What's wrong with my Darwinian count?

Goes up and down for no reason

On level 2, I have a great deal of Darwinians within the interior of the shielded area with the tree and the "example" Darwinians. For some reason, it says I only have 20 if I move them over to where the "example" Darwinians are standing. At first, when I had them directed towards near the main entrance and had them just cluster around there, it stuck around 40 with the first batch and 70 with the second. When I moved them (no new incoming along the path) up and down the hill and into that distant flat area, the count went up into the 100s (as it looked like there were) and then it in explicably dropped down into the 20s. What's going on? I don't see any of them dying or anything in the holding area.

Put them under the tree. On your example Darwinians count too I believe, so move them to the tree as well 🙂

I find it helps if you create a couple officers positioned at the corners to keep the rest corralled.

You need to keep them right under the big tree. Just throw an officer in there with a goto path set right in front of itself and that will keep them fixed in one place. It also keeps them from running into the laser fences and dying.

Either the boundary should be made within the second shield ring or the significance of the big tree should be noted in an update, as I'm willing to bet that a lot of people as dumb as or dumber than myself are confused as hell about this.

If there are enough questions about this, I'll sticky it. This is an issue that has been brought up by most people that have played the game, so I expect it may be resolved in a patch.

I've been having the same problem, but on top of that I was not able to play through the whole level at once. I saved a couple batches and then exited. Once I returned it remembered my progress (Dead enimies, reprogrammed buildings) but did not seem to have my rescued darwinnians saved in the safe area. I don't want to have to start all over again and play straight through the level without stopping just to move on, that's frustrating. Anyone have any ideas/workarounds?

Provided you left the game by exiting through the menus (exit to world map, then use the quit menu option) it should have saved your progress, including the Darwinians. Could you try the level again, and see if that happens again?

Andcarne, on Apr 1 2005, 08:48 PM, said:

Provided you left the game by exiting through the menus (exit to world map, then use the quit menu option) it should have saved your progress, including the Darwinians. Could you try the level again, and see if that happens again?
View Post

Sure, I'll give it a try 🙂

The good doctor does tell you to put them under the tree. If people aren't in the habit of reading things then they'll probably be confused about plenty more than just this.

Guy, on Apr 1 2005, 10:08 PM, said:

The good doctor does tell you to put them under the tree. If people aren't in the habit of reading things then they'll probably be confused about plenty more than just this.
View Post

Yes, but all the ones you start with are not under the tree... so it's a bit misleading.

And your count at the start is nil... so it's not.

Had a few problems with those silly Darwinians getting stuck and just walking round and round an incubator... So I got fustrated (only needing 25 more in the area) and went to bed, just decided to have a look at it this morning and hey! There they were following the route I'd set up with officers. Strange bug, methinks.

Oh yeah and can we have some thing so we can replay a level after we have completed. It doesn't let you currently.

I had a similar problem with "round and round the incubator".

If you want to play the whole game again you can create "new profile" in the world map.

Michael B

This post has been edited by Michael B : 02 April 2005 - 06:20 AM

Ah but you lose your research 😉

Just keep playing through the game. You never know what you can go when you beat it. 😉

mrxak, on Apr 2 2005, 08:04 AM, said:

View Post

Ah, but that depends on people using common sense and making logical connections, mrxak. I'll admit, if I hadn't been keeping an eye on the IV boards, then I would have been tearing out my hair trying to figure this one out, and I still had a hard time with the level.

mrxak, on Apr 2 2005, 12:04 AM, said:

View Post

Well, it could easily be assumed that since you don't have to 'rescue' those ones (They are already safe), they don't count, and as I recall, the good doctor says 'Put them under the tree with the others" so where the others are should be a safe enough place for them, and they should count there.

Regardless, this is a rather silly argument, it's possible that it's not obvious to everyone, and acting superior because you think it should be is a little rude.

I'm just saying that he clearly says to put them under the tree. I don't think I'm rude to point that out.

CJM2, on Apr 2 2005, 02:51 AM, said:

Had a few problems with those silly Darwinians getting stuck and just walking round and round an incubator... So I got fustrated (only needing 25 more in the area) and went to bed, just decided to have a look at it this morning and hey! There they were following the route I'd set up with officers. Strange bug, methinks.

In my case i had about 20 Darwinians dancing in circles on the beach by the machine and dish. No matter what i did with officers, they ignored them. To round them up i had to tediously turn them all into officers and order them to the compound. I've noted other stragglers that don't respond to officers.

I have a question about rounding up the Darwinians. Are there enough to easily get 200 under the tree if you don't have a crappy frame rate and you don't bungle things, letting a bunch float away?
😛