One small suggestion.

Although this has made my top five list of best games, there is one thing missing: ground troops. They could move in much the same way as boats, and you could have in them battalions, tanks, and...uh... nuke launchers. That way you could conquer enemy ground if it was connected without wasting a nuke, and the only way you could lose a city would be to have the enemy take it back. Then you could just blow the city up and have your troops move on or something akin to that. Or, you could board a carrier and go to an opposite shore and attack from there. It would add another dimension to this game, and propel it to #1 on my top games list. Comments? Suggestions?

Honestly, I don't think ground troops would fit the theme or structure of the game. Ground troops would not work for all continents (there is not a lot of space for Europe to deploy them, South America and North America wouldn't be able to get them much of anywhere, &c.). Also, if it actually came to a shooting war, ground troops wouldn't be of much use. Finally, the goal of Defcon is to nuke cities. Using ground troops to take them out would decrease the impact and importance of those nukes. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

xander

the only possible way I see ib being implemented is through a story-mode about the late cold war. Not only must you stop a bunch of "Rooskie" (pardon, I couldn't help the Dr. Strangelove jab) nukes coming inbound, but also defeat them @ the Iron Curtain.

In a nuclear exchange, ground troops really don't matter, except to possibly trigger the conflict.

I forgot to mention that tanks should carry one nuke each. Also, it is a way to win without completely destroying the world in the fallout that is sure to come next. I only mentioned it because that is the only remaining aspect of warfare missing. Maybe someone could just make a mod to do it?

@roy, on May 6 2007, 04:39 AM, said in One small suggestion.:

I forgot to mention that tanks should carry one nuke each. Also, it is a way to win without completely destroying the world in the fallout that is sure to come next. I only mentioned it because that is the only remaining aspect of warfare missing. Maybe someone could just make a mod to do it?

I don't think that a mod could change the game as much as you want, because your suggested feature is in no way implemented in the game engine, so it would have to be coded entirely new.

Maybe you get railways between each of your cities, and can have mobile SRBM launchers that can only move on the rails.

Nah, that suggestion is approaching the scope of the Civilization series. Like I've said before, DEFCON has a very specific focus area, adding an entirely new unit to the game would create an imbalance within the game. See The Hotline Section 1.3.