the game itself

Originally posted by Lorenoth:
**so I'm gonna limit it to 7

One thing to keep in mind when you limit the player to a certain number of characters in a party: make the limitation plot, not arbitrary. It is much better to say that you can't have more than seven in the party because some of them have to go off and do something else, than to say that there is a maximum of seven in the party just because you can't have any more. That was one thing that annoyed me about Baldur's Gate: the maximum of six people in the party is just an arbitrary restriction with no explanation. Even an explanation like the one in Chrono Trigger is far better than no explanation.

------------------

(Insert Signature Here)

I'm gonna make a semi-historical RPG, it will use a historical setting (Ancient Greece, plus bits of Persia) but i'm gonna to hack it up at my whim, to make for a better, more interesting story. While it will be (technically) realistic, It will be a very surreal realistic, the kind of realisitic where fantastic things happen.

And yeah, I'm working on it alone, which means that I will be reduced to using just the given graphics, but i'm hoping to make up for this by having a damn enthralling plotline, with alot of repeat playability.
Also, I'm so un-organised about it any-one who was helping would probably just get annoyed at me anyway πŸ˜‰

------------------
"For Example: Sunny days make me happy, rainy days make me sad." "But you can have fun on a rainy day too." "Your truth can be changed simply by how you accept it." "That is how fragile truth is for a human being."

yeah, I have a feeling that ColdStone is going to be less of a "team production" tool and more of a "hey honey, look at that crazy young man dancing on the sidewalk asking for change so he can buy the new Maya for OSX" tool. however, there is strength in numbers, so I have think that anywhere one of us has a shortcomming could and should be compensated by the rest (100% willingly, of course).

For instance, I have NO ability to create original music, and not much more to create SFX. However, I can do massive amounts of cinematic 3D animation and map/effects graphics, so who knows. I think we're going to be seing a lot of reused materials in the first generation of RPGs produced here...

but hey, I doubt many of us are going to charge for the first round anyway, so it'll all be in good fun.

G'night, all.

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

oh yeah. and there's nothing wrong with the chrono trigger explanation for, well, anything. Right? Right. Mmm... Chrono Trigger... (nostalgic drooling follows)

Me thinks I need some sleep. once again: G'night

------------------
Do not follow me for I may not lead. Do not lead for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either. Just leave me the hell alone.
-Jedi

Originally posted by jmitchell:
**Oh yeah, and that reminds me. how many people are planning on working solo on their project? I'm interested in seeing just how ambitious/crazy the lot of us are.

I know I'm going it alone, chiefly because all of my friends just laugh and turn away when I tell them that I'm trying to make a full-sized RPG and do all the cinematics + graphics + story + characterization + "code" by myself. maybe I can get some help once I've got something to show, but until then; nada. what about the rest of you?

Count me as one of those "ambitious/crazy" people. I planned a large project knowing full well that I have no multimedia skills to speak of. Hopefully, I can find free work on the Internet.

The advantage of a one-man team is that: No coordination problems. No problems with clashing ideas. No one can drag you down.

Disadvantages:

1. No one to blame when something goes wrong.
  2. No one to give you a push, either. You have a lot of work ahead of you... No one to supplement any shortcomings you might have.

------------------
Cotton Mouse to htjyang: "If you try and steal my thoughts again, I'll have you taken away in the middle of the night!!!"
Cotton Mouse: "I'm not surprised at Htyang or whatever, he strikes me as an ultra-conservative pro-life tree burner."
Dr. Tall to htjyang; "your a communist dictator beholding only to your own prejudicies"
foo12 commented on one of my posts: "I remember watching a "there is no global warming!" documentary---funded by OPEC. Gee... talk about impartiality there."

**Oh yeah, and that reminds me. how many people are planning on working solo on their project? I'm interested in seeing just how ambitious/crazy the lot of us are. **
(/B)

I'm a one-man company as far as being a production studio is concerned. I can get away with it because I'm multi-talented and well organized. I'm also a control freak and know I wouldn't be able to collaborate well with anyone on a project of mine that I take seriously.

However, I know that I could spend a year alone doing graphics and nothing else. Which I why I plan to hire a few graphics professionals to help out with the art creation. Art production is a massive job, and if I get the right people (being a graphics pro helps, too, 'cos you know what questions to ask), I think it will help me save a lot of my resources (time=money). My art direction is already down solid.

SFX, Music are really no problem for me. I've already got two or three themes down in "sketches," which I can flesh out into many tunes (a lot of games feature the same melody re-used in different contexts in different tunes). One of these sketches is downloadable from Gluebubble's hotline server (in the "Current Projects:A Silent Fall" folder, called "Ominous1.sit," you need a Player Pro, SoundJam, SoundApp, or something that can play .s3m files to play it back).

