"Restrictive NAT"

So I try to do get into some netplay action...and soon learn that due to "Restrictive NAT", I can't attempt to start a game. There is absolutely no documentation, so I can't find what ports are required to set. Does anyone have any clue what they are?

- Bob

There is some documentation about that, in fact, at Matt Slot's site. You probably need to expose UDP port 33333.

Oh, and welcome to Sketchfighter 4000 Alpha, and welcome to the boards. 🙂

I have restrictive NAT too, but as of yet it hasn't prevented me from joining any games. It sounds like there are many flavors of restrictive NAT though, so yours might be less compatible than mine.

Just so you know folks, mine is so restrictive I cannot currently play Internet multiplayer. You won't see me in the tracker until Xmas when I'll have a better access.

@consul-bob, on Nov 30 2006, 07:09 PM, said in "Restrictive NAT":

So I try to do get into some netplay action...and soon learn that due to "Restrictive NAT", I can't attempt to start a game.

The restrictive NAT warning means you can't join another player with a restrictive NAT label. However you can still join other players (even some NAT players), and they can join you. It's just a certain combination of NATs that don't play well with each other.

As for starting a game, you just click the name of another player to invite them. There is no separate step to "host" a game.

There is absolutely no documentation, so I can't find what ports are required to set.

It's UDP port 33333, but try a few games without mucking with your NAT -- I think you'll find the game copes pretty well.

Ah! That explains it! Just don't forget to release that thing with English Translation on Dec 31st 2006 at midnight your time.

Can anyone give out some more details about what the game is doing network-wise?

I set up a NAT redirection for UDP on port 33333 but the tracker still states ŤRestrictive NATť and I still cannot join all players. 😕

Radiofox: I have the same thing as you, except I can only not join one player (Zacha Pedro). What's going on is the NATs are interfering with each other, so you can't connect to the other guy. For a more technical explanation we'll need Matt (fprefect) to come around.