turn based fights?

Does anyone know whether you will be able to create a turn based fighting system because from what I have read the fighting will be like diablo and myst. But being a powerful tool I were hoping you would be able to choose how your fights work. (don't swear)

------------------
dead

(This message has been edited by the Necromicon (edited 02-03-2001).)

myst? fighting?
I must have missed(no pun intended) part of that game.

------------------
"Oh....Talia is it? What a....a pleasant surprise. I did not expect---"
"Neither did your guards--- judging by the look of shock pasted on their lifeless faces"

Welcome to Ambrosia, dead_himself.

------------------

Har dee har har Lorenoth =P (that actually was pretty funny). Maybe he meant Myth because I dont think there is any fighting in Myst. I don't know if you will be able to select your battle system though, wouldn't that require a complete rewrite of the engine?

------------------
Was it the Chad?
--------------------------------
Make sure you visit the Coldstone Hotline Server run by GlueBubble. The IP is:

turnbased games are what save magic users like me-
in other words-they better have it as an option..plz

------------------
"Neither did your guards--- judging by the look of shock pasted on their lifeless faces"

Yeah, he must have ment myth.

------------------
"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all into the darkness and bind them, in the land of mordor where the shadows lie."
Check out the upcomming Lord of the Rings Movies at (url="http://"http://www.lordoftherings.net/home.html")http://www.lordofthe...s.net/home.html(/url)

(This message has been edited by Titan (edited 02-03-2001).)

yeah I meant myth sorry.

------------------
dead

If you read the progress log, I believe it says that the engine has been re-writeen to use real-time fighting. Also, I very much doubt there will be a choice, since if so why would they REwrite the engine, not just add to the engine.
Sorry Lorenth 🙂

------------------
"For Example: Sunny days make me happy, rainy days make me sad." "But you can have fun on a rainy day too." "Your truth can be changed simply by how you accept it." "That is how fragile truth is for a human being."

well then I better have some back up to take hits while I SELECT the fricking spell

------------------

I suspect that some sort of turn-based combat could be implemented using events, but I doubt it would be easy. FF1 style battles come to mind.

------------------

(Insert Signature Here)

All systems can be circumvented just use as much ingenuity as you can and I'm pretty sure you can create a pseudo turn-based system if need be. (I will).

-29 °

------------------
Don't send me any mail...

Chill is right about it being possible to one up the battle system. However, the amount of work and extra events that you would need to pump into every map with fights would make your game:
1)Never finished because there are just to many events
2) HUGE SIZE!!! That many events means you'd probably kill of all hopes of dialups downloading your game.

------------------
Was it the Chad?

You mean the only way to fight will be the diablo method ?!!!!!!

:frown:

I'm just gonna die...

------------------
You don't have to be
affraid by drows...
Unless they want to kill
you...

Originally posted by DarkBlade:
extra events that you would need to pump into every map with fights

Only one, which sends you to a battle area. With a little bit of creativity, it should be possible to make only a single battle area, and just change the background and / or monsters depending on what's needed. At worst you'd have to have one battle location for each background. Of course, if you want to fight on the main map, that's a whole different story, and, as you pointed out, probably not worth the bother.

------------------

(Insert Signature Here)

Wyvern: You still don't have turn based, do you? (I won't miss turn based though, not at all! )

------------------
Was it the Chad?

Originally posted by DarkBlade:
**Wyvern: You still don't have turn based, do you?

My point was that the events needed to make turn based combat would not need to be applied to every map, just the battle area(s).

------------------

(Insert Signature Here)

yeah, from what I've seen of the engine and the event scripting, it looks as though you should be able to pull off turn-based combat, but it would probably have to be only the battle segment of an otherwise live action game. my thinking is that you should be able to "fake" a turn based combat system by creating an event whenever you encounter an enemy. you could load up a new, single-screen map from which you could probably build some sort of event-based battle system that waits for your commands. and without any movement of the characters durring battle it might not be THAT difficult to script all the neccessary events, just as long as you stuck to a small number battle formations.

aka: the style used in Super Mario RPG 1 or any of the other Squaresoft RPGs pre-Chrono Trigger. It might take some work, but I'll bet turn-based can be done.

jedi

------------------

(This message has been edited by jmitchell (edited 02-06-2001).)

(This message has been edited by jmitchell (edited 02-06-2001).)

Will it be possible to make a pause system as they used in Baldur´s gate?
You click the spacebar to pause the game when you select spells and when you plan how to fight.

------------------
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let´s not bicker and argue about who killed who."

Originally posted by Knight of NI:
**Will it be possible to make a pause system as they used in Baldur´s gate?
You click the spacebar to pause the game when you select spells and when you plan how to fight.

If it's possible to choose actions during the pause, then it's possible to create turn based fights...

------------------
I hate it when people make spelling mistakes in there signiture.

Actually, if events could control the pause on/off mode, then a turn based system would (appear to) be extremely easy to make.

------------------

(Insert Signature Here)