From there, it's just a matter of doing things, and hoping this is a year of my life well spent. πŸ™‚

------------------
People who claim the sky is falling obviously aren't aware the earth is falling, too.

My game will be called "Capitalist" and will be a "Diablo"-clone!
But instead of defeating Diablo you will be fighting the big bad capitalist...
The game will have almost no story but lots of monsters.
You can only play as a young communist who is trying to save the world...
I plan to have the game ready quite fast...

**Oh yeah, and that reminds me. how many people are planning on working solo on their project? I'm interested in seeing just how ambitious/crazy the lot of us are. **

(url="http://"http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/skyblade/shadowblade/")Shadowblade(/url) started out with three members of the development team, but Gavin left (for reasons that I'm still not quite sure about), and there are only two of us. Although, even that may change...

------------------
(url="http://"http://www.geocities.com/skyblade500/omega_conspiracy/index.html")The Omega Conspiracy(/url) - An (url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/games/evo")EV Override(/url) Novella
(url="http://"http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/skyblade/shadowblade")Shadowblade(/url) - A (url="http://"http://www.beenox.com/coldstone.html")Coldstone(/url) Roleplaying Game
------------------

oops.

(This message has been edited by chill_rx (edited 02-13-2001).)

It is rare that group projects work out. If I were to do something like that I would have them sign a contract basically saying, no leaving.

------------------
Was it the Chad?
--------------------------------
Make sure you visit the Coldstone Hotline Server run by GlueBubble. The IP is:

-29Β°
::materializes, jumps into the fray::

Go here to see what...
(url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/cgi-bin/ubb/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum48&topic;=000327&whichpost;=chill_rx02-13-200106:10+PM")the Chill has to say(/url)
on this topic...<<relates to my game idea>>

...SO SAYS THE CHILL !

::finds his keys, hops into his car, speeds off in a frozen cloud of exhaust::
+29Β°, He is Gone ??

------------------
Don't send me any mail...

What I'm probably going to have to do is produce a small game with very little story/developement to start out with, while at the same time working on my graphics and learning ColdStone. Once I've got a good lead on my graphics and the engine, I'll be able to really sit down and get to work on storyboarding the project out. If I can, I'll finish all of my tests/graphics before I even touch the first open file in my big game. If I jump right into it too quickly, I don't think I'll have the experience to produce anything worth my while. And though I could go back and fix things later once I had my sea legs for CS, I'm just too lazy to do a complete overhaul on something that I have already spent so much time on.

I really have to start thinking about a title for "my big game" one of these days. Oh well. let the background story building continue...

------------------
-Jedi

Originally posted by Comrade Kalle:
But instead of defeating Diablo you will be fighting the big bad capitalist...

That is a way cool idea for a game! I can't wait to play πŸ™‚ It will be just as fun a wolfenstein, I can imagine πŸ™‚

Can one of the monsters be yuppies, who aim there mobile phone's at you, and you get 'poisoned', and thus continue to lose health for a while, until you find or cast a 'cure head cancer' spell?

Ohh, I'm trying to think who the bosses for each level could be... πŸ™‚ There could be Bill Gates, Jack Welch, Donald Trump, Rupert Murdoch... the list goes on.

I await eagerly any game which lets me blow away capatalist scum! πŸ™‚ Viva la Revolution, and other such cliches!

------------------
"For Example: Sunny days make me happy, rainy days make me sad." "But you can have fun on a rainy day too." "Your truth can be changed simply by how you accept it." "That is how fragile truth is for a human being."

oh, and you definetly need some "Whack-a-McCarthy" for bonus points at the end of each level

------------------
-Jedi

I don't mean a group project as in so many people developing the game, I merely want people to send in ideas, comments, names (for credits), sprites if they want them, and NPCs of themself. (like all of the named ships in EV)

I don't intend on taking credit for this work, I merely want a game with virtualy infinite replayability, and ways to cheat beyond redemption, like EV πŸ˜„

This is why I want input from other people. check the hotline server for more details on my work, I don't have much time to post right now I'll probably post a thread on my game later this evening, for now I've got work to do.

------------------
We are Microsoft.
You will be assimilated.
Resistance is futile.

Originally posted by JustBill:
as well as an option to play in Latin.
-bc

That would Rule. There is no other way to put it. I would LOVE an option to play in latin, and I think several peopel I know who are studying latin would love it as a chance to have some fun while brushing up on their latin.
In short, I think this sounds like a great idea!

