I just discovered this trick

No big thing, but it can be useful

Well, I was just going around the Forest, blasting bugs away, when it dawned on me that I could use the Blue Gun to freeze some of the bugs and leave them that way so that they would serve as guides on the Forest race. It works great.

Hm. Interesting.

Hmm...very INTERESTING.

cool! interesting idea 😄 but wouldn't they disappear when you save, exit, and start playing again or just leave the area? (i have never used the ice gun :D)

This post has been edited by Indigo : 14 December 2006 - 04:19 PM

I just memorized the turns...

Spoiler

R, L, R, L, R, R

...works no matter which way the map is oriented.

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 14 December 2006 - 04:29 PM
Reason for edit: you don't want to spoil their fun, do you?

think "ok, rrrrrreeeeemmmmmeeeeemmmmbbbbbeeeeeerrrrrrrrr

Spoiler

R, L, R, L, R, R

" think

This post has been edited by Zacha Pedro : 14 December 2006 - 04:29 PM
Reason for edit: In accordance with previous post

@indigo, on Dec 14 2006, 04:19 PM, said in I just discovered this trick:

cool! interesting idea 😄 but wouldn't they disappear when you save, exit, and start playing again or just leave the area? (i have never used the ice gun :D)

You are partly right, they disappear when you get killed or quit the program, but let's say you freeze them and then go back and save (i.e. you get in one of those green circles). They will still be there. What's best, even if you try the race once, and don't succeed, as long as you are still alive and have enough shield, you can try again and again, and the frozen bugs will stay where you last left them. Actually, before attempting the Forest race, I always kill everything that's going to be on my path. One problem, however, with this tactic, is that sometimes frozen items keep drifting away, so you might end up more disoriented than otherwise if you follow the trail left behind by drifting bugs. I am quite relieved that the Forest race starts always from the same spot. It would be immensey harder (at first I thought that's what it was) if you started always from a random location in the Forest.

You don't have to make your path-hints yourself. There's already a built-in one...

@freq245, on Dec 15 2006, 05:03 AM, said in I just discovered this trick:

You don't have to make your path-hints yourself. There's already a built-in one...

You had to go and say it, didn't you...

😉

@freq245, on Dec 15 2006, 05:03 AM, said in I just discovered this trick:

There is? I just memorized turns like the others.

@indigo, on Dec 14 2006, 03:19 PM, said in I just discovered this trick:

(i have never used the ice gun :D)

Then you don't know that it's really useful for

Spoiler

killing the big blobs

? try it

Unlike everyone else, I didn't memorize turns; I followed the right (starboard) edge. You skip the first two branches, and take the third.

Actually, that's how I navigate the forest in general: study map, pick edge, stick to it.

@cheleball, on Dec 16 2006, 05:23 AM, said in I just discovered this trick:

Unlike everyone else, I didn't memorize turns; I followed the right (starboard) edge. You skip the first two branches, and take the third.

Actually, that's how I navigate the forest in general: study map, pick edge, stick to it.

Yeah, that's about how I do it. Though at this point I am fairly certain that I can identify just about every nook and cranny of the forest on sight 😕

xander

@zoundspadang, on Dec 15 2006, 06:12 PM, said in I just discovered this trick:

Then you don't know that it's really useful for

Spoiler

killing the big blobs

? try it

i am unregistered.

This post has been edited by Indigo : 17 December 2006 - 11:02 AM

I've beaten the game twice now (ranked #73 worldwide, excited about that!), but I never noticed the hints. Do

Spoiler

red flowers

have anything to do with it at all?

This post has been edited by Rawzer : 26 December 2006 - 09:37 PM

@rawzer, on Dec 21 2006, 06:33 AM, said in I just discovered this trick:

I've beaten the game twice now (ranked #73 worldwide, excited about that!), but I never noticed the hints. Do red flowers have anything to do with it at all?

Spoiler

Yes.

@freq245, on Dec 21 2006, 07:37 AM, said in I just discovered this trick:

Spoiler

Yes.

I'm proud to say I figured that one out the first time through, so I only had to race twice (though I did need a lot of help with the Volcano Boss).