PoG FC & Another Question

First of all, congratulations and thanks to the PoG team and all the beta testers! I'm looking foward to seeing what Coldstone is capable of.

(here's to hoping the PoG FC means Coldstone is nearing readiness for the masses)

Now, who is going to make the web page to share Coldstone tips, tricks, and tutorials? You know, a place where we can share some crazy event scripting that does something really cool...An archive of freely distributable graphics and sounds would be good too.

I'd do it but I've got more than a few projects brewing right now...as soon as I figure out how to work in my sleep I'd be happy to take on a few more.

-sanko-

------------------

Allo, all.

I apologize for posting this as a response, but it seems my registered username/password is no longer accepted. =( I used to be a member, but now I'm not -- and I KNOW I haven't been as vocal as The Chill. 😃

My question is a bit off topic, but not by much. I'll admit I've lived in a PC sheltered world - my last interaction with Apple was in the 80's. 😃 Still, COLDSTONE looks impressive enough that I am going to invest in an Apple machine so I can use it - I have a story that needs to be played.

Anywho - for those much more knowledgeable than I on PC -> Apple communications - is there/and what is the best route at making these two machines talk to one another? Is it as simple as 10BaseT internet connection? Or will I need software of some sort, like an Apple emulator? My reasoning is that all of my 3D/Sound/Creation software is on PC, and I'd like to port files over to the Apple when I need to.

Maybe the best answer is just converting Carrara/Bryce/Photoshop to their Apple counterparts.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Kagi

We really do need a coldstone community site. I've sorta got a rough design but my talents as a web designer aren't exactly spectacular, however, I would be happy to maintain it if someone made a design.

------------------
Apple Computer - The name of microsoft's research and development division
--------------------------------

Originally posted by Kagi:
**Anywho - for those much more knowledgeable than I on PC - > Apple communications - is there/and what is the best route at making these two machines talk to one another? Is it as simple as 10BaseT internet connection? Or will I need software of some sort, like an Apple emulator? My reasoning is that all of my 3D/Sound/Creation software is on PC, and I'd like to port files over to the Apple when I need to.

For sharing files, you would want to network the two together. If you have a network setup already, you should be able to connect them both to the network and use software such as DAVE or DoubleTalk on the Mac to help it recognize the PC network. I believe you can also use a crossover cable and this same software to connect the machines directly, but I am uncertain.

Maybe the best answer is just converting Carrara/Bryce/Photoshop to their Apple counterparts.

That would be wise, if you can afford purchasing the Mac versions of the software also. Development on one machine is better than two any day.

------------------
We shall accept payment in a large briefcase. American dollar good for this purpose. LARGE briefcase, remember. -- forge

Grav,

I currently do have a network, thanks for the excellent information.
As far as developing on one machine, I cannot at this time because
my company does C++/VB programming (for the product I've released)
so I need both. Converting it to RealBasic might be an option, but
I'm not real familiar with that framework just yet. Need to get a
Mac. 😃

Doubletalk sounds just like what I need. Thanks again.

Kagi

To sanko and Dark, I'm terribly sorry, I wish I could have your feelings, but you're both jumping the gun big time. We had a Coldstone hotline, a Coldstone Webring, yadda yadda yadda...that all fizzled out. You know why? Because Coldstone doesn't exist. That's right, in the eyes of anyone except for Ambrosia/Beenox and the beta testers, Coldstone is one huge myth. No telling how much longer it could be, especially if it is delayed by the releases of other Ambrosia products such as PoG, Snapz Pro, and EV Nova. Many months ago, as far back as April or March, they released the "final beta", noting that the release should come soonafter. Since it's almost August with little late-breaking news, don't get your hopes up.

Saphfire

------------------

In my defense, I did not mean one should be set up today. 😄 I just wanted to see if anybody was interested in actually running a community site. I realize the release may still be months away, but maybe the beta testers can be preparing some tips and stuff that can be released when Coldstone is. hint hint 😉

sanko

------------------

I started writing two tutorials a while ago, "Sane's Brief Guide to Writing Music" and "Sane's Brief Guide to Sound Design," but have since stopped work on them. I may resume working on the sound design one.

As for Coldstone tips, tricks, and the like: don't get your hopes up. Usually people like to save cool tricks for themselves once they figure something else so other people will go, "How the heck did they do that?"

------------------
People who claim the sky is falling obviously aren't aware the earth is falling, too.

**Allo, all.

I apologize for posting this as a response, but it seems my registered username/password is no longer accepted. =( I used to be a member, but now I'm not -- and I KNOW I haven't been as vocal as The Chill. 😃

My question is a bit off topic, but not by much. I'll admit I've lived in a PC sheltered world - my last interaction with Apple was in the 80's. 😃 Still, COLDSTONE looks impressive enough that I am going to invest in an Apple machine so I can use it - I have a story that needs to be played.

Anywho - for those much more knowledgeable than I on PC -> Apple communications - is there/and what is the best route at making these two machines talk to one another? Is it as simple as 10BaseT internet connection? Or will I need software of some sort, like an Apple emulator? My reasoning is that all of my 3D/Sound/Creation software is on PC, and I'd like to port files over to the Apple when I need to.

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Kagi**

::an ethereal voice booms::

Defiler, lurker, highjacker...::scoffing:: there is no such thing as a competent PPC emulator, "thou art truly screwed".