------------------

Originally posted by Mashish:
**That would Rule. There is no other way to put it. ... I think this sounds like a great idea!

Wow! Thanks! As a Mac programmer I've often been involved in internationalization - luckily I live in the Chicago area so it's pretty easy to find native speakers for just about anything (although Portugese was a problem a couple years ago.) I've always wanted to do something in Latin and when I came across Coldstone last year this seemed like the thing to do.

My curent hope is to involve the Latin Club at our high school - I'll be at a meeting tonight to float the idea. They are running a trip to Italy this spring and I already have a set of photo's I want my son to take at Pompeii. Of course he wants a digital video camera...

Thanks again.

-bc

------------------

Well my rpg starts out futuristic You start out a to scientist working in a lab developing a metods to genetically enhace humans but it doesn't work on human only beast. So the boss of the place has the lab work on altering the human form thus giving birth to monsters in my game the lab is censered and the world censered The two people ya start out with turn into monster and later on in the game your find them with another party. I might eventually have the monster have the ability to change you into monsters. And when you go into town guards will attack you. You will have to go into the wood to a witchs hut and get the curse removes or something like that. I am also thinking about the1st area being my final area because after it is censered it censered greatly and is almost compleatly different. Since I am a dragon fenatic (Heck I got a dragon statue in my house) it will probally be centered around them somehow. Hmmm Parasite eve meets breath of fire hmmmm me likes this. πŸ™‚

------------------
Hmmm. One doller for
eternal happieness?
Mmm no I think I would
be happier with the

Good thread!

Mine is still unnamed, and given the train of my thoughts it might not even be possible for some time. I've become a chaos theory devotee, and I want to build a world out of enmeshed dynamic systems. However, I don't want a game that requires one of those newfangled 733 G4s just to run, and is turn-based because the computer has to churn for 24 hours generating the next frame. πŸ˜›

I digress. The basic idea is that there are three distinct civilizations in three climates, all adjacent: mountain, valley and desert. All have perfectly good historical reasons to distrust each other. All three keep meticulously accurate histories which are factually correct, but which spin or selectively omit facts to their own benefit. Tension between them is coming to a head, rapidly. That's when you appear. You can start in any of the three cultures.

The solution - restoring the peace - involves discovering a fourth civilization that the other three were all complicit in extinguishing, and which is blotted out of the histories except for a few oblique references. Details are yet to be determined, obviously. First, I have to write the histories.

It will be low-magic fantasy. I'm definitely going to have various kinds of magic, but the only PC race will be human (all the civilizations are human). There are no elves, orcs, dwarves or hobbits that a Tolkien or D&D; player would recognize - whether there are any fey creatures depends on how the story arc goes, and whether I can program them in to my satisfaction. If there are fey creatures, there will also be unicorns and dragons, although again, these will be quite different from the fantasy norm.

What am I blathering about? This: I am hoping to have fey creatures (known variously and more-or-less interchangeably as goblins, elves, sprites, pixies, dwarves, gnomes, brownies, trolls, kobolds, hobgoblins, leprechauns, etc., and other varieties such as dryads and dragons) appear and disappear in response to local karma, with their forms and natures being determined by the nature of the place they appear in. Most - the sprite-like denizens - grow spontaneously out of the innate magic of a place, or from the energies left behind by a major event at that place. Some, like dryads, are actually the souls of places and cannot leave any more than a human soul can leave its body. They also can only be slain if their "body" is destroyed.

The problems adapting this model to a game engine based in boolean logic should be obvious, but hope springs eternal. πŸ˜„ I didn't get a BS in CS for nothing. I'm going to have to get someone else to do the artwork and the music, though. I can design, I can write, I can code, but I can't draw worth beans, and the only instrument I can play is drumset. πŸ™‚

------------------
James

(This message has been edited by Amorph (edited 02-20-2001).)

I was going to make a fantasy game like most ppl here but after some thinking I decided for a sci-fi style game. It's just to hard for me to do all the characters and animations in a fantasy game like BG. So far I have a fuzzy idea about the story in my game and I have started on the design of some ships. I think I will make some 3D models soon, and maybe some other pictures but I think itΒ’s hard to start and work on the graphics before I have Coldstone. I want to see how the ships looks in the game, not just a 3D model of them. The only thing I fear now is that the game will look to much like EV, but I think I can make it. It all depends on Coldstone!

A friend will help me with music and sound effects but I do all the other stuff myself.

I know that I have a lot of time but canΒ’t stop thinking about a name for my game. Maybe Renegade or Moonchild (IΒ’m taking all my name ideas from song titles πŸ™‚ )

------------------