Volcano - Where Next? - and other stuff (own music!)

Beat the "crab" boss - now what?

Ok, so I can't figure it out.
I beat the Crab boss - got whatever was waiting (powerup) and then saved.
Then I stopped playing (busy life!) for a week or so.

Now I've come back to Volcano, a week later, and can't figure out what to do next.
I think I need to descend into the lava dots, but need something first?, I get
about as far as the "blobs" (as I like to call them) in the lower lava dots before dying.

I read elsewhere there is a shield - is this what you get when defeating the "Crab" boss?
If so, I don't have it after saving & coming back later.

Fully registered version, by the way. An absolutely fantastic game!

Some thoughts:
Wouldn't it be very cool to be able to sketch (literally, on paper) some levels and then
scan them in (not sure of the technicalities - but I would imagine some templates for objects/sprites
people would need to follow closely)

Custom music.. because I got bored with dying yet again in Volcano, I had a bit of a play:

NOTE - PLEASE BACKUP first. Make a Duplicate of the ""SketchFighter 4000 Alpha.app", at the very least.

Control or Right Click on the "SketchFighter 4000 Alpha.app" icon, choose "Show Package Contents"

Inside, you'll find a Contents folder, inside that a Resources folder, inside that a Music folder.

Inside Music, you'll find some MP3 files - the music to the game.

All you have to do is copy in whatever MP3 music file you choose, rename the original Sketchfighter
music file something like "oldVolcano.mp3", then rename your own MP3 file as "Volcano.mp3"

Close all the windows and you're done.

I used a 220kbps MP3 file - Sketchfighter music seems to be 64kbps - which suggests to me that
it doesn't matter what bitrate etc as long as its MP3. I guess higher bitrates can slow things down
on older/slower Mac's?

But please - BACKUP FIRST! - I am not responsible if your data/computer/app/whatever dies!

Kind regards,

Ashley

@ashley-hinton, on Apr 13 2007, 04:43 PM, said in Volcano - Where Next? - and other stuff (own music!):

Now I've come back to Volcano, a week later, and can't figure out what to do next. I think I need to descend into the lava dots, but need something first?, I get about as far as the "blobs" (as I like to call them) in the lower lava dots before dying.

What you got was the missiles (press the option key to use them). For your next step, try backtracking until you find a place where you can use these missiles to get through a blocked passage.

@ashley-hinton, on Apr 13 2007, 04:43 PM, said in Volcano - Where Next? - and other stuff (own music!):

Some thoughts:
Wouldn't it be very cool to be able to sketch (literally, on paper) some levels and then scan them in (not sure of the technicalities - but I would imagine some templates for objects/sprites people would need to follow closely)

Take a look at Custom Asset Enabler for a guide to making custom graphics (and a method of easily copying them into the game). Note that CAE only allows for graphic replacements, not additions, although admittedly adding new graphics takes a bit more work than just drawing something cool within a strict area in an image file.

Custom music...
I used a 220kbps MP3 file - Sketchfighter music seems to be 64kbps - which suggests to me that it doesn't matter what bitrate etc as long as its MP3. I guess higher bitrates can slow things down on older/slower Mac's?

Actually, if you use an alias and just name it "Whatever.mp3", you can use any format Quicktime can play- at one point I was using a MIDI file as music for a level.

Edwards

Edwards

Thanks for all of that!

I didn't realise that you had to go back - for some reason I thought of it as being
linear - Wastelands leads to Volcano leads to (etc) - I should have known better <_<

Thanks for all the info & the link.

Kind regards,

Ashley

Always try going back and search for other stuff in the old areas, you'll need to do that for other things later in the game. 🙂