::rings of laughter echo in the distance::

------------------
"I'm not imagining things, you bastards deleted my reply, may carpal tunnel befall you all"
~TheChill

Sahpire, I am inclined to agree with you. Hotline and the webring fizzled out because we were WAY to early. I honestly thought coldstone was a few months away back in november or so. Coldstone is closer to release now though, we don't even need content, we just need to get a framework so that when the day comes, we as a community will be able to get new users on their feet as quickly as possible.

------------------

Originally posted by DarkBlade:
**Sahpire, I am inclined to agree with you. Hotline and the webring fizzled out because we were WAY to early. I honestly thought coldstone was a few months away back in november or so. Coldstone is closer to release now though, we don't even need content, we just need to get a framework so that when the day comes, we as a community will be able to get new users on their feet as quickly as possible.

If you wanna, go for it. I'm not stopping you. But, like you said, you honestly thought Coldstone was due back in November. What makes you think Coldstone is so much closer to release? And the site design isn't too difficult, it's content, interest, and upkeep that are the killers. The first few weeks after the release of 1.0, everything will be so hectic and busy, no one will care to even bother with the site, as all the "hardcore" fans will be diving in and not have time to share tips and tricks. The webboard will get the most action. When the time comes, I'm willing to throw a nice design at ya, but it's too soon to tell as of now.

Saphfire

------------------

Once Coldstone is released I will creating a Coldstone community site similar to that of EV-Dev.net.

------------------
Ladies and Gentlemen, as you know we have something special for you at
Birdland this evening. A recording for Blue Note Records...

Let's take it back to the concrete streets, original beats and real live MC's...
"We find it hard to strike a good balance between reality and fun. The reason being? Reality is often not fun." - _pipeline

Good, thanks Necro.

------------------

Originally posted by the Necromicon:
**Once Coldstone is released I will creating a Coldstone community site similar to that of EV-Dev.net.

A community will be a lot harder to build than a single page listing developers and their current project

(essentially posting a bio, review of the game,and a sit listing)

every man 4'm self

------------------
"I'm not imagining things, you bastards deleted my reply, may carpal tunnel befall you all"
~TheChill

Originally posted by chill_rx:
**A community will be a lot harder to build than a single page listing developers and their current project

(essentially posting a bio, review of the game,and a sit listing)

every man 4'm self

yes, but since I'm a professional web designer/engineer, it won't be too much of a challenge.

------------------

Let's take it back to the concrete streets, original beats and real live MC's...
"We find it hard to strike a good balance between reality and fun. The reason being? Reality is often not fun." - _pipeline

**yes, but since I'm a professional web designer/engineer, it won't be too much of a challenge.

whoopty doo

------------------
~TheChill

Originally posted by chill_rx:
**whoopty doo

I say Chilly, Necro lives in the World Wide Web of Pretense. Titles there are vague and wonderful.

But, as you, I wonder about the moniker 'Engineer'.

However, no matter. He is a 'moderator', you know. And he wields a 'big stick'. So let him gloat.

------------------
...it wasn't me...

Originally posted by SkipMeier:
**I say Chilly, Necro lives in the World Wide Web of Pretense. Titles there are vague and wonderful.

But, as you, I wonder about the moniker 'Engineer'.

However, no matter. He is a 'moderator', you know. And he wields a 'big stick'. So let him gloat.

Don't insult me boi..I do have a karma stick and as you can see, I've used it. For your information, I work for Fox Murphy Advertising agency full time in the Interactive department. SOme of our clients include Disney, Duracell and Jonny Walker whiskey. You might have seen the Keep Walking adverts on CNN? We did them, and our little department of four made the website (www.keepwalking.tv).

So..bite me you arrogant bastard.

------------------

**Don't insult me boi..I do have a karma stick and as you can see, I've used it. For your information, I work for Fox Murphy Advertising agency full time in the Interactive department. SOme of our clients include Disney, Duracell and Jonny Walker whiskey. You might have seen the Keep Walking adverts on CNN? We did them, and our little department of four made the website (www.keepwalking.tv).

So..bite me you arrogant bastard.

Necro, moderators are not above treating others with respect and courtesy.

As a moderator you are to see to it that posters abide by rules of common decency and refrain from using foul language, personal attacks and flames. It is my observation that quite often you are one of the offenders.

And you are doing it again.

This time you are objecting, not to flames, bad language, personal attacks or name calling, but to my post suggesting that Chill back off. I did not attack you but I did call into question your attitude. This is appropriate. What in the world does 'engineer' have to do with the original topic? You seemingly desired to impress with vague credentials. In the real world this can and will get one in serious and/or embarassing situations.

I called you on an attitude. You responded very childishly (and not at all appropriate for a moderator) both in your response to this list and in an e-mail to me personally. You directly attacked me with foul language and personal insults.

This is a strong reflection on your character and Ambrosia (for having you as a moderator.)

Below is an excerpt from your e-mail to me (in which you lowered my 'karma'). I just wonder what is happening to your 'real' karma with your mean-spiritedness.

**Insulting a moderator isn't a good idea, moron.

-Necro**

Skip

------------------
...it wasn't me...

Originally posted by SkipMeier:
**As a moderator you are to see to it that posters abide by rules of common decency and refrain from using foul language, personal attacks and flames. It is my observation that quite often you are one of the offenders.

Well said, lad.

------------------
Time is not a constant. How long a minute is depends on which side of the bathroom door you're on.