Darwinia for windows

Andcarne, on Apr 18 2005, 08:20 AM, said:

They used an OS X disk image because the game won't run in OS 9. It has been ported for OS X only.
View Post

You see, that the problem. My mac has a 603e/180 for a processor, the weakest of the 5 pre-G3 PPC chips. In theroy I shouldn't even be able to run EVN or Uplink (both "require" a G3), but if that was the case, i wouldn't have a copy of EVN backgrounding while I write this...

On the framerate thing, in theroy you can check your fps in the video options, but in my experiance, checking that sort of thing drops your framerate about 5 fps when you check it, as the game has to divert rescorces in order to calculate how fast its going...

(Note that the above doesn't apply only to Darwinia, it applys to any game that lets you check the framerate on the fly.)

Hunter 1, on Apr 18 2005, 02:31 PM, said:

You see, that the problem. My mac has a 603e/180 for a processor, the weakest of the 5 pre-G3 PPC chips. In theroy I shouldn't even be able to run EVN or Uplink (both "require" a G3), but if that was the case, i wouldn't have a copy of EVN backgrounding while I write this...
View Post

Unless it says it'll run on OS 9, it won't run on OS 9. Most stuff that 'requires' a processor of a certain power or better will run (poorly) on less-powerful processors of the same architecture, but if it's not built to run in your operating system, it's not going to run in your operating system.

Naman is correct. I believe Darwinia was coded in Cocoa, which is a language only supported by Mac OS X. No matter what your processor or system is, unless you run OS X, it will not work. Hence, using a dmg is no real problem. They offer better compression and compatibility then img's anyways.

I would assume it was coded in C++, and it uses SDL and OpenGL for graphics. So probably in theory it could be ported. They aren't going to though, and without a port there's noting you can do with an OS X native binary on OS 9. There'd really be no point porting seen as anyone who can run the game almost certainly must be running OS X anyway.

I suspect the SDL implementations for OS 9 aren't exactly the best maintained either.

Agent_Vast, on Apr 18 2005, 08:59 PM, said:

A week, give or take three days or so.
View Post

The Linux and Windows patches are in beta. We are still waiting for the Mac beta patch. Once the patch is released to the beta testers, it could be a week or three before it is released. Hope for a week, expect a month.

xander

Well at least that gives me time to finish this university project I'm doing off before Darwinia sucks me in again. 🙂 / 😞