Coldstone Newswire: 3 ideas for Coldstone games...

Originally posted by ill_a_nois:
**What's with the backward signature's ??

it makes people read them.. yeah

(if I posted this twice, sorry. my browser just started loading something but I stopped it, so who knows)

------------------
"..snevaR fo ycaripsnoC a.."

erm, originality doesn't make a good game, it's the enjoyment factor (aka fun factor like he said)... if it's a totally un-original starwars rip-off or something, but has millions of people playing it because they enjoy it, then it's a good game.

------------------
Jeremy Woodruff as,
THE WHITE SHADOW

I never said that origionality can make a game worth playing all on it's own -- I'm just saying that doing something new or different is one of the things you can do to add to the fun-factor of your game.

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

(This message has been edited by jmitchell (edited 06-18-2001).)

Originally posted by jmitchell:
**I never said that origionality can make a game worth playing all on it's own -- I'm just saying that doing something new or different is one of the things you can do to add to the fun-factor of your game.

Yes. But origionality is very hard to come by. So it's easier to not worry about that and concintrate on making the game interesting and fun. 🙂

------------------
Long live the Rebellion!
---------------------
(url="http://"http://www.pautsch.com/nova6")Visit my cool EV website!(/url) Also, check out my cool new (url="http://"http://pub55.ezboard.com/bevandevodiscussionboard")webboard!(/url)

(This message has been edited by Nova6 (edited 06-20-2001).)

(I know this is getting old, but I feel that it's a good friendly argument that should be made between people who want to create quality games).

I get your meaning, I think: from a production point of view, some origionallity must be sacrificed for flexibility and the ease of creation. And I don't dissagree with you at all, in theory. It is much harder to make something new because it has not been tested and so it has no documented pitfalls that you can look out for.

however, I feel that ColdStone is an excellent tool for finding those pitfalls and working around them. we are not investing developers. we will not be throwing around hundreds of thousands of dollars (or millions, in the case of some big-title games). we are just playing with our passion here, so there will be a lot of room for experimentation.

I say this: we will probably not be able to produce the same level of established action, or play style, or story developement as full commercial games have done in the past ( good commercial games -- we're not talking about Sanity here...). So, why not strike out to be different? being different from the pack might just be what gets ColdStone games noticed in the ebbing tides of the gaming industry. we can afford to step out of line here, and I think we should try to do just that, if we can. I'm not going to hold it against anyone if they make a new version of FF 3 -- there is nothing more noble than paying homage to your favorite style than by emulating it to create something new. I just think those who choose not to follow the path well travelled will be rewarded for their efforts in the end.

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

(This message has been edited by jmitchell (edited 06-21-2001).)

Ah, the time honored tradition. Your words have merit, as such small to medium game development studios, unbound by the backwash beauracracy ever present in large corporate houses that adheres to strict guidelines enforced by media trends and analytical processes that supposedly tell the corporate bigwigs what will and will not sell, are free to delve into brave new territory, revolutionizing the genres with such hits as Half-Life.

However, I do believe, though lacking financial and marketing prowess, with enough dedication and ingenuity, one can make a revolutionary commercial worthy product.

Saphfire

------------------