Locally networked game possible?

Does anyone know if it's possible to play a game across a local (in the same house) network?

I tried via the 2p Internet connection but I get the bad NAT error discussed in another thread.

A great game, by the way.

No, but you can both play on one computer via the "2P Local" choice.

@andyland, on Dec 3 2006, 06:14 PM, said in Locally networked game possible?:

I tried via the 2p Internet connection but I get the bad NAT error discussed in another thread.

As long as both hosts are on the same LAN (and not on separate NATs), it should work -- this is a special case that the client checks for. A couple questions:

Do you see the NAT warning when you enter the lobby?
Does the other guy on your LAN have "Restrictive NAT" next to his name?
Did you actually try inviting him to a game, and it failed?

The warning is just that, a heads up that you may not be able to play other people.

@fprefect, on Dec 3 2006, 11:43 PM, said in Locally networked game possible?:

As long as both hosts are on the same LAN (and not on separate NATs), it should work -- this is a special case that the client checks for. A couple questions:

Do you see the NAT warning when you enter the lobby?
Does the other guy on your LAN have "Restrictive NAT" next to his name?
Did you actually try inviting him to a game, and it failed?

The warning is just that, a heads up that you may not be able to play other people.

Yes, I saw the warning.

As for the warning, on my lobby screen, it shows me with a Restrictive NAT, but not him. On his lobby screen, it shows him with a Restrictive NAT but not me.

Yes, we tried inviting each other and got the same message each time.

I know we can play on the same keyboard, but this is my eight-year-old, and he'd think it was really cool to play each other from different computers. So, it's worth it to me to jump through a few hoops (but not too many) to make it work.

Thanks

Thanks Andy. I've sent you a private email so that we can track down the problem.

All right then. I will leave this bug up to Matt, as it can be important.

I'm seeing the same thing, for what it's worth. Any suggestions?