow you. Hyperjump areound and around the flak drone, drawing fire from the engineering drones. It's pretty fun.

ok, let me get this straight. Flack drones do not shoot at engineering pods. By "drawing fire" your are just making the flack not hit you and blow up the engineering pods. smart...

------------------
just take my post, and imagine everything is speeled right.
nickel count: 10

The only time that tactic makes any sense is when the flak drones are being guarded.

------------------
Cuz I'm a 21st Century Digital Boy
I don't know the Monty Python but I've got a lotta toys
My daddy is a Renegade, his name is Hellcat Helian
Wait a second...

You dont know the Monty Python?

------------------
"Learn about art captian,
when you understand a
species' art you
understand that species"